X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sonnie Parker
    • Jan 2002

Need a Windows XP Tip....

Hey guys, I know some of have gotta be running XP and come across this before....at least I hope so.

In various programs, such as Roxio EZCD Creator and Paint Shop Pro, and any program for that matter, I can not get XP to remember my settings. For example, when I select to view the icons in "Details", it will give me the list of files with the details. If I change what details I want, (column headings), by right clicking the heading and checking or unchecking what headings I want, XP doesn't remember this next time I open that folder. Or at least I'm assuming it's XP since it happens with any program.

In EZCD Platinum, I want my headings to include "Date Created" and "Date Modified", along with some other headings, and I want them a particular order. I can set these and they are lost when I change to another folder.

In PSP 7.04, I want "Date Modified" as one of my headings so I can sort by most recent date modified. Every time I use the Open Dialog box, I have to go through all the clicking to change my headings.

Very aggrevating, to say the least.

I do have "Remember Folder Settings" checked in Folder Options.

Any help is appreciated....

TIA

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

BFD Comprehensive Setup Guide
  • Bing Fung
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Aug 2000

Hey sonnie, that is wierd, especially if you have "Remember All Folders Setting" checked. maybe reset your folders and then try it again.

I just looked at my structure and it's view is remembered in File explorer and Paint shop Pro. I don't use Roxio however Nero will remember the last path that I left off at.

Try re-setting your folders.

Bing
    Bing

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
      • Jan 2002

Hey Bing,

I re-set my folders. Really thought that might be it.

In Windows Explorer it will remember my settings....of course it always has and that's not really a dialog box.

Paint Shop Pro won't though....not even after re-setting my folders and re-starting the computer. Nor will EZCD.

I stumbled above a little....... actually MS Word does remember it's settings. Really it just seems like those 2 programs I'm having the most problems with. Maybe it's not XP but something in the programs themselves. Hmmmm!

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

Comment

• Bing Fung
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Aug 2000

Ok, what exactly are we talking about here? I thought we were just dealing with FIle view properties in File Explorer.

Run through Paint Shop Pro for me.

If I select file, open it will always go to the last folder I opened in, unless I cancel out. Same goes for Browse...

What action are you wanting it to remember and what dialog box are we talking about here? If you are operating in Paintshop Pro's dialog boxes, it won't give you the option to view files in the structure of Windows File Explorer. The "Open" files dialog box assumes you are opening an img file that has typical .gif/.psp/.jpg/.bmp...etc, extensions. No details are lsited in PSP's dialog box. If you select "File" then "browse" The all the image files in the directory are displayed as thumbnails. So the way I see it is PSP can only display 1 variant in the "File - Open" and 1 variant in the "File - Browse" menus.

Bing
        Bing

Comment

• Lex
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Apr 2001

Here's my tip. Get Windows 2000.

Funny how mine was the shortest, yet most helpful post huh? lol.

Lex
          Doug
          "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
            • Jan 2002

I wish it were that easy Lex but now this seems to be program specific and not an issue with XP necessarily. It's happening in 98 also but not as aggrevating as in XP.

It happens with PSP7, EasyHTML, EZCD Creator, but not with MS Office programs.

Okay Bing, this is what the Open dialog box looks like when first opened: (This is a "List" view.)

Then I change it as follows: (To a "Details" view)

But then when I re-open it again it reverts back to the "List" view.

These are from Win98. In XP (at home) I can right click on any of the headings (such as "Date Modified") and check other headings to have them included and use them to sort by, etc.

Same in XP with the addition that the new headings I chose disappear as well as the view selection.

Bottom line is the Open dialog boxes always revert back to "List" view regardless of how I change them.

When working with multiple images and mp3 files, it gets aggravating to have to make those 2-3 additional clicks to easily find the files I want to open.

For instance: A month or so ago I scanned about 30 pictures. Since then I've scanned many more. Now I want to go back and work with those 30 images. I fix them up the way I want them and save them. Now I open up Easy HTML and want to insert them into web pages. It's easier for me if I have them sorted by "Date Modified". In XP I don't have a "Date Modified" in Easy HTML unless I select that heading. Every time I re-open to insert another image I have to re-select the heading "Date Modified" and resort to get the newer ones on top.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

Comment

• Lex
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Apr 2001

hmm,perplexing! I have no idea what to do.

Lex
              Doug
              "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                • Jan 2002

Well I just had a fellow in a newsgroup tell me that it is a default view and can't be changed. That really sucks if it's the case.

I did e-mail Jasc Software for PSP anyway.....

Seems like if it's a default then there ought to be a way to change it in the registry.

Further it would seem if XP offers the ability to change what headings you want, it would stick for the next time you opened up that folder.

It sticks if I change a folder in Windows Explorer but when I open the folder via PSP, it shows the List view.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

Comment

• Bing Fung
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Aug 2000

ahh, I seee said the blind man!

You are right Sonnie, I can't get it to maintain in the PSP dialog box.

Bing
                  Bing

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                    • Jan 2002

You can actually change the headings to preset headings.

When you open the "Open" dialog box, right click a folder in the main window...click on properties and the customize tab. There you can choose what preset you wish and it will load what it thinks are the most appropriate headers.

I chose "Pictures" for my "images" folder:

If I click on "Details" I get this preset:

:idea: What I need to do is figure out how to create a preset that will look like the below image when the "Open" dialog box is opened. Then I'd need to get that preset loaded in the "Use this folder type as a template:" menu. Hmmmmm! Is this a programming issue????

I don't like any of the music templates either...... I'm really gonna have to go to school now I bet. :x

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"