X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bamaredwingsfan
    • Dec 2004

Speaker Height

I just purchased a house with a 15 x 30 living room, an i was wondering at what height i should place the surrounds? I will have a 7.1 set up, with my couch about 10 feet from the rear wall, an 20 feet from the TV.

I also have a sony 12 self powered woofer and a pioneer 6 1/2 woofer that is not self powered. My question is could i take an mount the pioneer woofer at the rear of the room between the rear surrounds, an get my signal an power from the sony 12 that in the front of the room? Or will this only be overkill, an not needed?
    Quotes from
    The Matrix Reloaded

Merovingian: I love French wine, like I the French language. I have sampled every language, French is my favorite. Fantastic language. Especially to curse with. Nom de dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperie de connard d'enculé de ta mère. It's like wiping your ass with silk. I love it.

http://www.myspace.com/bamaredwingsfan19

• WCS
    • Aug 2005

I have heard of people running a surround subwoofer, to get some better bass effects out of the rear surrounds, just a thought. As far as your sub question, I dont think the pioneer sub is gonna make a noticable differance you may not even be able to tell its hooked up. If your sub is not powered you will need more then just a signal, and I dont beleave you will be able to jump off of the sony like you wanna.You will need some power going into it coming directly off the amp. Unless you are running high inputs into the sony, which you are prolly only running 1 rca LFE to it, in which case it wont work. However if you run it threw the rear surrounds that sub will be on when the other is not. Eithier way, the best way to tell is to try it for yourself, and let us know what you think. Good Luck!

Comment

• WCS
      • Aug 2005

I should have asked this question 1st sorry, How do you have your sony sub hooked up?

Comment

• bamaredwingsfan
        • Dec 2004

Originally posted by WCS
        I should have asked this question 1st sorry, How do you have your sony sub hooked up?
        I have a mono hook up from the reciever to the sony sub. The sony sub has some outputs on the back of the amp for push in type speaker cable hookups. That is why i thought i might could hook up the other sub to the sony.
        Quotes from
        The Matrix Reloaded

Merovingian: I love French wine, like I the French language. I have sampled every language, French is my favorite. Fantastic language. Especially to curse with. Nom de dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperie de connard d'enculé de ta mère. It's like wiping your ass with silk. I love it.

Comment

• WCS
          • Aug 2005

Iam pretty sure that anything you plug into the outputs on the sub is going to be crossed over and I dont think the sub amp will feed the other sub power, it will still be pulling power from the receiver and only sending high frequencys to it. I dont think it will work, buy all means hook it up first and see if it works, maybe another member can chime in and give you a hand. Iam not so sure this fourm is that active. Good Luck!!

Comment

• bamaredwingsfan
            • Dec 2004

Originally posted by WCS
            Iam pretty sure that anything you plug into the outputs on the sub is going to be crossed over and I dont think the sub amp will feed the other sub power, it will still be pulling power from the receiver and only sending high frequencys to it. I dont think it will work, buy all means hook it up first and see if it works, maybe another member can chime in and give you a hand. Iam not so sure this fourm is that active. Good Luck!!
            You can say that again, i don't think this forum is that active either. But every little bit helps. I also have another question. I will be using 2 100watt speakers, an 2 60watt speakers. My question is, what channels should i use the 100watt speakers on the side or the rear? I have always wondered which set puts out the most wattage the side or the rear?
            Quotes from
            The Matrix Reloaded

Comment

• WCS
              • Aug 2005

I think you are refering to your surround sounds 7.1? I would say the sides. The backs in a 7.1 set up is mono to the best of my knowledge. What speakers and what receiver are you using?

Comment

• bamaredwingsfan
                • Dec 2004

Its a sony STR-DE697 7.1 reciever 100 x 7. The speakers are older pioneer surround speakers i have had for a while. They originally came in a pioneer 5.1 home theatre box. I have got all my wires run across the living room through the attic. I have did as professional a job as i can do, an this job is turning into a nightmare!

First nite we got the holes cut in the walls for the jack plates, an got the brackets mounted for the back surrounds to hang on. Ran all the wire an was ready to drill a hole at the other end of the room to send the wires down to the master plate where everything will be tied together in a nice neat jackplate. Well we get the hole drilled to send the wires down the interior wall in the living room from up in the attic, an low an behold we hit a cross brace bout 4 foot down inside the wall :M Now were trying to figure out how to get throught this obstruction! We are only about one hole away from being done, an its really being hell from here on out! Everything depends on getting throught this brace or the whole effort will be for nothing.

Any ideas?
                Quotes from
                The Matrix Reloaded

Comment

• WCS
                  • Aug 2005

Wow, I feel for you with this situation. Iam coming up with blanks to say anything to help with this situation. Maybe you have a power outlet or cable outlet on that wall, you can try running them down where those wires are and you will have to move your connection box if you are able to get the wire out of a power outlet or cable outlet you can jump it back to the connection block.

