X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • P-Dub
    Office Moderator
    • Aug 2000

What's a good drive copying software?

I'm looking to make an exact backup/image of my notebook drive. What is the best piece of software that would allow me to do this? I've heard of Ghost and Drive Image, are these basically the same program?

Any experience as to which is better? Or maybe a piece of backup software is better?

Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.
    Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.
  • Jon
    • Mar 2002

Hey Paul,

Well I do the same thing quite frequently with desktop machines.. I found a little program called G4U (Ghost for UNIX) It basically a net BSD boot disk that has a bunch of Network Card Drivers on it and it will upload or download a complete harddrive image to an FTP server. So all you need is an FTP server at hand with an account name of "install" on it, then the disk can work so long as it properly ditects your network hardware.

The program can be found here -> http://rfhs8012.fh-regensburg.de/~feyrer/g4u/

and its free! Also includeds full instructions, but once you get the disk made there's really not much to know...

It may or may not work for you, but if it does, great! Then your cloning for free.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

I've used Drive image and it works great. I think there's a free demo version of Ghost you can use as well but not sure if there's any limitations on the trial version.

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"