X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stevkar
    • Jan 2003

RSX-1055 v. NAD 762: DVD-A/SACD & HD-TV

I am happy owner of Rotel CD player, new to home theater. I was all set to get RSX-1055 AV-Receiver when I saw some listings (Home Theater magazine's and the Sound and Vision magazine's Buyer's Guide for 2003) that confused me...

1. Does the RSX-1055 truly and fully support DVD-A and SACD...? I think this means being/allowing 6-channel, with inputs that allow for analog bypass all internal processors, will pass an unaltered hi-rez signal from SACD/DVD-A. My actual speaker set-up is "5.1" (L/R/C front, L/R surround, Sub), but will want to be able to fully exploit sonic benefits of DVD-A & SACD in future. Some potential for confusion/overlap/distinction in use of the word "channel" for decoding algorithms and receiver amplifier outputs, versus use of the word "channel" for surround speaker configuration... help (smile)!

2. Does the RSX-1055 model truly & fully support HD-TV... I think that this means not just having component video switching, but also bandwidth of >37mHZ...?

fyi: My interest is in quality sound, including HDCD decoding, and simple to use; not a lot of fancy effects. The alternative would seem to be the similarly priced and featured NAD T-762; see:

http://nadelectronics.com/Receiver/T762.html

Thanks in advacne.
    -Steve

-Steve
    -Steve
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

The Rotels can pass full HDTV providing you get a current model since they changed the video chips to increase the video bandwidth to 200 mhz.

Regarding SACD and DVD-A that's a more difficult question to answer since it depends on the speakers you have and how they are configured. There's a thread a little further down that outlines some of the issues you could face.

Comment

• stevkar
      • Jan 2003

I'm sorry, but I could not find the thread regarding DVD-A/SACD "6 channel" audio issues and Rotel RSX-1055... could you direct me there?

-Steve
      -Steve

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

try this thread

Comment

• Lex
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Apr 2001

Steve, welcome to HTGuide and Club Rotel!

:-y

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
          Doug
          "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• stevkar
            • Jan 2003

fyi... answer from Rotel was:

"The RSX 1055 does fully support DVD-Audio and SACD formats withs its Multi-Input. This input is a 6 channel pure analog input that bypasses any digital processing inside the unit, allowing these high-resolution formats to pass to the outputs in their original state. The only filtering in the inputs is an additional low-pass filter which passes information below 100Hz to the subwoofer output. This filter does not alter the original signal however, it simply sends a copy of the bass information to the sub in addition to the other speakers in the system.

All current shipping RSX 1055 units do have upgraded component video sections that allow them to pass an input bandwidth of up to 200MHz, thus making them fully HDTV compatible. We have been making wide band version of the RSX 1055 for at least 3 month. There is no reason to believe that there are any dealer with 3 month old stock on these units.

-Steve
            -Steve

Comment

• btrvalik
              • Jan 2003

I was planning to buy the NAD T762... good sound quality, all the features I needed but when I adjusted the volume I heard a high pitch (but faint) buzz, hiss, or something at a normal volume & 15 ft from the speakers.....booooo. I'm going to buy a Rotel today,

Comment

• stevkar
                • Jan 2003

Actually I too bought the Rotel RSX-1055 last week... still hooking up so nothing to report.

-Steve
                -Steve

Comment

• wng
                  • Dec 2002

Congrats on the Rotel, Steve. I'm in NY too. We're getting a heck of a snowstorm, eh? More time indoors with Rotel in the meantime.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"