I cam up with another option that I have done before. Say your 4ft down into the wall with your wires but your stuck, drill your self a hole so you can fish out the wire 4ft down or where you think the wires are. Once you get the wire out of the wall, grab a utility knife, hammer and a chizzle. Cut 2 lines about an inch apart (so your wires can fit in it) down to your connection block, go over the lines many times to make sure you cut threw the drywall or you can use a jig saw which would be easier, but. Once you do that start removing the drywall carefully between the 2 lines, Once thats done, run the wire down to your box. Get yourself some patch at home depot and a putty knife and fill up the about 4ft 1inch hole. Sand the line so it looks all pretty and paint it. Iam thinking you have a 8ft ceiling so you will only have to go 4ft. Its not as easy as what you where looking to do but it will produce the same final result. This maybe your only option.

If you have a dremal with a round stone or sandpaper tip you can cut the channel in 2mins, you only need to be able to get the wire in this channel, you may not have to cut the drywall entirely ou, just enough to get the wire in it. Keep me posted!

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

I wouldn't bother trying to work up a solution for the small pioneer sub. It is possible but nto without spending some money and frankly its not worth it for that unit. The sony sub you have will have a low level input that you're using from the receiver. This is a dedicated line for the low freq's. The subwoofer also has some high level outputs that you saw. These are intended for systems that do not have a dedicated low level output from the receiver and in your case aren't needed. What you'd typically use them for is that you'd run the front left and right speaker cables to the sub first and then run some speaker cable from the sub to the fronts and use the cross over in the subwoofer to filter out the lows from the highs etc. In your case though your receiver is doing this already and has a dedicated low level output that you can run to the subwoofer which makes it much easier to install and in most cases with better sound quality.

As for the surrounds they are typically mounted 1-2 feet above your head when seated and I'd suggest following the install diagrams on the www.dolby.com site for placement if at all possible.

For the cross brace you can get flexible extensions for drills that would allow you to add a long straigh extension to drill though the cross beam...that or cut another hole closer to the cross beam and just patch it later.

Comment

• bamaredwingsfan
                      • Dec 2004

I came up with 2 possible solutions to the crossbrace problem.

1. Since the living room wall is also a hall way wall on the other side, im thinking about getting a double gangbox, and a plain white plate, cutting a hole in the hallway wall even an just above the crossbrace. Drilling out a hole in the crossbrace, then feeding the wires down to the crossbrace, an now i can successfully feed the wires through the cross brace by hand via the new access hole, that once the job is done, i will cover up with the white plate. An then i will have an access panel to use if i decide to run more wiring in the future.

2. Get 3 or 4 extentions an drill the hole out from up in the attic, an then send the wires down that way.

That access panel from solution 1 will be in the hallway, an the hall way is white sheetrock in color. I think this solution will be the overall best the way home theatre changes now adays, it will be good to have that panel to use.
                      Quotes from
                      The Matrix Reloaded

Comment

• bamaredwingsfan
                        • Dec 2004

Well we used solution 1, an i must say that i am happy we did, not only was it cheaper, but easier too. Got the system completed last nite, an watched topgun in 6.1 DTS-ES an it sounded like i was sitting on the aircraft carriers deck during the movie! I will post some pictures an stats on the job later this weekend! :T
                        Quotes from
                        The Matrix Reloaded

Comment

• WCS
                          • Aug 2005

Hey great to hear, Just so you know BestBuy has got Superbit DVDs on sale for $9.99 each. The Superbit™ titles utilize a special high bit rate digital encoding process which optimizes video quality while offering a choice of both DTS and Dolby Digital 5.1 audio. It really is a great thing.

Comment

• bamaredwingsfan
                            • Dec 2004

Finally i have the bulk of the work done. All i really need to do now is tidy up the behind the tv wiring with some zip ties, an flex tubing, an my job will be complete!
                            1. The infamous access panel in the hallway!

2. The rear surround channel setup

3. Right side surround speaker

4. A surround speaker upclose

5. The view from my couch thats 20 feet away!

6. The wiring panel behind the TV
                            Quotes from
                            The Matrix Reloaded

Comment

• David Meek
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2000

Kinda late getting to this thread. My apologies, but it's been a horrendous two-weeks at work. All I can say is "very nice work". :T

Hmmm. Looks like someone might be a 'Tide fan, eh?

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• bamaredwingsfan
                                • Dec 2004

Originally posted by David Meek
                                Kinda late getting to this thread. My apologies, but it's been a horrendous two-weeks at work. All I can say is "very nice work". :T

Hmmm. Looks like someone might be a 'Tide fan, eh?
                                Oh yeah, since birth ive been a tide fan :T

I also have a question, i would like to tidy up the wiring behind the tv an reciever, but i also have an x-box i need to throw into the mix before i wrap up everything. So any suggestions would be appreciated. All i need now to complete my set up is to get me an outside antenna, i live bout halfway between birmingham and huntsville, (bout 45 miles to each). Any suggestions for an antenna? I live on a fairly high spot in town so i really don't no tall buildings to worry with, except for a few trees in my yard.
                                Quotes from
                                The Matrix Reloaded

Comment

• WCS
                                  • Aug 2005

Glad to see you got it all worked out.

