• Show
Clear All
  • Gordon Moore
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Feb 2002

Latest XP Patch slows users down

Full story here:

Excerpt:
    The patch, which Microsoft calls the Q811493 hotfix, was distributed via Microsoft's security Web site and the automatic Windows Update service. It fixes a security flaw in the Windows kernel, the core of the Windows operating system. The vulnerability is rated "important" by Microsoft, one notch below the highest level on the vendor's severity rating scheme.

The flaw allows an attacker to raise his privilege level on a vulnerable system. However, to exploit the flaw an attacker needs to be able to log on to a system, either at the computer or via a terminal connection, mitigating the risk.

Users advising other users online suggest home users experiencing system slowdowns remove the patch as corporate environments with terminal servers and client systems accessed by multiple users are most at risk. Microsoft, however, urges all customers to apply the patch and call the Microsoft helpdesk if there are any performance issues afterward, Toulouse said.

Microsoft security bulletin MS03-013 can be found at: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-013.asp
    Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.
  • Danbry39
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Sep 2002

Thanks Gordon,

I did install the patch and have been wondering the last couple of days why my computer was so slow in accessing certain programs. Now, just to figure out how to delete it. I did a search on my hard drive and the code numbers are in three programs.

Keith
    Keith

Comment

• Chip
      • Aug 2001

I just went into the control panel and removed it.

Chip Engle

"Concrete ain't a spectator sport"

<a href="http://www.htguide.com/bilder/index.cfm?fuseaction=arkivbilder&userid=0&selected userid=336" target="_blank">My HT
      Chip Engle

My HT

Comment

• Danbry39
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Sep 2002

Thanks Chip,

That's the way I ended up having done it. The slow down was inconsistent, but annoying.

Keith
        Keith

Comment

• Bing Fung
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Aug 2000

They had a call in on Tech TV's Screen Savers taking about this issue. Leo figuered MS would have a fix for it soon... :roll:

Surprizingly I don't have this hotfix on my PC, and I'm a religious Windows updater....

I see why, I haven't installed it, how ever it is on my notebook and I have not really notice a problem yet...

Bing
          Bing

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"