X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bing Fung
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Aug 2000

Installed new Asus A7N8X-Deluxe

Trevor Schell gave me a brand new Asus A7N8X Deluxe mother board, and I had been a bit tardy in getting it up and running as I was collecting parts for this system. It was a bit of a surprize to me to receive this as I really didn't need a new system, Still it was very much appreciated Trevor... Thank You!

Anyway I was going to build an entirely new system just for gaming and mucking around. Something that was not mission critical and could have the OS turfed at a moments notice if need be... Alas, the timing was all wrong. I was having some stability problems with my current primary system. It was doing the odd random lock up and some times windows file explorer would open in small, barely noitced window. There were some other minor wonky stuff happening, nothing critical but annoying none the less. I'm not sure what created this state, suffice to say "That's just how Windows is".

I seen a new Bios was available for my current system (Asus A7V333-RAID) that supports newer processors. Seeing as I had a Athlon XP+ 2800 Barton sitting around in it's package yet to be opened, I decided to flash to the newer BIOS and see if the A7V333-R could run the Barton. I wasn't looking for an OS-reinstall, the A7N8X-Deluxe would have required this, and flashing the BIOS of the A7V333-R seemed like a logical thing to do. I wanted to see if it would support the processor and maybe fix some of the wierdness going on with my system.

Well, things just got ugly from there... After flashing the BIOS from AV33316.awd to AV33317.awd, the systemn would not post. After a few attempts at starting the system, it seemed it would get further along in the process of loading before it died or returned a BSOD "IRQ not Equal to or Less". Eventually after trying to start the PC a few times windows would load and run. This only takes about 4-9 restart times before it will start. Sometimes it would start right away with out any conflicts, but most times it took up to 9 times before windows would load. Once loaded, it seemd pretty stable so I was at a total loss knowing that I would require an OS re-install. I even tried flashing back to the old BIOS, but that didn't solve anything and actually hosed it more.

Which brings me here... Seeing as I had to re-install the OS I decided to just swap out the mother board and use the A7N8X Deluxe Trevor gave me, so far so good. It is light on the available IDE channels as it only has 2 Parrallel IDE channels. I had 4x drives plus a CDRW & DVD in my old system. The A7N8X-DLX has 2 Serial ATA channels that can be set up for RAID 0+1, however I don't own SATA drives at the moment so I'm down some capacity for now.

Anyway the board and processor seems relatively fast and stable thus far. I even flashed the Bios on it as soon as I got the OS up. I used the Windows based Asus update proigram for flashing the BIOS. the new BIOS supports higher multipliers and is said to fix the large data transfer corruption in the SATA controller, so I may try som SATA drives or maybe some SATA adapters for the multitude of PATA drives I own..

Surprizingly after I ran 3D marks the system scored slower than my old system. I can't remember the exact number but it was somewhere around 13600. Which was 300 marks slower than my 2300XP. I'll have to get to the bottom of this as it is perplexing and puzzling.

I ran Super Pi and scored 50 seconds to crunch to 1M digits.

I'm am running in DUAL channel DDR mode with a faster processor so it should be by all accounts faster than my old system.

Anyway, I'll post more as I move along, I just wanted to ramble for a bit..

I guess my old Asus A7V333-RAID will be relegated to the mucking around, test mule PC.

Thanks again for the motherboard Trevor :T ;x( I love the built in 3COM & nVidia (using the nVidia one) LAN network card, and the fact that I'm now using the 9700 Radeon at 8X AGP (even though it's slower ops: ) I was even debating weither I should use the Onboard Nvidia Sound or my SBLive 5.1 Platinum. I hear the onboard sound is real nice.

It's Awesome so far!

PS. Trev, you had asked once if you could dissable the RAID seek fuction during posting... It is disabled by moving the jumper on the mother board. It is set to enabled by default and I set it to disabled for now. Now the SATA RAID does not go looking for the drives so now it boots faster.

Bing
    Bing
  • Bing Fung
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Aug 2000

Darn if I can't get anymore speed out of this bucket of bolts.... :M

Super Pi = 50 sec / 1M

Bing
    Bing

Comment

• Trevor Schell
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Hey Bing!!
      Your very Welcome on the MB. It was my pleasure.
      Just glad you were able to get it installed plus that new Barton Processor.

Your 3D Mark Score is pretty decent.
      My best was 13,232 3DMarks with my Barton 2500+

Time to get the new 3200+ , I guess.

Trevor
      My HomeTheater S.E.
      Sonically Enhanced
      C5
      Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• Bing Fung
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Aug 2000

Trev, you sir are the MAN! ;x(

This board seems very stable so far.. Man I like Asus boards!

