X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PewterTA
    • Nov 2004

Stairway Lighting

Alright...

So I've been looking at trying to illuminate the stairway down into the gameroom/HT room. The hallway upstairs has a light (about 8 to 10ft away from the stairs), but at the bottom of the stairs there is no "direct" lighting onto the stairs. Which makes the stairs definitely dark if you don't have all the lights on upstairs in the hallway and downstairs in the game room.

What I'm trying to figure out is how to light the stairs or what some other have done in this situation.

I've looked at "track" type lighting to sit under the lip of the stairs (which are carpeted) to illuminate them or putting up flush mounted pods on the walls to illuminate a couple of steps.

Another thought I had was to put in recessed lighting into the ceiling of the steps, but I'm not sure if that would be annoying coming down the steps or not. Or do some type of under rail lighting to shine down on the steps (maybe route out a channel to put some LED strips in to light up).

I'd also like to figure out (depending on the cost here) how to add maybe an ambient light sensor or better yet a motion detector to turn them on when someone is using the stairs and off when not in use. If that cost is too much I can just put in two switches one up top and the other at the bottom to turn them off and on...but it'd be nice to not have to worry about forgetting and leaving them on all the time.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated, I've just been surfing the net trying to figure out what I want to do with them. But someone with some knowledge would be very nice! :B

-Dan
    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
    -Dan
  • RobP
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

I would do recessed lighting shooting straight down, this will create even lighting going up and down the stairs. You dont want shadows that could cause a mis-step.

As far as the switch goes, they make a wall mountable motion detection light switch that takes places of a regular light switch.

Another option that we have used in theaters is to mount a rail on each side of the wall and install tivoli lighting underneath it, this provides a continuous path of light that shines down on the step, but since it is indirect does not cause a glare.
    Here is an example, I like to use a little larger rail so you don't actually see the light itself like pictured here, but it gives you an idea.

Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

Lots of options. (1) ceiling light(s). (2) lip lights installed under the lip of each stair, or every other one, creating consistent lighting as you go down. (3) My last theater, I had rope light running just under the lip of the riser and stage. That created a neat effect. would be tough to do it on a flight of stairs, though. I guess as a cheap solution you could run the rope lighting down the baseboard on the side of the stairs!

(4) What my dad's house has, is along the stair, one of these (shown life-size-ish) placed in the wall along the baseboard, every 2-3 steps, shining down and slightly across the steps from the side. Placed consistently, it creates a nice, clean look that provides even lighting that is very pleasant to see and use.

CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
      - Pleasantville

Comment

• Hdale85
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

I've seen some fiber optic kits from time to time for doing spots along the wall by the stairs. Kind of neat, used LED's which means very little electricity. Not sure how hard they would be to install though? More then likely something along the lip of each step or something is going to be easiest.

Comment

• PewterTA
          • Nov 2004

Yeah I'm sort of leading the LED way and I'm thinking of the strips (like in Rob's picture), but I'm not sure if the edging will look right with the steps...

I'm thinking of doing this... except hiding the lighting and wiring better...

or potentially grabbing (or making) the same thing as these...

Chris, I like the plates with the lights, I could probably do two or three on one side and it would light them up well. Does your dad have them installed on a switch?

But this is how bad the lighting is in the stairs, even with the cell phone camera it's almost identical to how dark the stairs are...

-Dan

Comment

• RobP
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Nov 2004

That is dark!

I do see some prime real estate there that is screaming for some artwork or movie posters! You could do some low voltage track lighting to create a wash on the walls to feature the artwork and light the steps at the same time.
            Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• Hdale85
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2006

I like those kits you links to with the 3 LED's they look very nice.

Comment

• Bmac
                • Aug 2006

Royal pacific makes some really low priced lighting. Seagull is another company that you might check. I'm not promoting any of this, but I've sold some of both.

Epson Home Cinema 1080p, Panasonic TH42PX600U, Onkyo PR-SC 886, Earthquake Cinenova 7, Sony 400 Disk dvd, Paradigm studio 20' v.4s, Outlaw LFM-1 & LFM-2,Tripp lite line cond, Toshiba HD-A2 HD DVD, Playstation 3, Roku, & WD TV, APC AV H15

Comment

• Bmac
                  • Aug 2006

Look at the Watt stopper WS-200 occupancy sensors. I've sold several, and I've got them in my home. They are very adjustable, and they aren't an eye sore.

Wattstopper lighting control products are designed to meet code, ensure ease of installation, and enable the control of light. Learn more.
                  Epson Home Cinema 1080p, Panasonic TH42PX600U, Onkyo PR-SC 886, Earthquake Cinenova 7, Sony 400 Disk dvd, Paradigm studio 20' v.4s, Outlaw LFM-1 & LFM-2,Tripp lite line cond, Toshiba HD-A2 HD DVD, Playstation 3, Roku, & WD TV, APC AV H15

Comment

• KeithM
                    • Oct 2005

I think track lighting would look good mounted on the ceiling area pointed directly down on the steps. You could also angle some bulbs towards the wall and illuminate art to make it more than a staircase.

Comment

• PewterTA
                      • Nov 2004

Anything in the ceiling would have to be flush mounted as the ceiling isn't all that high to hang anything down off of it, without someone hitting their head. I just painted the whole stairway and it has really brightened it up.

Now to figure out if I want the steps lit or the light up some pictures along the wall... Tough decisions!
                      -Dan

Comment

• Finleyville
                        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by PewterTA
                        Anything in the ceiling would have to be flush mounted as the ceiling isn't all that high to hang anything down off of it, without someone hitting their head. I just painted the whole stairway and it has really brightened it up.

Now to figure out if I want the steps lit or the light up some pictures along the wall... Tough decisions!
                        Is your head closer than 6" from the ceiling? That is the total height of all my track lighting in my place. If you have that clearance then I would take down the light in your upper hallway and tap into that for multiple mini lights for the whole hall and step area.
                        BE ALERT! The world needs more lerts.

Comment

• cafstudios
                          • Feb 2009

Originally posted by PewterTA
                          Yeah I'm sort of leading the LED way and I'm thinking of the strips (like in Rob's picture), but I'm not sure if the edging will look right with the steps...

I'm thinking of doing this... except hiding the lighting and wiring better...

or potentially grabbing (or making) the same thing as these...

Chris, I like the plates with the lights, I could probably do two or three on one side and it would light them up well. Does your dad have them installed on a switch?

But this is how bad the lighting is in the stairs, even with the cell phone camera it's almost identical to how dark the stairs are...

I really like the looks of the storesense ones.

Comment

• Thirsty93
                            • Jan 2009

looks like it would work good
                            Your sound room is only limited by the amount of money in your pocket.

Comment

• sokoban
                              • Apr 2006

I just saw this thread, but have any of you looked into electroluminescent tape?

Comment

• Renron
                                • Jan 2008

Originally posted by sokoban
                                I just saw this thread, but have any of you looked into electroluminescent tape?
                                http://electroluminescence-inc.com/ELtape.htm
                                Very cool stuff EL tape,
                                I was thinking you could use rope lighting along the baseboard of the stairs. It would be easy to attach and terminate using an existing wall plug or be creative and use the 3 way switch at the top and bottom of the stairs. You DO have a 3 way switch in those locations, don't you? I have rope lighting above my kitchen cabinets crown moulding which I held down off the ceiling about 1 1/2", the light is white with a yellow/orange tint. Looks exactly like theater floor lighting in color and brightness.

Ron
                                Attached Files
                                Ardent TS

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"