I May Cancel My Xbox... edit (OK, I may keep the Box :) )

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bing Fung
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Aug 2000

I May Cancel My Xbox... edit (OK, I may keep the Box :) )

I contemplating this at this point, just because I'm getting cold feet.

The Box does not have any main draw games as Sili had noted, and I'm a bit put off at how the specifications have changed since pre-order date.

The specification change I can sort of live with, however, the lack of launch games has me thinking I should wait and see to insure the Box will have games I want to play. By the time games that I want to play are available, most likely the specifications will have yet changed again, or it will clearly show weither Xbox is a winner or loser (I hoping it is a winner). I just don't want to be holding an antiquated unit just because I was an early adopter.

I also have heard a rumor that PS2 will drop their price around Xbox's launch to gain more share. As well my daughter has expressed and interest in the PS2 so we can play our old PS1 games and the games her friends are playing. This and the only 2 console games i want to play are PS2 games, GT3 and the soon to be out MGS2. Xbox does have games that are interesting, but I don't feel I absolutely have to spend time with them.

So there you have it, convince me, yah or nah?

Bing
    Bing
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

Well, backward compatibility with PS1 games means, you can do away with 1 system, or send it to a satellite TV in kids room or whatever. But with the Xbox, your gonna want both systems in the main gaming area, as you said, Xbox won't have all the games you want, at least initially.

Wait for the PS2 to drop and jump on it, IMO.

Lex
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Bing Fung
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Aug 2000

I gave my Mod-chipped PS1 to my eldest daughter, even though she took a ton of games, I still have a lot remaining.

Bing
      Bing

Comment

• SiliGoose
        • Aug 2000

I pre-ordered my Xbox today. I'm only excited about one game: Halo (luckily, I don't get motion sickness).

I'm buying Xbox despite a lack of AAA games. Why? Because I'm a video game dork. I have to have everything.

Christmas 2002 will be the year of the Xbox. PS2 will be the software leader this year while Nintendo will sell more consoles than Sony and Microsoft. PS2 will NOT drop in price in 2001.

If you don't see any "must-have" titles in the Xbox line-up (a statement with which I strongly agree) you should get a PS2. Sony will have the strongest software line-up in their history. Metal Gear Solid 2 is reason enough to purchase the system (even the demo is amazing).

Your Xbox purchase can wait until 2002...if you decide to jump in at all. Sony is not going away. They are certain to top 2001 with an even better 2002 (Final Fantasy X and XI, EverQuest PS2, etc.).

I say, go PS2 now get Xbox later. Of course, I'd still like to turn you to the Nintendo side of the force.

-Sili
        www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Bing Fung
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Aug 2000

Halo looks fantastic Sili, unfortunately it is predominately a 1st person shooter, however it does have the ability to jump into the assault vehicle to drive and shoot at the same time, a very cool addition. I would have to try that before I buy it to make sure I didn't hurl.

I had read that the Project Gotham, while pretty, is very dissapointing for the physics modeling. During a review, it was a test station that was not manned very often, just because the learning curve was too tough, and no one could keep the cars off the walls.

NHL 2002 would be a viable game... As would DOA 3, though I have never play it, I assume it is like Tekkin, with an expanded arena.

So you don't think there will be a price drop of the PS2's?

Nintendo would be a dark horse, just for my daughter. She would very much like Mario as she just loves it on her Gameboy advance. Doesn't the GBA connect to the game cube for some function or another? Me, I not a real fan of the Nintendo's games, didn't play Zelda, Rouge squadron...etc. I'm open to what I may like on the GCN.

hummm...

Game Dork, that's funny! You must have a great collection, I try to be a gamer, as it gives me reason to have cool electronics, however, I'm not a very good gamer at that. I tend to lose interest before the game is complete. When I think back to all the games I have ever completed in my life, I could count them one my one hand.

Lets see...

Strike Commander, F-16's for hire, first game that required a 486-33 mHz platform

Myst, 1st one only

Grantourismo 1, PS1

Metal Gear Solid, PS1

That's about it, pretty pathetic, though I have a ton of PC, PS1 games.

Bing
          Bing

Comment

• Matt Broeska
            • Nov 2000

get a gamecube!

okay so i got that out of the way... i've left the xbox camp in favour of the gamecube. halo was the only thing that was seriously drawing me towards xbox, but it's gonna come out for pc so forget that. $700 for xbox and halo (and a few other peripherals) or $70 for the pc game. it's a no brainer for me.

as far as gamecube goes... rogue leader, wave race, tony hawk 3 (at launch or shortly thereafter), soul caliber 2, and the resident evil series are all games i want to have. i'm not worried about nintendo marketing their system solely to kids 'cause those games alone are proof enough it's not just a kids system.
            Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.
            That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Comment

• Bing Fung
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Aug 2000

You raise a good question Matt, if every game that is made for Xbox is made for the PC, why have the box, when a person can just port it to his TV with S-video card. I guess there is the social aspect of a console game that just can't be captured with a PC monitor.

