X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Reluctant Upgrade - Opinions needed

So I received an iminent HD failure warning this morning :evil: I was planning on upgrading just about my entire system this spring with my tax refund but it looks like I'll have to do it sooner as I don't really want to sink money in to upgrading the current 5+ year old hardware. In other words, if I'm going to spend money on new components I may as well upgrade and get better faster stuff.

FYI I don't do a lot of game playing, mostly A/V editing, DVD backups etc so the video card doesn't need to scream for games.

So here's what I'm looking at:

Option 1: I use my current NVidia GeForce2 MX400 64 MB (AGP4X ?) and get an Asus A8V (socket 939) mobo that supports AGP instead of PCI-E. This will save me about $30 on the mobo and about $70 on the video card or a good $100 plus tax. But is less future proof (no PCI-E slots, no SATA II)

Option 2: I get an Asus A8N-E that supports SATA II (not just SATA) and PCI-E with an Asus Extreme 6200TC256TD video card for the above mentioned prices. Now granted the 6200 is nothing spectacular by modern video card standards but it's certainly better than my existing card, is still fanless (quiet), as is my current card and would allow me to get a more future-proof mobo. Besides I could always upgrade to a better card down the line with the PCI-E slot.

So in your opinion is it worth it to get the upgraded mobo/video card?

Otherwise the other gear I'm looking at is as follows:

-2 X 512MB PC3200 (400MHz) DDR SDRAM (Dual Channel)
    -AMD Athlon 64 3000+ / 1.8GHz, 2000MHz HT, 512K L2 Cache, 90nm, Heatsink
    - 1 - Samsung SpinPoint: 80GB, SATA II, 8MB, 7200rpm (For the OS)
    - 1 - Samsung SpinPoint: 160GB, SATA II, 8MB, 7200rpm (For Data)
    -LitOn 16X DVD-Rom
    -LiteOn 16X DVD-RW

Thanks for your input/opinions :T
    Jason
  • ht_addict
    • Dec 2002

Keep an eye on Ati Clearance Center for deals on refurbs that carry the full 3yr warranty.

Comment

• csuzor
      • Nov 2004

I upgrade a year ago, and got gamepc.com to supply a Tyan dual AMD opteron motherboard with cpu, with a dual-dvi compatible Matrox video card. I put it all into a large Antec cabinet, and now have 6 200GB disks there + dvd writer + removable sata disks, and twin 1600x1200 monitors. Probably does not do too well for games, but it is awesome for everything else, like A/V editing. Any single cpu machine will need to be upgraded well before a dual "server grade" cpu machine, and dual dvi video cards are a huge advantage for editing.

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

Thaks HT addict but I'm an NVidia guy and not big on refurbs.

Csuzor, I mostly due audio, just dabbling in a bit of video right now. Also use it for cad, viz and graphics programs. Besides, dual core AMD64's are out of my current price range, nevermind dual Opteron's! :lol: But thanks, believe me, if I could afford to go that route, I would

Otherwise, what I really need advise on is whether you guys think spending an extra $100 on a pretty much "throwaway" PCI-E video card and compatible mobo is worth the expense for a little more future proofing. I think I'm leaning that way myself, especially considering even the "crappy" 6200 should handily outperform my current card.... Really I just wish I had the money for a new 6800 (or better) ...
        Jason

Comment

• aud19
          Twin Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2003

Oh and just for some perspective, I've been doing this work on a Celeron 850MZ overclocked to 1066MZ, 1GB 133MZ RAM, ATA133 HD's and the above mentioned video card. So even that "lowly" 3000+ processor will be LEAPS and BOUNDS faster than my current 5+ year old rig. (Yes, it's VERY, VERY slowwwwwww.... :lol: )
          Jason

Comment

• aud19
            Twin Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2003

Aaaah~!!!!! Research can make a man go crazy :??

So with further research it looks like the 6200TC's (TC's in particular) are pretty crappy... The "regular" 128MB 6200 is less crappy with 128bit vs 64 bit bandwidth and no stupid "Turbo Cache" :roll: but is also $110 vs $65 for the TC version.

What I apparently really want/need is a card based off of the NVidia Quadro FX architecture. Suited for cad/pro applications. Supposed to be good for video editing as well though I'd like to find more info on how they perform for video playback and game play as well. (Not a huge priority but I also don't want games/video to look like shite either when I do play them).

