X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • P-Dub
    Office Moderator
    • Aug 2000

External CDRW's

Anybody have any experience with external USB cdrw's? I'm looking at the HP 8230e, it's a 4x4x6 external CDRW's that connects via the USB.

I'd like to have it so we can backup the laptop, my PC, and I can take it to work and transfer files that way. I'm thinking of grabbing large files that would take forever to dl from a modem. Plus I could archive a lot of stuff off my PC onto CD.

I know an internal drive would be best, but we really need the portability. So far there's only this HP drive and the Iomega drive that are available. Are there others? thoughts?

Another option that I have seen, is that there is some kind of extrernal drive case that will house an internal drive and convert it to an exteran drive with a connection via a USB. This might be an option as there would be a greater selection of internal drives, but it would obviously cost a bit more.

Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.
    Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

As long as you're comfortable with the bandwidth limitations of the external USB (compared with SCSI, for instance, which I have a lot of experience with, Sony's and others), the USB should be very convenient. Don't plan on using other USB devices at the same time. I wouldn't recommend USB CDRW if you already have a USB keyboard and mouse, or USB audio.

Regards,

Jon

Earth First!
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• P-Dub
      Office Moderator
      • Aug 2000

Jon, thanks for the tip. I was planning on eventually buying some more USB devices for home, so this may put a stop to that.

Now at work I've only got a USB mouse so would this take up the bandwidth of the USB cdrw?

I've accepted the fact that to get this kind of portability I need to sacrifice speed. But if I can't burn and use my mouse, that would be another thing. But for it's main job at home, it would be the only USB device. And, I'd ensure that burning would be the only activity going on.
      So much for multitasking, but I'd assume that would ensure a pretty reliable burn rate.
      Paul

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"