Comment

• Azeke
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Mar 2003

I've found this URL useful for antenna information.

Antenna

Hope this helps,

Azeke

Comment

• WCS
                                      • Aug 2005

Just woundering are your front speakers still sitting on the floor?

Comment

• bamaredwingsfan
                                        • Dec 2004

Yeah they are probally too big to hang on the wall. I do plan later to mount the center surround higher up on the wall with a bracket, an i would like to get some smaller speakers to hook up, an mount them higher up on the wall, an use the floor speakers as 2-channel stereo speakers.
                                        Quotes from
                                        The Matrix Reloaded

Comment

• bamaredwingsfan
                                          • Dec 2004

Originally posted by WCS
                                          Just woundering are your front speakers still sitting on the floor?
                                          Yes at the moment they are sitting on the floor. Would my front speakers sound better if they was on stands? Also if i took my center channel speaker an sit it on the floor in front of the TV would that sound better, or should it be up high behind the TV?
                                          Quotes from
                                          The Matrix Reloaded

Comment

• David Meek
                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by bamaredwingsfan
                                            Yes at the moment they are sitting on the floor. Would my front speakers sound better if they was on stands?
                                            Yes - absolutely! Especially if you get stands that are capable of being filled with sand or shot (the legs that is). Having your speakers on the floor is sonically similar to throwing a blanket over them - no kidding. You'll be amazed at the difference in what you hear.

Also if i took my center channel speaker an sit it on the floor in front of the TV would that sound better, or should it be up high behind the TV?
                                            Set the center-channel on a short stand so that the top of it is just below the bottom edge of the screen. Setting it on top of the TV will enable the TV to become a resonant cavity affecting the speaker's sound which causes boomy or muddy sounding vocals. Angle the speaker upwards just a tiny bit so that it's pointing straight at your ear-level when you are in your primary seat.

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                                              • Sep 2001

Quote:
                                              Originally Posted by bamaredwingsfan
                                              Yes at the moment they are sitting on the floor. Would my front speakers sound better if they was on stands?
                                              Yes - absolutely! Especially if you get stands that are capable of being filled with sand or shot (the legs that is). Having your speakers on the floor is sonically similar to throwing a blanket over them - no kidding. You'll be amazed at the difference in what you hear.
                                              The key word in your question is "my" -- the speakers you show us in your pics are "bookshelf" or "monitor" type speakers and as David correctly points out, they will ALWAYS sound better when mounted on properly designed stands. The sonic benefits will be just as he describes.

However there are other speaker designs such as large tower or floor-standing flat panel speakers that would not necessarily benefit from being put on stands. But since you do not have those, by all means go for the stands.

David's point about "aiming" the center channel speaker toward the listener's ears is also very important. I've witnessed some home theater installations where the center was either above the screen and "aimed" above the listeners' heads (by being positioned "flat" on a shelf) or "aimed" at their feet by being near the floor and positiioned straight ahead, and in either case the dialog was muffled-sounding until they tilted the speaker so it was firing directly toward the listener's ears.

In the case of the speaker on a shelf (not recommended, but better than on top of the TV) , they also benefitted from bringing the front edge of the speaker to the front edge of the shelf, thus avoiding reflections that diminush clarity.

Put yours on stands as recommemded and it'll probably sound like you've upgraded to higher end speakers -- without spending nearly as much money getting the improvement!

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• David Meek
                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                • Aug 2000

Here's a good example of what I was referring to. And at a very good price no less!

WMT's TMT series

Comment

• bamaredwingsfan
                                                  • Dec 2004

I bought me some stands yesterday for my bookshelf speakers, all i need now is a stand for my center speaker. But i know what your talking about, when you said the sound will be better when you get the speakers up off the floor. I have my center speakers sitting on the box my xbox came in, an it really sounds totally different, but a whole lot better. :T
                                                  Quotes from
                                                  The Matrix Reloaded

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                    • Aug 2000

I wouldn't use lead shot with kids around. The risk is just too great for the minimal gain over say sand or kitty litter (seriously!)

Comment

• David Meek
                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                      • Aug 2000

Lead shot??? No way. Steel only - BBs work fine and you can buy them at any Walmart in carton-sized quantities.

Comment

Working...
                                                      😀
                                                      😂
                                                      🥰
                                                      😘
                                                      🤢
                                                      😎
                                                      😞
                                                      😡
                                                      👍
                                                      👎
                                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                      Search Result for "|||"