They seem to be pretty much only available from PNY. And even the cheap 64MB FX330 is ~$225CA and the one I'd like to get the 128MB FX540 is upwards of ~$300CA (Well really I'd like to get a 3400 or 4400 but they're $$$$$$$$ :twisted: )

So do I get a shite 6200TC for cheap and hopefully upgrade to a FX540 down the line when I can afford it? Or should I spend and extra $40 more than the already extra $100 I didn't want to spend to get the better 6200...? AAAAAAH!! :??
            Jason

Comment

• Kevin P
              • Aug 2000

How often do you upgrade your systems? If you do it every couple years, I'd go fairly cheap now, and then go full guns next time around (by then the PCI-E stuff will be even cheaper and better than it is now). But if you plan on keeping the new system for a while, I'd spend a little extra $ and go with the PCI-E setup, even if it's with a cheap card initially.

You said you don't need a super fast video card, then in a later post you said you want a pro-grade card. Which why are you leaning? If you're not a gamer, you don't need a super fast/expensive card.

Check out my Phantom Stalker II thread for some ideas. Although I went with ATI Radeon and AGP, you'll find my box has similar specs to what you're planning. Athlon 64 ROCKS! :-y And I recommend the Samsung hard drives. Every one I've used has been rock solid and DEAD quiet.

Are you looking to build a quiet box? Get a case that takes 120MM fans, and use a larger than normal HSF on the CPU, that you can run at a lower RPM.

Comment

• aud19
                Twin Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Kevin P
                How often do you upgrade your systems? If you do it every couple years, I'd go fairly cheap now, and then go full guns next time around (by then the PCI-E stuff will be even cheaper and better than it is now). But if you plan on keeping the new system for a while, I'd spend a little extra $ and go with the PCI-E setup, even if it's with a cheap card initially.

You said you don't need a super fast video card, then in a later post you said you want a pro-grade card. Which why are you leaning? If you're not a gamer, you don't need a super fast/expensive card.
                Thanks Kev

Well I don't need a high-end gamer card like the GeForce 6600/6800/7800 cards but I do use CAD and 3d rendering programs which would bennefit from the pro line of Quadro FX cards. Different capabilities and functions there. But I think you're right, I'll get the cheapest PCI-E card (maybe even the $55 128MB 6200TC) for now and upgrade to a better pro (not gamer) card later (likely the FX540). Maybe I can swing one for Christmas or my next birthday By then maybe it will be down closer to $200.

I've already got a server case I'll be using but I'll want to upgrade the power supply later for more power/quieter operation.
                Jason

Comment

• aud19
                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2003

Well I was doing some more research and came upon this excellent and very informative article.

Looking for the best GPU in 2024? Then you have come to the right place. We have tons of experience in PC gaming to know what to expect from the cards and

I highly recommend that as a good read for anyone looking at current video cards, especially for pro applications :T

Now I'm leaning towards a $135 128MB 6600TD card with "silencer". The GT's tiny bit of a compromise over the FX540 for some specific pro applications and the TD's a slight compromise from that, but overall a more "well rounded" card and for nearly 1/3 the price of the FX. It should keep me from upgrading for a good while I really didn't want to spend this much money but it's only $60 more than the 6200 so, pretty good :T

I'll ask for one of these for XMAS

ATX Q Technology 400W PSU (QT-03400G) Gold Series
                  Last edited by aud19; 16 October 2005, 18:44 Sunday.
                  Jason

Comment

• aud19
                    Twin Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2003

Well I decided to order the above power supply so as to not risk powering all my fancy new gear with a 5 year old PS. It however is back ordered so while waiting for it ( I should get it in about a week, maybe two) I've been watching prices of the gear I wanted fall :B The AMD64 3000+ in particular fell about $50 and the 256MB version of the 6600 video card fell to within about $15 of the 128MB version :banana:

Also ordered and picked up this lovely OCZ memory :B

400 MHz CL 2-3-3-6
                    2x512MB Dual Channel Kit Unbuffered
                    Copper Heatspreader
                    Lifetime Warranty
                    2.6 Volts
                    184 Pin DIMM
                    Jason

Comment

• cjd
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Dec 2004

Hope that memory works with your motherboard. Sometimes things work, sometimes not.

I've been running on an A64-3200 and loving it. nVidia 6600GT. Mushkin memory.

FWIW, the Quadro is the same core chip as their gamer lines, and it IS possible to cross-bios on some models if you're so inclined. Mostly, the Quadro stuff has TONS of effort put into optimizing the bios/drivers for specific applications.

