X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BW4me
    • Nov 2005

Adding rear surrounds advice needed

I currently have a pair of CDM7NT's for my speakers with the matching CDMCNT center. I'm now trying to decide what to ad as my rear surrounds. I've been temporarily using my old paradigm bookshelfs some of the time because I have to set them up on a counter behind seating and run the wire across the floor.

For a permanent set up I'm considering ceiling b&W's or maybe the matching rear CDM1NT's, which I would have to mount on side walls about eight feet high behind seating area. This is because I have a great room area with no wall between family room and kitchen.

I could really using some advice on what would make for the best set for the rear speakers.

Thanks,

Steve
  • Audiophiliac
    • Apr 2006

Either way, you will be happy. The new CCM817 have been really great for us. The grills are fun to put in, but they sound great! Or the CCM80 is also a great choice for in ceilings.

Comment

• RenoReno2
      • Jan 2005

I've always been told if your system is for HT only then it really doesn't matter to have the surrounds perfectly matched. If your listening to Multichannel audio then it would be highly recommended to have matching surrounds. And of course if your worried about cosmetics at all then you want matching rears.

Comment

• LikeCoiledSteel
        • May 2004

Hi BW,
        I have the same speakers as you and just added the CDM1NT's as my surrounds. Before I was using the 7NT's, CDMCNT and some older Polks as surrounds. It was ok for movies but there was a difference for the better when I added the 1NT's. It really depends on what performance level you want. For multi-channel music, the 1NT's are needed as the best match. For movies, I still recommend the 1NT's but you can get away with other brands.
        My couch is against the back wall of my living room and I have the 1NT's on some decorative storage towers about 6 ft. high. Before I had them on 3ft. speaker stands. To me they sound better being higher, but all rooms are different. Good luck.
        Steel

Comment

• BW4me
          • Nov 2005

Thanks Steel - I am leaning toward the 1NT's. I would just have to make it work for cosmetics to wife's satisfaction being mounted up on side walls and then find a used pair somewhere in same finish.

Do you angle yours down towards ears?

Audiophiliac - Do you use your ceiling speakers with other inwalls or another series?

Comment

• LikeCoiledSteel
            • May 2004

What finish do you have? I have the Red Cherry. I have not angled it down because they are so close to my couch that I do not fell it will make a difference. We have some dark wood decorative towers and we out the 1NT's on those. They match well because the Red Cherry has some dark in it. Actually my wife suggested we use those. She was right. I bought some fun tak (Blue Tak) and used that to attach to the towers, they are pretty solid. I will try to get a pic.
            Steel

Comment

• Blindamood
              • Sep 2003

I'm currently using 1NTs for the rear channels as well. Mine are black ash. I'm in the process of upgrading to all 800 series (so far 805S and HTM4S in front). If you need black ash, I may consider selling soon...

(Pics of my setup are posted on pg 3 of B&W pics thread.)
              Brad

Comment

• BW4me
                • Nov 2005

My other location possibility for rear speakers like the CDM1NT's is a plant shelf behind where we would sit. The speakers would set eight ft high and they would be fourteen ft behind sitting location.

Would this work for rear surrounds or would it be so far away that I would loose the effectiveness of having them?

Steve

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"