• Show
Clear All
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Which-oh-which DVD Writer...?

So I'm mostly looking at the:

LG GSA4082B MSRP of $119CA

It does every format including write to DVD-RAM :P (not that I'll likely ever use it :lol: ) but apparently has less than stellar CD-R/CD-RW speeds(hope to keep my current burner anyways) and is apprently good but not as good as the best.

Was also considering the Pioneer DVR-107D MSRP of $135CA

It's supposed to be faster than the LG but doesn do RAM, (do I care?) costs a little more and reportedly has some difficulty in ... ahem "backing up" ahem... copyrighted material.... Though I haven't heard anything regarding the LG in that respect, good or bad....?

Any thoughts? Any other recommended writers?

Thanks folks

Jason
    Jason
  • Gordon Moore
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Feb 2002

Well....if you get a liteon...
    the 4x can be flashed to an 8x FWIW.
    Liteon is a very good brand...I'd say go that route instead of LG. It's a very popular brand and well supported by the mod community.

A bit of 6 of 1/2 and a dozen....

I've had next to zero trouble with transcoders and the Liteon...

software includes DVDXCopy Lite....which works pretty good for a one button backup. DVDShrink is another good (and free) choice.
    Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

Well I was looking at the LiteOn (I currently have LiteOn DVD-ROM and CD-RW drives) but it doesn't do RAM and and is only 8X/4X. When you say it can be flashed to 8X do you mean the 4X/4X can be flashed to 8X/4X or the 8X/4X can be flashed to 8X/8X? Other than that it seemed pretty much the same as the LG for about the same $ and I always like to get more for the same $ :B

BTW does anyone know the difference between all LiteOn's 8X drives?!? They all appear to have the same stats http://www.liteonit.com/ODD/English/...e_dvd%20rw.asp

Jason
      Jason

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

Also, I imagine (based on the name) DVDShrink allows you to remove things like french language tracks, "documentaries" (riiiight :roll: )etc? What about DVDXCopy Lite? What software are you guys using for backups?

Jason
        Jason

Comment

• JonMarsh
          Mad Max Moderator
          • Aug 2000

I have a Liteon DVD-RW burner also, external model on USB2, so I can "share" it with the various computers at home. Works fine so far for my uses.

Though I have DVD D-Cryptor, and some of the other more "heavy duty" tools, I'm mostly using DVD Shrink since the final 3.1 version came out; pretty massive update and bug fix from the earlier betas, and the few problems I originally had with it (on certain disks, like "Runaway Bride") have been banished. Burning is with Nero Ultra- why use anything else? And DVD Shrink was designed to play with Nero Ultra directly anyway.

I do my CD burning with an external Yamaha, which has some good features for audio burning.

~Jon
          the AudioWorx
          Natalie P
          M8ta
          Modula Neo DCC
          Modula MT XE
          Modula Xtreme
          Isiris
          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
          Minerva Monitor
          Calliope
          Ardent D

In Development...
          Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
          Obi-Wan
          Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
          Modula PWB
          Calliope CC Supreme
          Natalie P Ultra
          Natalie P Supreme
          Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
          Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Gordon Moore
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Feb 2002

Xcopy lite doesn't give you options...you get the movie only and the chapter stops but no menus...the tradeoff is that you don't have a mini-version of your DVD. The upside is that the quality is quite high because it strips out everything (including the layer change). But DVDshrink gives you more flexibility.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

I'm using an NEC burner that so far has been flawless for me. I've used DVDShrink as well for some back up purposes and its a great freeware app.

Comment

• Gordon Moore
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Feb 2002

4X/4X can be flashed to 8X/4X
                Correct...I believe there is a flash now to 8/8 but you have to have a certain model.

It doesn't matter that much to me...4X is very fast (15mins)....considering how long transcoding takes waiting for a burn is pretty minor.

Comment

• Gordon Moore
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Feb 2002

Incidently, if you don't have Nero...which melds nicely with DVDShrink and is the only compatible burning app....

for (free) you can use a combination of IMGTool classic and DVDDecrypter to burn the DVD.