Anyone know what the connection of the GameBoy Advance to the game cube is for?

Bing
              Bing

Comment

• SiliGoose
                • Aug 2000

So you don't think there will be a price drop of the PS2's?
                Not this year. Sony's software line-up makes PS2 very competitive at $299.

if every game that is made for Xbox is made for the PC, why have the box, when a person can just port it to his TV with S-video card
                Not every Xbox game will be available on PC. I doubt PC to xbox ports (or vice versa) will be any different than with other consoles.
                Halo still has yet to be officially confirmed for PC. Bungie originally developed it for PC but after Microsoft bought Bungie they haven't commented much on any PC version. I think it'll come to PC at some point but that could be a year away.

Anyone know what the connection of the GameBoy Advance to the game cube is for?
                It depends upon the game. The only game coming out this year that will utilize the connection will be Sega's Sonic Adventure 2. The connector will allow you to raise digital creatures on your GBA that will help you succeed in the Gamecube game.

Beyond that Nintendo has been rather tight lipped about exactly what they have in store for the Gamecube/GBA link. You can be sure Pokemon will play heavily into their plans.

-Sili
                www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Trevor Schell
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

You have quite a dilema on your hands Bing!..

The PS2, like you said will take care of playing all of your old PS1 games. In fact having missed the PS1 era, most of our games we own are original PS1 games . You can find them at some great bargain pricing plus they have many titles that appeal to the kids. So far we have 12 PS2 titles. You know you would be welcome to borrow any of them if you wish.
                  Many titles have come out recently that appeal to myself the reason for buying 5 games a couple of weeks ago.

I think the X-Box would still be worth the investment based on the fact that it is basically a PC game machine that captures the social aspect of gaming that you do not have with the PC,,depending on where it is located BTW..

Lastely the Gamecube would be appreciated by your daughter. I have this pre-ordered mainly for the kids, but I know that there will be a Zelda game available down the road. Being a big fan of the Zelda Adventures I simply could not pass this up.
                  I heard that it is compatible with the Gameboy Advance however I am not sure in what way.

With the three choices you have and if you only wanted to go with one for now..I would pick up a PS2.. Exclusively for the titles available now and the titles about to come out..lots of good ones are coming down the pipeline.
                  Plus you can borrow from me.

Trevor
                  My HomeTheater S.E.
                  Sonically Enhanced
                  C5
                  Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• Bing Fung
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Aug 2000

That makes a very appealing solution Trev :B You are truely a great guy!

Humm, I don't know, wish I had your money to just buy them all, end of problem :B

Bing
                    Bing

Comment

• Trevor Schell
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

I was going to say that Bing..Buy them all. But figured I would give you a choice.

I will tell you something also..The investment in the machine is actually the bargain. Where it hurts the pocket book is when you start buying the game titles. They really add up quickly..However we do rent a lot too which also expands the usablility of the PS2 and makes it a real good investment. When not playing games,,pop in an Alpha DVD and have it play in the background showing some of the most incredible video ever filmed.

Trevor
                      My HomeTheater S.E.
                      Sonically Enhanced
                      C5
                      Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• SiliGoose
                        • Aug 2000

Pardon my ignorance, but what is an Alpha DVD?

-Sili
                        www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Bing Fung
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Aug 2000

Sili, Alpha DVD's are a collection of DVD's produced by company named Alpha. They are also a sponsor of this forum. They are specialized DVDs that feature stunning images set to musical backgrounds, or with technical narration depending on how you set them up. I highly would recommend the Oceania disk, as it features Windham Hill musical artist with stunning satelite images of the earth.

I picked up an Xbox magazine and must say, the images of DOA-3 look phenominal!! I may stand fast. Still, no talk of Metal Gear for Xbox

Bing
                          Bing

Comment

• P-Dub
                            Office Moderator
                            • Aug 2000

What kind of spec changes has the Xbox gone through?

Another way to look at the Xbox is the combo 2nd dvd player and game machine. But this will depend on how good the Xbox can play DVD's. Say wasn't it supposed to be a progressive player as well?
                            Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• Bing Fung
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Aug 2000

That was one of the issues Paul, It was suppose to be a progressive DVD and game machine. It is now crippled to 480I for DVD, but will play games at 480P/720P/1080i.

