X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jeff Hartford
    • Jul 2003

Rotel components and universal remotes

Perhaps the wrong forum but figured could tap into the Rotel think tank. How does an Amp such as my RMB-1095 get "controlled" by a universal remote (just bought the Harmony 659) if it does not have a remote control? Does that screw up the overall ability to control the system? Can something be done through the "12V trigger" (mysterious and I know nothing about it). I have a second amp that I biamp- same problem?

Jeff
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

You can't control a power amp with a remote since there's no IR sensor on them. What the amp triggers are for though is to allow the pre amp to turn the power amps off and on as needed which means you can indirectly control their state with a remote. To do that all you need to do is run a mono 1/8 cable from the amp trigger on the pre amp to the input on the power amp and then flip the trigger switch on the amp (assuming the 1095 has one like my 1075 does) Once that's done powering on and off the pre amp will send (or stop sending) current to the power amp via the trigger cable which will cause the amp to turn on or off.

Comment

• Jeff Hartford
      • Jul 2003

Andrew-

Unfortunately my 1095 is a few years old and the older ones do not have the 12V trigger. I could plug my biamp amp(NHT) into a switched outlet on the back of the Prepro to control it that way, but there is no way the 1095 could be hooked in. Is there some mechanism to control the amp by remote? Otherwise, how does my universal remote work?

Jeff

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Jeff you could plug the power amp into a powerbar that has a switched outlet. The parasound Scamp is one such device and I believe rotel makes one as well. Basically what they do is have a remote triggered device plugged into one outlet and power amps (etc) plugged into the other outlets. Then when ever the main device is powered up the other's will be turned on as well (after a short delay).

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"