• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eduardo
    Moderator emeritus
    • Jun 2002

For the Dell Laptop Junkies

This seems like an amazing deal.

DellSB - Inspiron 5150 Laptop with P4-M 3.06Ghz, 15" 1400x1050 LCD, 60GB HD, 64MB ATI Radeon Mobility 9000, CD-RW/DVD Combo for $1395.30 after Rebate with FREE Shipping!

How`s this for a high end laptop? You get a full 3.06Ghz Mobile Pentium 4 processor (not the cheaper desktop chip), 15" 1400x1050 (SXGA+) resolution TFT, 256MB DDR SDRAM, a HUGE 60GB Ultra/ATA HD, 64MB ATI Radeon Mobility 9000 video (not just the 32MB one), DVD-ROM/CD-RW Combo Drive, 10/100 NIC, 56k modem, 96WHr lithium ion battery, Microsoft Windows XP home, and a 1 year warranty! It comes out to just $1395.30 after 10% off coupon and $150 mail in rebate.

Start here at Dell Small Business Featured Laptops. DELLSB
    Click on Customize It under Inspiron 5150 $1,349
    All of the options for the lowest cost should already be selected. We want to choose the freebies, the rebate, plus get the price above $1699 so we can use the 10% off coupon. This is what we would suggest:
    Free Upgrade 24X CD-RW/DVD Combo Drive Special Offer
    $150 Mail in Rebate Special Offer
    60GB Ultra ATA Hard Drive [add $139 or $4/month]
    64MB ATi MOBILITY™ RADEON™ 9000 [add $79 or $3/month] Dell Recommended

Scroll to the bottom and click on Continue
    Scroll to the bottom and click on Continue
    Scroll to the bottom and click on Add to cart
    Use coupon code: 17AF8E48BFD for 10% off an Inspiron or Lattitude purchase of $1699+ (Expires 7/23/03)
    Shipping is free. Send in the $150 mail in rebate (Expires 6/18/03). REBATE
    Remember, if you don`t have a business, you can use your own name as the business name. In fact, that`s a good idea, since the rebate is made out to the company name.

http://home.nc.rr.com/ejimenez
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

That's a very nice notebook...I only wish they'd make that ATI 9000 available for us 5100 owners (looks like it will fit perfectly we just need a BIOS upgrade to see it)

Comment

• Jeff Kowerchuk
      • Sep 2000

Not bad, but as always a couple of 'catches' with Dell deals.

Biggest one is the warranty. IMHO, a notebook needs more than a 1 year warranty, unless it acts as a desktop and is never moved around. The chance for damage on the typical notebook is much greater than a desktop AND, if anything does go wrong outside of warranty, it is gonna be expensive to fix. I don't know what terms that warranty has, but at the very least I think one must get the at-home service, as opposed to the return to depot. Of course, if you don't always need a computer and can be without it for a week or so, its no biggie. I'd want a minimum of 3 year warranty with at home service. The next step is CompleteCare. Yup, you pay for it...but then you're covered if you accidentally drop it. Another important consideration if it is moving about alot. I think Dell offers these deals with 1 year warranties so cheap because they know they will get their money back at some point when it needs repairing.

Also, after having used our 5100 and my 8500, I can say the screen is the next issue. Anything less than an UltraSharp screen is a waste of time. I think ALL screens should be UltraSharp. The regular model has such poor contrast and viewing angles, it is a complete waste of time.

Anyway, just my two cents. As I said before, I don't think there are any REAL Dell deals. Well, maybe apart from the one Trev got.

Comment

• Bing Fung
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Aug 2000

Jeff has the idea... :P

Dell is very savy in it's pricing schemes. It's all good if you can live with all the stripped down features, however once you start adding on the good stuff that makes a laptop a joy to own, it becomes expensive again.

That deal above looks to be a pretty good one regardless, and that's what a person has to look for when buying from Dell, just be sure it's what you really want, for it's expensive to upgrade later, if at all.

Thanks for posting it EJ, did you press submit ?

Bing
        Bing

Comment

• Eduardo
          Moderator emeritus
          • Jun 2002

No way. I'm very happy with my new pc . I also have a work laptop and an old IBM personal laptop.

http://home.nc.rr.com/ejimenez

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"