X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

Here we go again, listen up, I need opinions

I got my new Tyan board today, and went to work installing it. I got it to post, but here's what happens after it posts.

I get the Windows 2000 black screen with the white "load bar" at the bottom of the screen. Everything looks good, and it makes it to the Windows 2000 Professional screen where it says "starting" and another smaller load bar. Problem is, at this point it locks up and will go no further. Touching the power key shuts it down immediately, saying there is a system problem of some kind. Memory would seem to be the most logical item, but I have seated, reseated, changed slots, changed dimms until i am exausted as to what to do next.

You say, well, maybe it's a Windows 2000 problem? Nope, it does the very same thing if I try to load up a Windows 98 boot disc. My immediate thought is the Dimms are not being completely recognized, though it does count them off on the initial load. I have been through something similar before with it though, that after the ram was installed properly. Go figure. I am a bit flumoxed on this one guys. Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks,
    Lex
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer
  • Bing Fung
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Aug 2000

Humm, if you are locking up wher I think you are, I would say it's hanging during a driver or device load.

Unplug any unnecessary devices like card readers, sound card, network cards, all except the graphics card, keyboard & mouse. See if it will start from there.

As well at this point of the game, I would try to re-install W2K incase it was a bad install

Computers, don't you love'em?

Bing
    Bing

Comment

• Lex
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Apr 2001

Well, add to the mystery, it actually booted once after I got "tough" with the memory, jiggling it around and pushing like crazy. However, after I got to the desktop, and a few software things loaded up, the screen went black and it was locked up. After that, any successive boots, it was right back like it was, locking up and freezing on the Windows Pro startup screen.

The only thing installed is the video card. I suppose I could try my 8 meg video card, and bypass the ge-force 3 at first, but not sure that will do any good since I have graphics now.

I still think it's memory, but not sure I have any more registered memory sitting around. I guess I could try it on 1 unregistered dimm and see what it does.

The only other thing, I had to leave 1 spacer off, and I chose the back of the board, making it a little flexy under the memory modules, but I would think it's ok, this bites. geesh.

I don't think re-installing W2K is the solution. Remember, the Mobo went up in smoke, the hard drives didn't. My system should reset back to where it was, Further, it did lock up in cmos a time or two, pointing to a "time lapsed" lockup under bad memory conditions MAYBE. At any rate, it has locked up in CMOS, in Win98 boot disc, and at the startup screen, and windows the one time I got in.

Lex
      Doug

Comment

• Lex
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Apr 2001

well, I tried a 256 unregistered DIMM stick, and oh, he didn't like that at all in most slots, he did let me lock up with it in number 4 slot.

So, I ejected the 256 Unreg'd DIMM, and got rough again with a 512 stick of registered. I mean I really pounded it with a sledge hammer. To make sure it was firmly seated. (JK), Gotcha

dang thing booted, and after I get back up to make sure it didn't prove me a lier, is running at the desktop stable on 1 stick of 512 registered. I won't push it beyond that tonight, as I am sick of computers today anyway, lol. (Bad programming day) Tomorrow, I will go back and try the 1024 again, I guess. It's to late to finish reinstalling all my PCI cards and such anyways.

I figured it was memory, why? Because once on my other Tyan, I came home and booted my system, and it wouldn't boot. It actually gave me a message that it couldn't find an OS on the C drive. I said, what the F@$%$#@%? After exausting possibilities, I started messing around with the Dimms,by accident really. Sure enough, one of them had broken contact, and sent my system into a total tailspin. Registered at Post time, but not usable! Seriously. I mean, I almost formatted it that night I got sent down such a wrong trail, and as it was, was already removing a drive to make the secondary the primary, what a mess!

Lex
        Doug

Comment

• Lex
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Apr 2001

Yes, it's still running and all my data appears to be intact on both drives! :B Now, granted, it's going to take some doing to get both these 512 sticks active.

Isn't it a real shame that with all the technology that goes into these computers, they can't do better than DIMMs that are hit or miss on install? I mean really, it's a bit rediculous that one has to seat and unseat these things sometimes 15-20 times to get them seated properly.

Lex
          Doug

Comment

• Trevor Schell
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Is that Lex and Doug having a conversation.

Glad you were able to get it going.

Maybe that's what I need to do with mine.
            Or buy a new Dell.:twisted:

Trevor
            My HomeTheater S.E.
            Sonically Enhanced
            C5
            Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• Bing Fung
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Aug 2000

Good to hear Lex!

I thought you were installing a new system from scratch.

That meory sure can be a bugger, I struggled for a good week with my install of XP before I found it was one bad stick of memory...GRRR! :evil:

Bing
              Bing

Comment

• Bing Fung
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Aug 2000

:evil:

Ok, there is something strange going on with the new EZee CFB code. I just selected the evil emoticon and the above sampleas are what I get?

Bing
                Bing

Comment

• Bing Fung
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Aug 2000

:twisted:

This one worked? The opps is bugged as well.