Works just as well but adds an extra step (and time) because IMGTool creates and .iso and then DVDDecrypter burns that image.

Comment

• aud19
                    Twin Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Gordon Moore
                    Xcopy lite doesn't give you options...you get the movie only and the chapter stops but no menus...the tradeoff is that you don't have a mini-version of your DVD. The upside is that the quality is quite high because it strips out everything (including the layer change). But DVDshrink gives you more flexibility.
                    What about discs with multiple soundtracks ie: a DTS and DD? Does it allow you to pick which one you want or both?

Jason
                    Jason

Comment

• aud19
                      Twin Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2003

Incidently, if you don't have Nero...
                      I have the version of Nero that came with my LiteOn 52X CD-burner... Can't remember the version but it's pretty recent and I'm pretty sure I remember seeing a greyed out "Copy DVD" or something of the sort when burning CD's.

Jason
                      Jason

Comment

• Gordon Moore
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Feb 2002

What about discs with multiple soundtracks ie: a DTS and DD? Does it allow you to pick which one you want or both?
                        No picking in Lite....frankly I haven't a clue whether or not it picks the 2-channel track, 5.1 or DTS. If I had to guess right now, I'd say the DD5.1 one.

I can only check this on the PC. So I'll have an answer for you 2-nite.

Shrink lets you pick and choose soundtracks, menus, commentary, extras, closed-captioning...etc...

Comment

• Gordon Moore
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Feb 2002

The answer to that question is that XCopy Lite picks the DD tracks. Sorry, I couldn't confirm DTS. You do get the DD5.1 english...that I could confirm

Comment

• aud19
                            Twin Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2003

Well I'm not too concerned about software as I already have Nero and as has been pointed out I can always download DVDShrink or something like it.

I'm still flip-flopping between the LG and the LiteOn though.... The LG is faster and does DVD-RAM for the same money but I already own LiteOn gear and have been very happy with it and it seems to be the more recommended drive

Any further comments would be appreciated...

Jason
                            Jason

Comment

• Gordon Moore
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Feb 2002

I believe DVD-RAM gives you more editing options...

It can be re-written 100 times more than DVDRW and has higher storage capacity 9.6GB...but not every home player supports it and quite frankly, I highly doubt you'll wind up burning much, if ever to DVD-RAM. I wouldn't let that be a deal breaker.

I'd probably look more at price, performance, support, and reliability. If It supports DVD+/-R, DVD +/- RW that's all you'll really need.

Head over to club cd freaks...http://club.cdfreaks.com as this question could probably be best answered there...those guys are crazy...but they got the goods. It's where you'll find all the cool flash and drive tools...things like error reporting etc...

for good media prices check out: http://www.blankmedia.ca/

Comment

• Bing Fung
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • Aug 2000

Hey Jason, while I can't weight the virtures of DVD-Ram for you, I have been having great success with my 8X Lite-On DVDRW-851S.

My Denon 2200 was pretty darn picky about backed up DVD's. Previously I had a few backed up on to 4X (Radius, basically no name from NCIX) DVD-R. They played fine in most cheapo DVD players (Sony, Panasonic, Pioneer that I had), but suddenly when inserted in to the Denon, most of them would not play.

I have since flashed the firmware to GS0H and started using 4X Promedia (basically noname Tigerdirect) DVD+Rs. All seem to play in the Denon now.

I use DVD Xcopy express as I like it's simplicity. I own a version of Platinum, however my buddy with the same drive as mine stated he was burning a lot of coasters with it, as such, I stuck with Xcopy Express.
                                Bing

Comment

• aud19
                                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2003

Thanks Bing

That's strange you've had more success with the DVD+R, I thought DVD-R was usually more compatible with DVD players....?

Jason
                                  Jason

Comment

• aud19
                                    Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Aug 2003

I still don't know...and theres a sale 8O

Help me please! 8O

:B

Jason
                                    Jason

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Aug 2000

You know which one you want so just buy the liteon :W

Comment

• aud19
                                        Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Aug 2003

I did! I did! Don't beat me over the head with it! :bash:
                                        :B
                                        Jason
                                        Jason

Comment

Working...
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"