X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

CDRW help

Guys I was happily buring CD's yesterday when it stopped working for me. I'm using EZ CD4 and had installed the latest patch and since that time the feature to get CD text from CDDB quit working properly. it would log onto CDDB but tell me no titles were available...when it worked before. So I figure no problem I'll just unistall EZCD and reinstall it minus the patch and see if that fix's the CDDB thing...well when the PC reboots it says I don't have a CDROM anymore? Its a win2K system and it detects the HP burner but says it can't load the driver for it. The HP site says that the burners all just use native win2k drivers so what do I do now? I've tried uninstalling it and let window detect it again but that doesn't help, I've tried deleting the cdrom.sys, redbook.sys and the storprop.dll and windows just replaces them...so I don't know whats the problem. I was using the CDRW as my main drive also so I don't have another CDROM to reinstall the EZ CD software I might try and borrow one and see if that fixes anything

• ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

This is tragically ironic. There's an article in the latest PC World ("Avoiding the Upgrade From Hell") describing this exact problem. There is a partial solution available as a download from Roxio.

theAudioWorx
    Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Bing Fung
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Aug 2000

Andrew, what your seeing sounds a lot like what i was seeing with EZ CD4 and Win 2K. It was so inconsistant, on some installs the CDRW would be recognized and the system would burn. Other times it would not be recognized and acted as if no CDRW was installed. And there was also an instance where the CDRW was recognized and still would not burn.

I never found a concrete solution to this problem so I resolved to stop using EZCD with Win2k. Now I just use Nero 5.0 and Clone CD. The interface is not quite as slick as EZCD, but it actually performs a bit better and burns consistantly every time.

I have not tried that patch Thomas mentions as it was more a problem identifed with EZCD5, though it may fix the problems with the earlier versions as well. I'm just gun shy to use EZCD again.

See if there are any firmware updates for your CDRW as well.

Best of luck

Bing
      Bing

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

I know there's a firmware upgrade for the drive up of course its utility isn't able to run under win2k. I tried installing an old IDE cdrom and it wasn't recognized either...well DOS finds it and it comes up as found new hardware but it can't install a driver for it or the burner

Comment

Working...
        😀
        😂
        🥰
        😘
        🤢
        😎
        😞
        😡
        👍
        👎
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"