X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stevebez
    • Oct 2003

Philips Pronto v 1050 ?

Not very happy with the 1050 remote ... considering the Pronto but before I lay out the big bucks is there any cheaper alternative that you guys have got to work well ?

Also any problems encountered with Pronto with 1066 etc ?
  • Azeke
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2003

Stevebez,

I was not happy with my 1050 remote either (I use it for backup), I utilize a Yamaha Rav 2000, which I retained from my old receiver.

I believe Andrew is a Pronto guru and can probably better address your question.

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

I've being in love with my pronto for several years now and don't ever see myself with anything else but that said they're not for everyone. Some people are just "button" people and never seem to get used to the LCD screens. Now I think a lot of that has to do with how well laid out the remote is and how well they utilize the hard buttons that are there but its a point that needs to be made early on in any remote discussion.

That out of the way the pronto is the king of customization. Given that you can design it any way you like you should end up with a remote that functions as you need it to and stops being a remote per sa and starts acting like another integrated device in your system. In other words when done properly it should act like the opperating system on your PC in that is what you interface with to control the PC's hardware...and when done right it should be very easy and seemless...and there's no BSOD's with the pronto

Recently there's a new version of the pronto out called the 3000 (and a new 7000 which is the colour version). While these appear to be a step in the right direction the software used to control them is a HUGH step backwards and is such a POS that I now refuse clients that ask me to program in it. Its simplytoo big a pain in the butt to waste my time on...and if you ask me I'll tell you what I really think of it :twisted:
      There's now a fair number of used or refurb TSU1000 and TSU2000's available for around $100 which is very cheap for the pronto's.

Comment

• Eiffel
        • Aug 2003

I agree with a lot of what Andrew said (who wouldn't? :LOL: ), but...

I have had a TSU-2000 for a long time (2+ years), and recently sold it because of two factors:

1. I found my Radioshack RS 15-2116 (or 2117) more convenient for day to day operations (This is a $30 remote which is VERY powerful if you add a 'JP1' cable to it... it lacks some of the customization features of the Prontos, as buttons have fixed labels and unleashing some of its power might requires some head scratching nights, but it will also do things a pronto won't such as send a different IR signal depending on how long you press a key)

2. I bought a PocketPC with some software to emulate a Pronto. This gives you a better color screen than any of the Prontos (and many other features) for a very hard to beat price (check out www.pdawin.com and www.webremote.com for what is available)

Eiffel

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

I agree with a lot of what Andrew said (who wouldn't?
          More then I care to admit

The PDA option is interesting but the disadvantage they offer is that their IR output strenght is usually weak compared to even a regular remote and laughable compared to the mighty pronto's. If you sit close enough though they're a great alternative

Comment

• Mark Paquette
            • Jan 2003

The new iPAQ's with the Nevo remote software have great range.

Comment

• nwallace
              • Oct 2003

Hi,

I just picked up the radio shack 2116. Is there anyway short of JP1 programming to get it to work with the 1066. I could do the JP1 thing if I needed to but my hope is to avoid the hassle. I still have about 20 cables to make without worrying that my wife can't trun on the TV.

Noah

Comment

• basementjack
                • Dec 2004

I got an iPAQ given to me as a gift that I returned becuase it didn't have wireless, but the box said it included remote software - I wish I would have kept it!

Is there a thread or summary somewhere of which pocket PC's make good vs bad remotes due to range issues?

Andrew - or anyone else - can anyone comment on software for developing custom remotes using Pocket PC's

A color Pocket PC is cheaper than a color pronto -and Andrew's statement about the new pronto's make me question if that's still the holy grail of remotes?

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"