X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jeff Kowerchuk
    • Sep 2000

Wireless Nightmare!

I am hoping someone out there can save me...or more specifically, a friend of mine. He has a Compaq laptop (I know!), and is desperately trying to set up wireless networking. He started with a Netgear router/PCMCIA card. I figured this would be great since I have a Netgear setup and it works flawlessly. Unfortunately it did not work. Everything appeared fine, and Windows (he's running XP SP2) saw the card, but it could not find any networks. We updated firmware and drivers across the board with no luck. I advised him to return the card, as it may have been faulty.

Well, he took it all back and now he has the following Linksys equipment:

BEFW11S4 v4 Wireless B Router
    WPC11 Wireless B Notebook adapter

Device Manager lists his PCMCIA Controller as

02Micro OZ6912 CardBus Controller

Currently I have the router configured to broadcast SSID, with absolutely no security enabled, and the notebook still can't find the signal, though it sees the card fine. Again, drivers have been updated.

Does anybody have any ideas? My friend is about to throw the thing against the wall. He figured this wireless networking thing would be easy!!

Thanks in advance...

Jeff.
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

I'm connected via a Linksys Wireless G Broadband Router. Basically everything was automatic when I plugged it in. I'm not using the wireless function.

I recommend starting from scatch. Remove all the Netgear drivers and files. And remove all the Linksys stuff too. Actually remove all the network connections.

Then if the laptop has a RJ45 port. I'd start with a hardwired connection and run the network setup wizard.

Next see if you can access the Router via the http//192.168.1.1/ address (or whatever address they show in the documentation). Once you can access the router, then work on the wireless adapter.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Hmm i didn't know he had SP2 installed as well..that could have something to do with it...maybe turn off the firewall for now until we get him going.

Comment

• Jeff Kowerchuk
        • Sep 2000

Hi Guys!

Thanks for dropping in.

Thomas:

He did remove all the Netgear stuff. I tried uninstalling the card completely through Device Manager and reinstalling it. He is able to log into the router via the RJ45, and everything appears to be running fine.

Andrew:

Actually, the Netgear was installed before he installed SP2. But I did tell him to disable the firewall just in case.

What baffles me is that everything seems to be hooked up and running fine, the laptop just can't see the damn wireless connection. Arghhhh....

Jeff.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

You might try installing something like netstumbler or another app that's built to find wi-fi ports.

Comment

• Jeff Kowerchuk
            • Sep 2000

OK, I'm trying Netstumbler right now. Netstumbler is finding something - it's on Channel 6. An S/N graph pops up, and there seems to be a lot of noise (in the -50 dB range). Should I be trying all the other channels?

Jeff.

Comment

• Gordon Moore
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Feb 2002

Jeff, is WEP or WPA turned on by default (or otherwise) on the card? If encryption is turned on and the keys don't match or they haven't been entered, you're not going to connect.

Try relocating the Access Point (it may be a bum location) just to rule out basement interference.

Do the SSIDS match between the card and the notebook?

Worse comes to worse do a rollback rather than an uninstall to make sure the drivers are removed.

You should be a green light.

The router should show that the notebook is out there if the SSID's match up. It's up to the router to grant access though.

You could always have Andrew, myself or both look at it one night. Sometimes an extra pair of eyes helps things out.
              Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

Comment

• Jeff Kowerchuk
                • Sep 2000

Hey Gord;

Thanks for the input. In response:

The router is located literally right beside the notebook on his desk. Should he still try repositioning? This is in an apartment - perhaps on the other side of the wall his neighbour has something running? Would moving it around be worthwhile?

SSIDs are the same.

All encryption is turned off for the moment.

The router does show the MAC address of the card, so there is some communication between them.

Alas, my friend is in Hamilton (I've been doing this all through Remote Assistance), so unless we all want to fly there...

Jeff.

Comment

• Jeff Kowerchuk
                  • Sep 2000

Well guys, I went through all the channels and got the same results.

With each one, Netstumbler finds the signal, but it is very noisy, and is constantly dropping out (going from 1 AP to 0 AP and back again).

My friend told me it has worked a couple of times, but as soon as Windows finds the connection it is lost again.

Sounds to me like there is some sort of interference. He says his apartment is quite close (within 500-1000 metres) to very large power lines. Could this be an issue?

Should he try different antennas?

Jeff.

Comment

• Daryl Furkalo
                    • Feb 2002

Is your friend using a 2.4 ghz wireless phone or people in the apartment perhaps?

Comment

• Jeff Kowerchuk
                      • Sep 2000

Hey Daryl!

Are you in Manitou now? I thought you were in Morden before? My mom's family comes from Manitou!

Re: the phone. My friend's phone is a 900Mhz. It is possible of course that someone else has a 2.4 Ghz.

Jeff.

Comment

• Daryl Furkalo
                        • Feb 2002

Hey Jeff,

Yeah, bought a house two years ago. Still work at the same place in Morden though. That is pretty cool!

Comment

• PiDD
                          • Aug 2003

I have that model of router as well. It can get real funny sometimes. Have you upgraded the firmware on the router?

You can find it here.

It solved a bunch of issues for me... including random disconnects.

Good luck

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"