• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SiliGoose
    • Aug 2000

There's an Xbox in my living room

Got one today...some random observations:

Packaging:

We've all seen the huge box by now. Today was the first time I held anything more than an empty Xbox package.
    HEAVY!
    This thing weighs as much as a low-end receiver.

I still don't know why the box has both English and French on it. Why French?

The Xbox itself is covered in a protective plastic you have to peel off...sort of like the stuff they use to protect screens on PDA's (and I think the GBA comes with one).

Lots of styrofoam.

What you get:

The standard A/V connector is gold plated. Nice touch. Unfortunately, I'm stuck using these composite cables for now. The HD pack hasn't arrived yet.

The controller cable is braided black and green wires. I had seen pre-production pictures of this cable but thought it was only for the prototype. Glad they did something more creative than plain black wires.

One other interesting thing about the controller cable: The "plug" portion of the cable can be disconnected from the rest of the cable. I couldn't figure what this was for so I consulted the manual. Aparently this is the "inline release" that breaks away when tugged on so the console doesn't smash on the floor.

The Xbox unit:

As stated in previous posts it feels very solid and sturdy. In case you're wondering nothing happens when you shake it. (?)

The Controller:

I have said many times how I liked the Xbox controller. It is large but fits my hands very nicely. I have, however, found one problem already: After 3 hours of playing the index and middle fingers of my left hand are a bit sore. These fingers naturally find their way underneath the controller, actually supporting it in your hand. I just found that the shape of the underside of the controller forces these fingers into an unnatural position that will take some time to get used to. I kept finding myself adjusting my grip in the middle of a firefight. It's fine playing for 15 minutes on a kiosk but extended play times are gonna suck.

The Manual:

Yea, right.
    Really though, I did skim through it. It's very brief...not at all like the PS2 manual.

Music:

Xbox has a virtual light show thingie!!! It's a pretty good one too. No console since 3DO has done this quite right (well, JagCD had a great one but who has a JagCD?). I couldn't find any options to change to a new visualization so I think there is only one option.

I did rip one song from CD. I don't think I'll be doing this very often as it took about 90 seconds to rip a single 3 minute song. It sounded fine.

Navigation (without a game in drive):

The green on black menu screens look nice. Even better is the animation and sound when you make a selection. It's all very "in your face" quick animation. Every so often there is a muffled sound of voices. It kind of reminds me of the probe droids in Empire Strikes Back. I'll pay more attention next time to see if it's really voices or just sounds.

The memory management screen is pretty basic. They measure the hard drive in "blocks". I had 50,000 blocks available. That's how many PS2 memory cards??

Settings:

The clock was defaulted to 11/15/2001. I was almost afraid the thing would explode or something if I typed in 11/08/01. Luckily all was well.

Audio options are simply: Mono, Stereo, & Dolby Surround. Nothing mentioned about DD.

Video options are: Letterbox, Widescree, & Normal.

The manual has no information about any of these settings.

Once cool feature is "auto off". When on, the Xbox will automatically shut down after 6 hours of inactivity.

Operation:

The fan is virtually silet from ~6 feet away. Put your hand hear the blow hole (rear of unit) and you'll feel some very warm air.

The Light on the front is nicely done...it looks more like a stereo component than a game system.

Halo:

Load times: slightly better than PS2...but the in-game loads are very fast.

The settings within Halo give absolutely no indication this game has any video output options. 480i is all you get. The menus aren't very deep so I'm pretty confident I didn't miss anything. The game manual also fails to even touch on this topic.

Even without a HD option this game looks amazing. It blows away anything I've seen on my TV. Textures are amazing, special effects are incredible...I thought I was playing on my PC.

The introduction to your character is great. Reminisant of Half Life in the way you become acquanted with your suit and controls. The game calibrates the thumbpad as part of the game. I don't want to spoil anything so I'll stop there.

Enemies are smart! You throw a grenade (the coolest weapons so far) and they know to get out of the way. They'll sneak up on you too. I had a small group pinned down and one of the little buggers figured out he could take a different corridor and flank me!!