And I don't remember who does the Lite On drives, but I would recommend looking elsewhere. I run Toshiba/Samsung. Probly the same stuff now, but Lite On has an off-and-on record. My dad just had one die, his whole system refused to boot with it plugged in.

C
                      diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• aud19
                        Twin Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2003

LiteOn is the OEM manufacturer for countless brands, one of the larger being Sony. I've put MANY of their drives in countless systems and not had one problem so far. In general, buying another company's optical drives just costs you more money for their brand name
                        Jason

Comment

• cjd
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Dec 2004

Originally posted by aud19
                          LiteOn is the OEM manufacturer for countless brands, one of the larger being Sony. I've put MANY of their drives in countless systems and not had one problem so far. In general, buying another company's optical drives just costs you more money for their brand name
                          I used to plunk Lite-On stuff in my systems all over. That changed when it came to DVD+/-RW drives. Been doing this for, oh, 12 years now. So I don't make such recommendations lightly. Still have my 486 here, runs beautifully. :P Just pretty much useless (though it does just fine as a backup DNS server). I sold my 286 or I might still have that. I don't know what changed. And, the Samsung stuff is priced right.

C

Comment

• aud19
                            Twin Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2003

Well the LiteOn 1693 DVD+/-RW I'm getting is supposed to be quite nice so I'm not worried I've been at this for quite a while as well Also FWIW, I had a Toshiba drive I put in my Parents PC a few years back which was crap. Constantly has problems reading discs with even a small smudge/fingerprint/scratch etc. Throw that same disc in any of our LiteOn drives and it reads fine
                            Jason

Comment

• cjd
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Dec 2004

Originally posted by aud19
                              Well the LiteOn 1693 DVD+/-RW I'm getting is supposed to be quite nice so I'm not worried I've been at this for quite a while as well Also FWIW, I had a Toshiba drive I put in my Parents PC a few years back which was crap. Constantly has problems reading discs with even a small smudge/fingerprint/scratch etc. Throw that same disc in any of our LiteOn drives and it reads fine
                              Yup. I pick and chose by item, without being specific to a brand. Otherwise I would not have any hard drives I could buy, since they have ALL sucked royally at one point or another in the past. :P I've not been in the market of late so it's possible Lite-On has resolved the issues.

C

Comment

• PewterTA
                                • Nov 2004

Lite-On drives have really stepped it up over the last year or so with their drives (especially with DVD writing). You'll want to go here: Lite-On Forum at cdfreaks.com and download a hacked firmware version for your 1693. This will allow you to burn disc faster (so like 8x DVD+R at 12/16x with same quality as 8x ) and also allow for bit-setting and other things.

Only other drives I think are a little step ahead (because of the amount of support firmware wise) is the NECs, they are amazing for the $30 - $40 for the drives. I have the ND-3500 and ND3540 NEC drives working amazingly at all levels of CD/DVD burning and have yet to loose one disc. :B

If you are backing up your discs (DVD) I highly recommend the AOPEN DVD1648/AAP PRO, it is extremely quick and very accurate. Had nothing but the best success with it.

Not bad when you can get both drives (NEC and Aopen) for less than $50 :T
                                Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                                -Dan

Comment

• aud19
                                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2003

I'm still waiting for the back ordered power supply but it should be here this week. Otherwise I just ordered everything else! :banana:

-Asus-A8N-E mobo
                                  -AMD64 3200+ (The 3000+ was back ordered)
                                  -SAMSUNG 160GB 7200RPM SATA II
                                  -SAMSUNG 80GB 7200RPM SATA II
                                  -ASUS EN6600 GEFORCE PCX6600TD 256MB w/"silencer"
                                  -LITEON 16X DVD-ROM (16P9S)
                                  -LITEON DVDRW 16X16 (1693S)

Jason

Comment

• aud19
                                    Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Aug 2003

The PSU is awesome BTW!!!! Highly recommend :T

I'm writing this post from my new PC!! :banana: Working AWESOME !arty:
                                    Jason

Comment

• dyazdani
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Oct 2005

Glad to hear it is working - it's always a rush the first time you turn on a newly built PC and have it actually boot.

Unfortunately, mine didn't the first time but I won't make that mistake again.
                                      Danish

Comment

• aud19
                                        Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Aug 2003

Yeah there's that moment of "I hope I plugged everything in... and properly and that all the quipment works!" :unsure:

:lol:
                                        Jason

Comment

Working...
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"