X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • borderdad
    • Nov 2005

CD writer

Hi, I hope this is the right forum for this question. I burned some mp3's onto CD's and noticed a lot of static and some skipping. Is the likely culprit my writer or maybe my software? I just ordered a new soundcard but I don't imagine that's related to this problem. I'm running an HP desktop. It's a couple years old and has a Pentium 4? HD and a CYBERDRV CW078D CD writer. Should I upgrade the writer? Would this help. Thanks for any input.
    Hola from El Paso!
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Probably the media and/or the mp3's... what media are you using?
    Jason

Comment

• Kevin P
      • Aug 2000

Try burning at a slower speed. I don't get good burns on my LiteOn 52X burners unless I run it at 16 or 24X. Also it could be the media (discs) you're using, what are they?

Comment

• Vinny
        • Mar 2006

Try to listen to those wave file which you converted from mp3 before you burn them. Figure out it's the conversion problem or burning process.

If it's the burning try the following:
        Try to burn it in lower speed, but only if you have crappy media. You can pretty much burn the CDs at full speed(eg 48X) as long as you have a moderate media(my TDK disks are like $5 for 50.... cheap enough to put them below the hot plate for insulation :twisted: and they are not low grade on CDR media either).
        Make sure it's not your CDp that need some cleaning as well.
        Pioneer KRP-500M
        Emotiva UMC-1
        Parasound 5125
        Oppo BDP-83
        Klipsch RF-3II, RC-3II, RB-5II
        SVS PB-10NSD

Comment

• borderdad
          • Nov 2005

I'm using Memorex discs right now. I've used Sony and TDK before. I'm using the Nero program to put the cd's together and slowed it down to 8x but it's still doing it. How do I clean the CDp? Thanks.
          Hola from El Paso!

Comment

• Kevin P
            • Aug 2000

You can get cleaning discs that have a little brush on them, but I don't trust them, they could damage the drive, especially if it tries to spin it up to 56X speed. 8O :nuke:

I've taken drives apart and cleaned the lens with canned air or a soft cloth, but I only recommend that if you're mechanically inclined or don't mind if you kill the drive in the process. If it's under warranty, send it out for repair/replacement.

Comment

• bigburner
              Super Senior Member
              • May 2005

Hi Hola,

If none of the above works it may be worth upgrading the firmware on your CD writer in case there's a known bug that's fixed by the upgrade. However, be warned. Upgrading firmware can be risky if you don't know what you're doing (e.g. installing the wrong software), so if you feel unsure then either get an expert to do it or learn to live with the static and skipping!

A quick search with Google came up with this site for CYBERDRV firmware downloads:

Does anyone disagree with this recommendation?

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"