You've got to be careful when driving the jeep. It flips pretty easily (like when you drive it off a 40' cliff). Luckily the "x" button automatically rights the jeep. The gunner (machine gun in back of the jeep) targets enemies on his own. If you run an alien down before he gets a shot off he'll say "save some for me!", or, "that one was mine!".

The missions are all pretty typical so far. They flow pretty well but often suffer from that "what am I supposed to do now" problem. Luckily you usually don't have to wonder that very long as a little exploration yeilds a quick answer.

So, is it the best game ever? Not yet. I don't see anything too groundbreaking either. I mean, it's all been done before -Halo brings a high-level of polish to every element of Half Life style gameplay. Graphics, sound, action, control, interactivity are all very well incorporated. That said, I'm only 6 or 7 missions into the game (3 hours) so a lot can still happen (I hope).

-Sili
    www.campmurphy.net
  • Bing Fung
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Aug 2000

Wow!! Great review Sili!!

I'm a bit worried about the controller as well., worst case, it can't be bulkier than my Gravis Xterminator for my PC, I think.

So if a game is set to wide screen, it actually becomes anamorphic?

Bing
    Bing

Comment

• SiliGoose
      • Aug 2000

I'll have to try the widescreen mode. Hold on...I'll be right back.

-Sili
      www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• SiliGoose
        • Aug 2000

Nope. I tried both the "letterbox" and "widescreen" settings but Halo still displayed at 640x480. However, in "widescreen" mode the Xbox menu screens changed to letterboxed.

-Sili
        www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Matt Broeska
          • Nov 2000

sili,

how'd you get one so soon? arrgh! the wait for these new systems is killing me. hopefully next sunday i'll be picking up my gamecube and posting a review monday. like you i'll have to wait for the component cables.

interesting that aside from mild discomfort, you like the controller. i'd heard so many bad things but only one first hand piece of info. how big is it? how does it compare to the dreamcast controller?

and are you getting the dvd remote? i'd like to hear how it's dvd playback is...
          Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.
          That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Comment

• P-Dub
            Office Moderator
            • Aug 2000

Hot damn, that's a great initial review. Do let us know how regular DVD playback is when you get the chance.
            Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• Bing Fung
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Aug 2000

Thanks for checking Sili.

How does the 2 player mode of Halo look and Play?

I may get Halo anyway, even if I get ill playing FPS's. It looks to be too good of a game to be missed. I'll just take major doses of Gravol before play :W

Bing
              Bing

Comment

• Lex
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Apr 2001

Damn, now you got me wanting one. Why'd ya go and do a fool thing like that for! lol. Nice review-

Sili works/plays in the toy industry, so if it's in the shop, it's in his house. That dog,

Lex
                Doug
                "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• SiliGoose
                  • Aug 2000

interesting that aside from mild discomfort, you like the controller. i'd heard so many bad things but only one first hand piece of info. how big is it? how does it compare to the dreamcast controller?
                  It's quite a bit larger than the Dreamcast pad. I hate the way the Dreamcast pad forces your wrists in an inward angle. You hold the Xbox pad more like a PS2 controller.

Still, the Gamecube controller is the cream of the crop. It's absolute perfection...you fingers just automatically land in the right place.

and are you getting the dvd remote? i'd like to hear how it's dvd playback is...
                  Me too. I'm going to wait on buying the DVD pack though. I want to see what other think before I get it. After trying the PS2's DVD capabilities I'm a bit skeptical (I think the PS2 is the worst DVD player I've ever viewed).

How does the 2 player mode of Halo look and Play?
                  I only have one controller right now...and you can't even enter 2 player mode without a second controller (it senses it). If you let Halo sit for a while it plays a multiplayer demo and it looks pretty good. It's very configurable too. Of course, the best way to play is with multiple Xboxes and televisions (networked together).

I now have the Xbox hooked up with component cables and the optical audio connection. Halo is now running in its best resolution option (480p) and in full Dolby Digital. DD is so cool for gaming!!