The Hard drive was to be 10GB, which is now a 8GB drive.

Some rumors are flying around that Konami is not going to develop Metal Gear Solid for XBox, which is the sole reason for my anticipation.

I may find satisfaction in DoA 3, but I long to be playing MGS2 and GT3 which is all Playstation right now.

I think I will go through with the Xbox...

Bing
                              Bing

Comment

• Bing Fung
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • Aug 2000

Uh-Oh! This doesn't look good....

This is apperently a display model at a Toy's Ain't Us.

Read About It Here

Here is MS's Response I dunno, sounds weak to me :?

Bing
                                Bing

Comment

• P-Dub
                                  Office Moderator
                                  • Aug 2000

Hmm, I think I could live without 480P for DVD playback. Not like I'm getting a HDTV anytime soon, but it would have been a great option to have. Don't see why it would have been so hard to implement, isn't the Xbox just a stripped down PC? So how do they do gaming on 480P, etc? It would seem to me that if you implement it on game play, it should be implemented for just playback.

A drop in HD size is no big deal, but then again, it may crop up when people start playing and saving games. I'm just coming from one game on a PS1 with one memory card.

I guess playable software is the key. I do hope some good games come out for it. I'm a big racing fan, so I hope to see GT, CART, F1 or Rally type games.

Doh! What would be funny is a blue screen of death popping up.
                                  Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• Bing Fung
                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                    • Aug 2000

Well the unit is a PC and it maybe over heating in that Display box.

It's been said that Xbox disabled it's Ravicent HDTV chip for DVD playback only, to prevent sales of the box as a video scaler. Xbox is selling at a loss of ~$120 us per box, where the real money is to be made is in the games. If peeps were to buy it only to playback DVD's, not as much money could be made.

It's the principle that burns me Paul, I mean all the specifications are pasted all over the web, even after preorder date. Then a week after it all changes.

Lack of game titles is another, however I think they have more titles than Game Cube at launch, and we all know PS2 had like 2 tiles at launch last year, much less find a PS2.... SO, regardless, I'm still on course for the Box, but that could all change at the drop of a hat :W !

Bing
                                    Bing

Comment

• Bing Fung
                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                      • Aug 2000

How's this Paul?

EA's F1 2001 for XBox

Notice the draw distance!

Sega GT 2002 for XBox

Shadow detail is incredible!

Notice the red NSX reflection in the Yellow Mits!

A person could shave in those reflections :B

Ralli Sport Challenge for XBox

Photo realistic!

Classic Quattro

Bing
                                      Bing

Comment

• SiliGoose
                                        • Aug 2000

Bing,

I wouldn't worry too much about the overheating issue. I run a Toys "ain't" Us store and our Xbox display (as well as the others in my area) are running fine.

I must say, though. The playable demo of Munch's Oddyssey is not even mildly impressive. Why they selected such a graphicly dull game for the consumer's first impression is beyond me. Project Gotham Racing, Halo, and DOA3 would have been better choices.

-Sili
                                        www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Bing Fung
                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                          • Aug 2000

Yeah, I'm sure it's due to the cooling in a kiosk.

You run a TRU? I want to just clarify for the record, when I say "Toys Aint Us" I don't mean any disrespect. It's actually a term of endearment, a colloquial that my friends and I have used since we were kids.

So, I see how you got you Box so early, must be nice!

Bing
                                          Bing

Comment

• Bing Fung
                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                            • Aug 2000

Well I dropped into an EB games at the mall to look at the Xbox. It wasn't working, due to some video problems I was told, bummer.

I did a touchy feely on the controllers, and they are big, no wait, they are HUGE! Luckly I have big hands. My 9yr old daughter said they felt good, but they looked hillarious in her small hands, almost comical

I was a bit put off at the cheap looking XBox jewel on the controller. It looks nothing like the green jewels seen all over the net. The one I seen was just a clear plastic bubble over a cardboard Xbox (Can you say oversized Pog), type of affair. For all the trouble MS went through to incorporate this into the controller, you think it would do something (like light up) other that sit there and looking cheap.

Judging by Sili's first impressions, it probally makes up for this in operation. I really want the smaller Japanese controllers, however I also want to start with 2 controllers right away. This will force me to have 2 Sega Game Gear sized controllers, which isn't favorable

Why are things not just perfect to start?

What would be perfect is a PS2 with Xbox specs

Bing
                                            Bing

Comment

Working...
                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                            Search Result for "|||"