X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gordon Moore
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Feb 2002

Good deals for CDN's if you're looking to get into wireless ***UPDATE***

DLink wireless 11b router with print server (parallel port only).

I've used it for about 1 week and I'm thoroughly impressed. No troubles at all. The network was up an running in about 2 minutes (after it was plugged in).

Their product literature doesn't mention it but there will be a firmware upgrade (shortly) that will boost the throughput to 44Mbps with DLink's proprietary technology (you would have to own the airplus enhanced card...see below).

almost 11g for 1/2 of 11g's price.

Price at FutureShop: $139 $69 after rebates till the end of September October 2

D-Link, the industry pioneer in wireless networking, introduces another performance breakthrough in wireless connectivity the D-Link AirPlus™ series of high-speed networking products capable of data transfer rates of up to 22Mbps.
    The new D-Link AirPlus DI-714P+ Wireless Router combines the latest advancements in 802.11b silicon chip design from Texas Instruments, utilizing their patented Digital Signal Processing™ technology, and D-Link’s own robust firewall security features. The DI-714P+ is ideal for those creating a wireless network, as well as for more advanced users looking for additional management settings.

A simple yet intelligent, web-based setup wizard makes the DI-714P+ easy for any user to quickly and securely connect computers to share a high-speed Internet connection, files, games, and other resources. To prevent unwanted Internet intruders from accessing your private network, the DI-714P+ also serves as a feature-rich firewall through the use of filters. Filters can be set based on MAC address, IP address and Domain Names. An intergrated 4-port switch allows direct connection of up to four wired computers while several wireless clients can also securely connect to the network using 64, 128, or 256-bit WEP encryption. In addition, it also features a bi-directional parallel printer port to share a printer and includes a print server application for Windows.*

The DI-714P+ also features a Stateful Packet Inspection (SPI) firewall which helps to protect against Denial of Service (DoS) attacks such as SYN Flood, Spoofing, and Ping of Death.

The D-Link AirPlus DI-714P+ is the ideal networking solution for small offices, home offices, schools, coffee shops and other small business.

* Printer Server software included is for Windows Operating Systems only. Postscript Level 1 and 2 printers can be connected to the DI-714P+ for Macintosh OS 9.x or X computers. The DI-714P+ does not support non-Postscript printers.
    You can save money by getting the DLink 614+ which is the same as the 714P+ minus the print server. On top of that, the 614+ is enhanced with 4X mode already (44Mbps). At compusmart for $99

Then you need the wireless card:

Staples has them for $54.95 at http://www.Staples.ca however the stores have them on the shelf for $99, they do price match the website. The Staples price may be for a limited time because I noticed that Rat Shack has them on sale for $59 till the end of September.

If you miss this http://www.compusmart.ca sells them for $69 reg.

I've seen these cards with a price all over the map, everthing from the low $54.95 to a high $120...it pays to shop around.

D-Link, the industry pioneer in wireless networking, continues to offer performance breakthroughs in wireless connectivity. The D-Link AirPlusTM series of high-speed devices with data transfer rates up to 22Mbps is just one example.
    The D-Link AirPlus DWL-650+ CardBus Adapter is an enhanced 802.11b CardBus featuring advanced silicon chip design from Texas Instruments that utilizes their patented Digital Signal ProcessingTM technology. The DWL-650+ is fully compatible with the IEEE 802.11b standard making it interoperable with all existing 802.11b compliant devices. When connected to standard 802.11b devices, transfer rates can be up to 20% faster. When connected to other D-Link AirPlus products, the performance is even greater—up to 22Mbps! The DWL-650+ also features 256-bit WEP encryption providing you a higher level of security for your data and communications.

The D-Link AirPlus DWL-650+ also includes a configuration utility to discover available wireless networks and create and save detailed connectivity profiles for those networks most often-accessed.

The DWL-650+ is a powerful 32-bit CardBus Adapter that installs quickly and easily into laptop PCs and when used with other D-Link AirPlus products automatically connects to the network. And all D-Link wireless adapters, can be used in ad-hoc mode to connect directly with other cards or in infrastructure mode to connect with a wireless access point for access to the Internet in your office or home network.

So there you have it folks....I'll have a review of the card and setup shortly.

"A RONSTER!"
    Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Good deal Gord:T

Comment

• Trevor Schell
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Nice find Gord!

I sure love wireless. It's the only way to go.
      I was disappointed with the range on my Lynksys set-up,
      however the signal booster has helped immensely and I couldn't be happier.

Trevor
      My HomeTheater S.E.
      Sonically Enhanced
      C5
      Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• Gordon Moore
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Feb 2002

Run, don't walk to FutureShop. The DLink 714P+ is back on sale for $69.99

$50 mail-in + $30 at the till makes this a steal. Why?

Because the 11g Di-624 is on for $99 for the same feature set except that it supports WPA (although I don't think that's working yet. WEP with MAC filtering is just as good) and 54 Mbp throughput. Well a firmware patch is coming for the 714P+ that will allow for 44Mbps transfers. A good deal indeed.

It already supports a 22Mbps 11b "enhanced" mode.

If you have an older printer like me then the print server feature is a definite plus.

Staples put the 650+ wireless card back to $99. I may have had something to do with that because everyone at staples were scratching their heads at the price difference ($54) but they matched it anyway. 8)

You can still get the card for $59 at Rat Shack and everyday at compusmart for $69.

$130-140 to get into wireless is a steal! IMHO. Once you've tried wireless you will wish everything was uncabled.

"A RONSTER!"
        Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

Comment

Working...
        😀
        😂
        🥰
        😘
        🤢
        😎
        😞
        😡
        👍
        👎
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"