-Sili
                  www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Matt Broeska
                    • Nov 2000

Sili works/plays in the toy industry, so if it's in the shop, it's in his house.
                    since i've never seen sili, am i the only one picturing him as tom hanks in "big?" :B
                    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.
                    That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Comment

• SiliGoose
                      • Aug 2000

LOL!!

-Sili
                      www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Trevor Schell
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

Anybody Else get one!.

Ours is put away for Christmas.
                        -Halo
                        -Gotham Racing
                        -OddWorld
                        -DOA3

Extra Controller and a memory card.
                        Do you actually need a memory card with the internal Hard Drive?

Just need to pick up the Hi-Def pack for now..

Trevor
                        My HomeTheater S.E.
                        Sonically Enhanced
                        C5
                        Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• SiliGoose
                          • Aug 2000

The memory card is only for transporting data to a friend's Xbox.

-Sili
                          www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Jeremy Santos
                            • Aug 2000

Got one Fri. night with Halo,NFL Fever 2002, HD pack and an extra controller. I am now in gaming Nirvana!!!!! 5.1 in Halo just rocks. Worth the $800cdn!!!! Back to my XBOX now!!!!!!

Jeremy Santos

My Software
                            Santos Theater

Play It Loud, Play It Clean!!!!!
                            Jeremy Santos

My Software
                            Santos Theater

Play It Loud, Play It Clean!!!!!

Comment

• Bing Fung
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Aug 2000

Hey Jeremy... Nice to see you around!

I picked up the box, Halo, Project Gotham, DoA3, extra controller, HD pack and Madcatz Ultra AV pack.

I have been living on Halo for the last 3 days, and to think I just about passed this one up :E I like driving the Ghost, the Scorpion and the feel of the Wart hog when the tail gunner is firing. Those Elite bastards are sure tough though :M

Bing
                              Bing

Comment

• Chip
                                • Aug 2001

I bought an XBox yesterday with the HD av pack and extra controller. Picked up Halo, Madden 2002, Prodgect Gothem Racing and Dead Or Alive 3. Full blown Dolby Digital on Halo is most excellenttttttttt. There's been talk around the forums of an issue with optical out. No sound, sound drops...i'm experiencing NO sound initially. Calling 1-800-4MY-XBOX and speaking with a tech, this is a known issue without a fix yet (their work'in on it). For now, if this happens too anyone just unplug the TosLink cable and plug it back in. Sounds back. Shit i was rebooting my 307 at first! Lol.. Apparently this isn't an issue with analog sound. I had a little trouble with advancing in levels on Halo so i decided too shoot all my men in the head at close range...they hate me now, lol...

- Chip

Chip Engle

"Concrete ain't a spectator sport"

<a href="http://www.htguide.com/bilder/index.cfm?fuseaction=arkivbilder&userid=0&selected userid=336" target="_blank">My HT
                                Chip Engle

My HT

Comment

• Bing Fung
                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                  • Aug 2000

I played a bit of Halo, Co-op Campain in split screen with my daughter last night. That was really fun and almost movie like.

We played the "I could have been your daddy level" There was a time when we entered the snow field scene and she didn't know what to do, so I told her to follow close behind me as I took out the fixed gunner. I told her to sit in the gun, shoot anything that comes her way and "I'll be back". I ran down, got the rocket launcher and took out the one big air ship. I then found the sniper rifle, took out the fixed gunner up on the plateau to the left and some of the other covenent forces. I then jumped into the wart hog and went back to pick up my daughter. I told her to jump in the back and run the gun. We blasted our way though the field until we cleared the level. I actually felt I was acting out an action movie, one where I'm saving my daughter from the bad guys!

This Co-op mode would be too cool with 2 people who know what they are doing

Bing
                                  Bing

Comment

• clash1
                                    • Nov 2000

What camera settings is everyone using on Madden?

I have a widescreen Mits 46807. I'm using the HD pack with the XBox.

I have my XBOX set for widescreen. Madden has a camera view called "widescreen". Should I use this? It seems to put you too far away from the action. "Classic" cam is a little too close (you can't see your wide outs at the line).

Comment

Working...
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"