OK, sorry Lex, didn't mean to shanghi your thread. Back to you regular scheduled disscussion

Bing
                  Bing

Comment

• Jariten
                    • Jun 2000

:LOL:

sounds like it's fixored!

Running Dual Athlon XP1800+ on Tyan S2460 24/7 ...
                    Seti burning dem CPU's away ^_^v

no problem so far

Lex...use a bigger hammer next time!

=)

Comment

• Lex
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Apr 2001

8O

Crap, after letting it idle a good while last night, I rebooted it, it flashed some sort of message so quick I couldn't even read it, and it hasn't booted since. I am really ticked off, what the heck now.

By it hasn't booted, I mean it is right back like it was, stalling and locking on the windows 2K boot screen.

Lex
                      Doug

Comment

• Bing Fung
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Aug 2000

That is a drag Lex, I don't have an answer just yet, once I get to work, I'll have a look around an d see if a solution is available.

Bing
                        Bing

Comment

• Kevin P
                          • Aug 2000

Only things I can think of are (a) a buggered up DIMM socket, or (b) the memory isn't compatible with the mobo, or (c) some bios setting for memory timing isn't set right.

But in any case, these kinds of problems are usually memory related. Another thing to try, reseating your CPU. Maybe it's not firmly seated? Any other socketed chips or connections you can try reseating? Any external cache memory?

KJP

Official Computer Geek and Techno-Wiz Guru of HTGuide - Visit Tower of Power
                          My HT Site

Comment

• Jariten
                            • Jun 2000

:roll:

Okay....
                            Clear CMOS and then try again.
                            Memory or Vid card are raising havoc

Did you install that second bar of RAM you had?
                            Are the heatsinks well mounted on the CPU's?
                            Hummm

will catch you on ICQ hopefully...
                            T.

Comment

• Bing Fung
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Aug 2000

Are you getting any beep codes that maybe indicating an error? Use the manual to decipher the code.

What are the chances that maybe the video card is causing problems since the meltdown? Do you have another Vcard you could try?

Insure you have the latest bios V.103

Is there some memory setting in the bios that you can set that will do do an ECC checking? Maybe set that to ON to see if it reports memory errors. I have read that this may take longer to boot in "ECC scrub" mode. However it may be one way to rule out if memory is causing problems during boot.

Insure the jumpers are set correctly for your configuration, i have read the manual does not always represent the corrct orientation of the board.

A CMOS reset is always a good idea!

Bing
                              Bing

Comment

• Bing Fung
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • Aug 2000

Lex, it's funny you should mention the unsupported spacer thing and flexy board under the memory. I just read a thread that talks about that and how it may cause problems. Have a read and see if it applies...

Go Here

Bing
                                Bing

Comment

• Bing Fung
                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                  • Aug 2000

Lex go to 2 CPU .com and do a search for the Tyan. There looks to be a lot of knowledgable folks there with simular problems and ideas.

GO here

Bing
                                  Bing

Comment

• Lex
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Apr 2001

Kevin, everything you mentioned seems to be ok. Thanks for the ideas.

Jariten, cleared CMOS several times, flashed bios with latest version.

Bing, no abnormal beeps, it posts, and then freezes on the windows opening. It's like there is a problem between CMOS and turning over to OS.

I tried enabling ECC last night, as my memory is ECC memory (registered). According to Tyan rep, I shouldn't have to do anything in this regard.

Read some of this Bing, but not much time so far. thanks for the links.

Advanced Design is sending me another new mobo, and a 512 stick of ram. I am anxious to see how this goes. It better be good!

Lex
                                    Doug

Comment

• Jariten
                                      • Jun 2000

Did they try the combination?
                                      They might be sending out nuked stuff to you....

I am still looking at a memory problem in your case

T.

Comment

• Lex
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Apr 2001

Thanksk to Bing's posting very good links for Tyan discussion, I was able to learn about something important for my board.

All it took was pushing the memory down HARD in the cener to get the PC running right. First I did one chip this way, and it booted the first time, I rebooted 3 successive times, successfully each time. I then got my fingers under the mobo and inserted the second dimm the same way, very firm in the middle, and whala, PC is booting and running normally!!! I can't believe it.

This should be in the BASIC TYAN RULES. So much grief for such a rediculous problem!

Tyan, really should fix this problem. When the tabs are locked and the memory registers at post time, that should be good enough. To make it all the way to windows and then freeze because of this center seating problem? Unbelievable! So, again, it wasn't enough the tabs are locked down. After they are locked, it requires very firm pressure in the center.

But I can now put my PC back together. Nevermind he's got a new Mobo and 1024 meg of ram coming to me, lol. I may keep that ram, as it's Samsung, and maybe more compatible with my Tyan. But I may go ahead and install this board and be done with that part. That is unless I have to take it apart to get the ram seated properly, ack!

Lex
                                        Doug

Comment

• Bing Fung
                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                          • Aug 2000

Good stuff Lex, glad we were able to solve that

Now back to your regular hyper speed!

Bing
                                          Bing

Comment

Working...
                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                          Search Result for "|||"