X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • abe1877
    • Mar 2006

Universal Remote Control

Hello All,

I'm looking for a universal remote control and I would like the following capabilities/parameters:

1) Most importantly, I want to be able to program it myself
    2) It will be for one room and strictly for A/V
    3) RF
    4) Touchscreen
    5) One button control
    6) No real budget
    7) I would like to control my DVR through my scientific atlanta HDDVR
    8.) I want to be able to change device settings like delays on my rotel receiver or audio output settings on my DVD paler with the one button control macros as well.

Any recommendations would be appreciated. I was looking at the crestron mt-1000c/universal's mx-3000 but i do not think that is programmable outside an authorizded dealer.

Thanks
  • georgev
    • Jul 2004

Check out the Harmony 1000. I think it does all the above and most importantly it easy a cinch to program yourself. The Harmony website has a huge database of equipment codes, and it really is quite easy to program.
    I use one in my Cinema room, and an 885 in another room and am very happy with both.

Comment

• hifiguymi
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2007

The Crestron you can't program by yourself but the MX-3000 you can. If you purchase an MX-3000 you can get the editing software from Universal Remote's website. You just have to register to download it. URC has three options for the RF base as well. I would recommend the MRF-350 or, if you need more sophistication, get the MSC-400. All of their products work great and we have great success with them at my store.

I'm a Crestron dealer as well and you have to be a dealer to get the programming software. So if you want to do it yourself, that is not the product for you.

I don't sell Harmony so I don't have any input on their remotes.

Eric

Comment

• abe1877
        • Mar 2006

Thanks. How user friendly is the MX-3000? Is it very difficult to program? Does it have th ability to change specific settings on a component with a one button control?

Comment

• hifiguymi
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2007

Programming the MX-3000 isn't very difficult. If you want to do a bunch of customasation then it can be time consuming. That is up to you. The rest of it is pretty easy.

The remotes user interface is as easy as you want it to be. The editing software's user interface is pretty easy once you get used to it. It's not different that any software in that regard.

It can operate anything on any IR based component (except maybe B&O) if there is an IR code that exists for it.

Eric

Comment

• Lex
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Apr 2001

Does the MX-3000 have a touch screen? I read on B & H website it does not.
            Doug
            "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• hifiguymi
              Super Senior Member
              • Mar 2007

Yes it does. It's a really nice remote. The touch screen and the back light for the hard buttons turn on when it's moved so you don't have to touch it to "wake it up". You can program variables in it so you can automate anything. We've sold quite a few of them. Here is a link with a picture of it.

URC (Universal Remote Control) offers luxury home automation & commercial automation systems. Experience premium control & automation for your home or business.

Eric

Comment

• Hdale85
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2006

I believe Soundgravy has an MX3000 maybe he can chime in here?

Comment

• Snap
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Feb 2005

the MX 3000 is a nice remote. There are not a lot of remotes out there that the end user can not program. The universal being the better of those that the end user can do.

If I may.... the MX300 is cool it is a touch screen and all... but just an FYI..... the woman in the house would love a standard remote better. And also from personal experience touch screens are a little clumsy for day to day operation. IN MY PERSONAL Oppinon... I think a MX950 or 980 is a better choice. Just my take.

PS: I have a 10.5" touch screen remote, and a regular universal. I only break out the big dog when the fellas are around. (Kind of the my pee pee is bigger than your pee pee )
                  The Bitterness of poor quality last longer than the joy of low prices.

Comment

• hifiguymi
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Snap
                    the MX 3000 is a nice remote. There are not a lot of remotes out there that the end user can not program. The universal being the better of those that the end user can do.

If I may.... the MX300 is cool it is a touch screen and all... but just an FYI..... the woman in the house would love a standard remote better. And also from personal experience touch screens are a little clumsy for day to day operation. IN MY PERSONAL Oppinon... I think a MX950 or 980 is a better choice. Just my take.

PS: I have a 10.5" touch screen remote, and a regular universal. I only break out the big dog when the fellas are around. (Kind of the my pee pee is bigger than your pee pee )
                    I tend to agree. I have an MX-980 (the MX-950 is discontinued and the editing software will not work with Vista) and love it. It's easy to hold in one hand and it's easy for my whole family to use.

If someone wants a touchscreen, and there are plenty of people that do, the MX-3000 is tough to beat in my opinion. It has the right combo of hard buttons, light weight, and touchscreen size.

As for the size of your "pee pee", that is way more information than we needed. :lol:

Comment

• abe1877
                      • Mar 2006

To be honest, I never considered the importance of 1 hand control. It's an excellent point. Thanks for all the input!

Comment

• Snap
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by abe1877
                        To be honest, I never considered the importance of 1 hand control. It's an excellent point. Thanks for all the input!
                        It is very important to me!

Originally posted by hifiguymi
                        As for the size of your "pee pee", that is way more information than we needed. :lol:

You know it is true... that 10.5" touch screen is a waste for every day TV use! Now whole house audio, and IP cameras..... DIFFERENT story!

Comment

• Hdale85
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Jan 2006

Or even dedicated theaters

Comment

• abe1877
                            • Mar 2006

I went to Tweeter to see if I could buy one of the remote, but they would'nt sell it to me unless I paid for them to set it up. They charge 220 to set up the RF base! They want $250-$400 to setup the remote depending on which one you buy. The MX-3000 is in the higher side.

Comment

• Chris D
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Dec 2000

I own a MX-3000, and it's nice. However, I also own a MX-980, which both my wife and I prefer to the MX-3000, and it's a lot cheaper, too. Best remote I've ever owned. The MX-980 isn't touchscreen, though, if that's important to you. After owning both, I've found I prefer the hard buttons and customized LCD screen of the MX-980.
                              CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                              - Pleasantville

Comment

• Snap
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Chris D
                                I own a MX-3000, and it's nice. However, I also own a MX-980, which both my wife and I prefer to the MX-3000, and it's a lot cheaper, too. Best remote I've ever owned. The MX-980 isn't touchscreen, though, if that's important to you. After owning both, I've found I prefer the hard buttons and customized LCD screen of the MX-980.

Thanks Chris.....I left out the "hard button details" part!

To the poster that was talking about programming charges that is about right. 250 to 400 is correct. The going rate around her is around grand for the remote, base, and basic programming.

Comment

• abe1877
                                  • Mar 2006

Tweeter has the mx-3000 for $850 this month and the 980 for $480. I am leaning towards the 980 now, but I jest need to find someone who is willing to sell it without the requirement of them setting it up

Comment

• skuzzyb
                                    • Mar 2006

Are you wedded to a URC? I would highly recommend a philips Pronto, the TSU9400 is a great combination of touch screen and hard keys. Very easy to program and does just about everything, especially if you mate them with the wireless extender or the serial extender. You can find them on the web for between $400-$600 and are worth every penny.

Comment

• robdam1001
                                      • Apr 2008

Originally posted by abe1877
                                      Tweeter has the mx-3000 for $850 this month and the 980 for $480. I am leaning towards the 980 now, but I jest need to find someone who is willing to sell it without the requirement of them setting it up

I bought the 980 from Mike at Surfremote. I'm sure they carry the 3000 as well.

surfremotecontrol.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, surfremotecontrol.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Comment

Working...
                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                      Search Result for "|||"