X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gordon Moore
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Feb 2002

iPronto...very slick

So I was looking in what's new in remote and came across the iPronto. Very slick but it looks very expensive. This looks more like a home automation unit rather than a dedicated theater remote.

802.11b Wireless access.
    640x480
    Linux OS

Any one know the going rate?

My thought though is that if you were doing an HTPC then this would be relatively useless. Howver, if you are not technically minded than this would be a great integration tool.

Can't help but wonder if it could be done cheaper with an HTPC and a touchscreen? It would require a lot more paitence though.

If you have the bucks and you are not technically minded then the iPronto would be an interesting leap.

"A RONSTER!"
    Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

If (and that's a big if at this point) I get to fly down to NY this summer I'll be programming a couple of these so I'll report back then.

Bring wireless though does open up some interesting uses...for one you likely wouldn't need IR repeaters in the house to communitcate back to the HT which would be nice for Zone 2 uses. Also you could store more info about CD's and DVD's etc then could might normally be able to do on say the 6000 model. Still these won't be for those of us with budgets :LOL:

Comment

• SiliGoose
      • Aug 2000

iPronto is very cool. I think it retails for $1500.

I'm watching Apple very closely. It looks like they're fairly close to releasing a product which may or may not be called 'Pal'. Pal appears to be an 8" touchscreen which communicates wirelessly (Wi-fi?) with your desktop. Imagine running everything via PC (Internet, any programs, music, video, PVR, whatever) and controlling it with Pal. I guess the best way to see it is Pal is a small portable touchscreen monitor for your computer. Pal should be cheap too as it has no internal storage. It's just a small touchscreen with built-in wireless transmitter/receiver.

Apple has also made several hints at a desire to emulate (or all out buy) Tivo. They want to move the new Macs (due 3rd or 4th quarter if not sooner) into the living room and Pal appears to be the control mechanism for that move.

-Sili
      www.campmurphy.net

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"