I have tried overclocking and I can't seem to get too far. The combination of the Barton and the A7N8X yields an unlock multiplier, however due to the 4 bit encoding method used on the multiplier, the numbers are super imposed (ie 5.0 and 13.0), so the board does not know which speed to select, the higher or the lower. It's silly as I select 13x and the board will accept it, but only use 5x. Well we all know what 5x166 = 830MHz, which my system loads with :evil: It seems I would have to cut the bridges on the CPU to hard set the multipler, unless a BIOS fix could yeild 5 bits encoded multiplier speeds.

So at this point I have only overclocked the FSB to which I can only get to 169MHz before the board will not boot. Not sure why this is as that is hardely even considered an overclock. The real pain of the A7N8X in overclocking thus far is if it does not boot, you must reset the CMOS, not sure why this is required, but it really is a pain.

I'll get it sorted out eventually, for the BIOS has a multitude of adjustable options. For now my Barton is running at 2114 Mhz (2075 MHz stock) :?

Bing
        Bing

Comment

• Trevor Schell
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Well Bing!!
          If you want ,,I could come over and fix it for you.. :bluezoned:

:rofl:

Trevor
          My HomeTheater S.E.
          Sonically Enhanced
          C5
          Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• Bing Fung
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Aug 2000

Hey Trev, you could have a crack at it, sometimes it takes a different perspective to achive the ultimate goal

For some reason every time I load/start Outlook or Outlook express, it kills the audio to my TV Tuner card. So far it seems like it's just the mail programs. I have re-installed the Soundblaster Live drivers, the ASUS TV Tuner drivers, nothing seems to help. This wasn't a problem with my old set up so i don't know what give. Maybe the Mail program's audio alert is trying to grab the same resource? I'll try disabling that.

During this trouble shooting, I removed my Soundblaster LIve 5.1 Platinum card and tried the Nvidia Sound Storm on board Audio ChipBy all account's I think it actually sounds better than the SB Live 8O So much so that I'm leaving the SBLive out and may eventually try an Audigy 2 or something else.

Bing
            Bing

Comment

• Bing Fung
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Aug 2000

Super Pi 49 sec / 1M

Now thats more like it! :nos:

I uninstalled the (now known to be faulty) 2.42 Nforce Drivers, reinstalled the older 2.03 drivers and it seemed to have cleared it's throat..

A word of warning to anyone wanting to revert back to the 2.03 Nforce drivers, it is a bit of a rigamarole and may create an unbootable PC that requires launching Windows XP recovery console, copying a corrupt file over the command prompt and then a few reinstalls and re-boots.... How do I know? I'm speaking from experience. :crush: Read the instructions that come with the drivers.

It seems Nvidia has totally removed the 2.41 drivers that I dowloaded last weekend and have reverted to an older version. You know I noticed that once I installed the 2.42s, I noticed that the performance seemed a bit slower. It was like suddenly this new install that was fast and snappy was lethargic. The above bench is with out tweaks and ran just after the I got the system up and running with the older drivers. It's a bit uncharacteristic for Nvidia to release faulty drivers... I wonder if trying to regain leadership in the graphics card market is taking it's toll?

Bing
              Bing

Comment

• Trevor Schell
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Wow Bing!!!

;x( ;x( ;x( ;x(

What an incredible score. :bluezoned:

Congrats,,
                Can't wait to see your tweaked score, when that happens.

My tops of 13,232 was without tweaks except for a bit of over pumping on the G-Force Ti4600.

Any idea what drivers I would be using Bing?.
                I have not touched anything , since the time I watched while you did all the work installing my MB.

Trevor
                My HomeTheater S.E.
                Sonically Enhanced
                C5
                Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• Bing Fung
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Aug 2000

Thanks Trev :-y

I'm not quite sure if this will work, but try opening control panel, performance & maintainace, system, Harware Tab, device manager. Click on IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers. Once that has expanded, right clcik on NVIDIA NForce MCP2 IDE, select properties and then Drivers tab. Click Divers detail and see if the version is there. I can't check this for you to see if it will idicate the driver version for I have uninstalled my Nforce drivers and installed the older version that uses Microsofts driver.

If that doesn't owrk, try looking in your downloads directory and see if I made a folder called Asus or Nvidia. See what the lastest downloaded driver file is in there. You can bet that If I downloaded it, I would have installed it. I just can't remember what version it may have been. I can't remeber if i used the CD drivers that came with the mobo or if I used newer ones for Nvidia. I suspect I would have used newer ones as I know that that is the first thing I do when I set up a system.

Bing
                  Bing

Comment

• Trevor Schell
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Amazing how processor prices have dropped to dirt cheap!..
                    I can see that XP 3200+ soon.. 8O

Trevor
                    My HomeTheater S.E.
                    Sonically Enhanced
                    C5
                    Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• Bing Fung
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Aug 2000

Yes, they sure have come down.. That's the way of the PC world.

Bing
                      Bing

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"