X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Lighting Fixtures

This isn't entirely HT specific (though some of them will be in the HT) but I'm hoping some of the pro electricians/contractors/lighting guys etc that sometimes run through here might offer some pro advice on recommended companies. Knowledgeable "regular Joe's" advice is welcome too :T

I'm not a millionaire, so keep that in mind However I don't mind paying a litlle extra for above average quality. For example if a cheap to average fixture is $40-$60 but there's a company that makes notably higher quality fixtures for $60-$80 I am quite willing to spend the money where it counts. Just please no $600 per fixture companies :lol:

A little background info:

The family/HT room which will require the ability to dim. Also likely more specific "spot" lighting (thinking micro halogens of some sort) for reading over the main seating area that don't throw a lot of light around the room and especially on the screen.

The next area is the kitchen which currently has a hanging light over the table and one of those large flourescent boxes over the prep area and a plain incandescent bulb socket over the sink. No specific requirements other than good overall lighting. Not attached to any of the current fixture types.

For the outside front driveway and back patio I'd like to get some motion detector/photo-sensitive (turn on automatically when it get's dark) spotlights. The biggest problem I have with most of the units I have seen is that they look pretty "utilitarian". I'd love to find something with a little style to it.

FYI we tend to like more contemporary style if that's a factor.

Edit:
    Oh I should mention they need to be available in Canada as well
    Jason
  • Shane Martin
    Super Senior Member
    • Apr 2001

Family room: Have you considered doing canned lighting? Depending on how electrical you are you will have to have these put in by an electrician. Mine charges $70 per can installed with the hardware included.

In the Kitchen: again cans work well here too. Most of the newer houses have these.

Outside we use something like this:
    This outside motion sensor

Comment

• Bent
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2003

Jason - dimming?
      theater?

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Bent
        Jason - dimming?
        theater?
        I'm not sure what your asking there Ben....?

Shane, That's got some more style at least :T Are those available as both photo and motion sensing?
        Jason

Comment

• aud19
          Twin Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2003

Oh and Shane aren't the boxes for those cans usually bigger than the holes for the lights? Makes it kinda hard to retrofit...
          Jason

Comment

• Shane Martin
            Super Senior Member
            • Apr 2001

I'd have to ask my electrician. He is cheap cheap for installing canned lighting.
            Are those available as both photo and motion sensing?
            I believe this is motion only. I bought it at Lowes which I would assume you have in the Great North.

Once you install the lighting in the TV room, just install a lutron dimmer and you can remotely dim your lights or use the x10 devices. both work well.

Comment

• aud19
              Twin Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2003

Yeah I plan on heading in the Lutron direction down the line :T My mention of the dimming criteria is that I've heard that some types and lower quality brands of lights don't play nicely with dimming all the time. Also that if using inferior products can introduce noise etc.

Which brings me back to my original post.

I'm really just looking for the better brand names, I'll figure it out from there... I know things like Hitachi and Mitsubishi make the better CRT RPTV's, Pansonic makes the best plasma's for the money, probably Pioneer overall but more$$ etc... I just have no clue what lighting companies to look at :lol:
              Last edited by aud19; 23 February 2006, 20:48 Thursday.
              Jason

Comment

• RobP
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Nov 2004

Jason, you may want to look into http://www.kichler.com/kichlercatalog.jsp,
                They make really nice fixtures, some of their lights are not cheap, I used alot of their small halogen recessed lights in my kitchen when I built it, I used Lutron dimmers and have never had a problem with humming. Also alot of humming problems come from using inferior bulbs, so dont skimp on that end.
                Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• aud19
                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2003

Thanks Robert :T
                  Jason

Comment

• RobP
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Nov 2004

Hey jason, I almost forgot, make sure you get lights that are full IC rated(meaning that they can come in contact with insulation), if you get the NON-IC and space is limited you run into overheating, also it is very hard to seal these type of lights, so you can end up with drafts etc...
                    Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• RobP
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Nov 2004

Originally posted by aud19
                      Oh and Shane aren't the boxes for those cans usually bigger than the holes for the lights? Makes it kinda hard to retrofit...
                      Jason, when you buy the can lights they usually come in two styles, remodel and new construction, the remodels use pressure clips or springs and bascily hold themselves up using the sheetrock, if you use new construction you have to buy rails that attach between the rafters. On both make sure to use flex metal romex with grommets on the j-boxes.
                      You probably know this but make sure not to put to many can lights on your dimmers, they are usually rated at 15amps, so calculate the number of cans and assume that each will use a 100w bulb (even though you may only run 60w) this leaves a little breathing room for heat and overload issues.
                      Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• Bent
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Sep 2003

actually you'd be hard pressed to find a dimmer good for 15 amps (1800 watts @ 120volts), most decora type dimmers are 600 watts, but for a price can be had in the 1000 watt variety. PLease note if you gang them (more than one per j-box) that you'll need to break off a portion of the heat sink to fit them in,. and this will result in having tho derate them bu 100 watts per piece removed.

Comment

• Club1820
                          • Jan 2006

Bent, I am currently refinishing my basement. Including the install of canned lighting and dimmers, both single-pole and three-way. Just curious, you say that if you gang more than one dimmer, a portion of the heat sink would need to be broken off.? I actually have 4 dimmers in one box, 2ea 3ways and 2ea single pole. I did not have to break off anything to get them to fit. The dimmers however are rated 600 watt but the 3 ways are only controlling 390 watts in total. Did I do something wrong by not breaking anything off?

The dimmers do get warm to the touch but I have spoken to several electricians and they told me this was normal and some heat was expected. That I should be fine with my install.

what do you think?
                          Rotel 1068, Rotel 1060, Rotel 1055, Rotel 1095, Rotel 956, Rotel RLC-1040, M&K VX-860 Sub, Whatmough M30s, Squeezebox 3

Comment

• aud19
                            Twin Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2003

Good info on the dimmers guys :T I don't think I'll do cans I'm thinking some low profile modern fixture with halogens or something. Maybe I'll look up some local lighting companies and go browse this weekend....
                            Jason

Comment

• Chris D
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Dec 2000

Jason, I too would recommend Lutron. In my theater, I'm happy with what I did. All the lighting itself is actually really cheap--canned lighting in the ceiling, rope lighting under the riser and stage, exit sign over the door. The cheapest and probably coolest effect in my theater is putting lights in the top of the columns. All I did was go to Home Depot and buy their cheapest porch light, just a $3.50 or so light that bolts to a vertical wall and holds a light bulb straight up from a 90 degree bend. Then I put the columns around them so they're hidden. Indirect lighting can be a powerful tool.

The cool thing is, though, my lighting fixtures are all hidden or subdued, so they don't look cheap.

But in the lighting CONTROL, I really sank my money. 6 zone Grafik Eye, fully controllable and customizable. Powerful control.
                              CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                              - Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"