What's the "go-to" universal remote solution these days?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kevin P
    • Aug 2000

What's the "go-to" universal remote solution these days?

I've been a bit out of touch with HT reality recently. Just wondering what the best choice for a programmable universal remote control is these days. Years ago it was the Philips Pronto systems, but I've gotten out of touch with the more recent offerings, if they still even make them, plus they tended to be expensive and unreliable.

More recently we've used Logitech Harmony systems, and in one install we used a RedEye system, but I discovered the company that made it went out of business.

I know there are some of the higher-end systems from URC and Crestron, but most of those only offer programming software to authorized dealers.

Is the Harmony the way to go? Is there something else that is better, can be programmed with readily available software, supports macros and discrete codes, and offers RF capability?

Thanks,
    KJP
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Logitech's stuff is still around, a nice customized solution imo is iRule which works with android or apple phones/tablets. There are of course the other high end systems still.

iRule can do IR, IP and RS232.

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

Kev, I really think the "go-to" answer is URC. They've got solutions at every level, and really do control right. Because they are "THE" control people in consumer electronics, I've shifted my own focus on control to them over the years, and they just keep getting stronger and stronger. I do programming of their stuff; let me know if I can help.

If you're really looking only at user-programmed stuff, I think you'll be disappointed at their power and reliability.

As for smart device controllers (i.e. iphone) they're great as secondary control devices, but after just the first few days of use, you'll quickly find that they do not make good primary devices.
      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
      - Pleasantville

Comment

• Kevin P
        • Aug 2000

I should get into the URC stuff, the only reason I haven't is because I'm not a dealer and AFAIK can't get access to their programming tools.

If we still did a lot of installs, I would look into becoming a dealer or whatever but when we're mainly supporting older customers (such as this one whose Pronto pooped the bed and they got a new TV), it's probably not worth the effort.

Chris, do you have access to programming software for the URC residential level solutions?

Comment

• Chris D
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Dec 2000

Kev, yeah, I've stayed up with URC over the years, because I've recognized the direction they're taking and the role they're increasingly playing in the market. I take their full training every year and am even licensed to sell their full line-up. I've got their programming software, which by itself needs quite a bit of training since their stuff has become so very high-powered and functional.
          CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Dmantis
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jun 2004

I've programmed just about everything under the sun. I've been in this business for over 15 years.
            The URC brand remotes are by far the very best dollar for dollar by as known you need a professional to program it. This isn't a bad thing.
            The Harmony remotes are ok at best. Not very good IMO. I have programmed a few of them for some of my customers who liked what they read about them online. Then a few months later purchased a URC brand remote from us and love it.
            Depending on your system, I can suggest a model that would work the best for you. All of the computer programmed models are excellent.

Comment

• Glen B
              Super Senior Member
              • Jul 2004

I am a diehard fan of the Philips Pronto NG remotes. I still use the TSU7500 and TSU3500. I recognize they are not everyone's cup of tea, but they work great for me. I like the fact that they are 100% customizable with the ProntoEditNG editor, so I see and use only the buttons/functions I need, in the layout I want. As my gear and setup changes, I can revise the configuration file, upload it to the remote, and save a backup. The one downside is the Pronto editor will not run on any Windows version later than XP. My solution is to run virtual XP in VMware Player in unity mode on one of my Windows 7 laptops.

Right now I'm running a configuration on the TSU7500 with animations based on a configuration called "Chloe" which I downloaded from Remote Central many years ago. Device buttons are on a disc that appears to float in space. Each time a new device is selected, the disc rotates 180 degrees to show that device screen. Following is a brief video of the Chloe configuration in action, running in the ProntoEdit emulator on my laptop.

TSU7500

TSU3500

Last edited by Glen B; 02 March 2014, 15:22 Sunday.

Comment

• driver7
                • Mar 2014

Originally posted by Chris D
                Kev, I really think the "go-to" answer is URC. They've got solutions at every level, and really do control right. Because they are "THE" control people in consumer electronics, I've shifted my own focus on control to them over the years, and they just keep getting stronger and stronger. I do programming of their stuff; let me know if I can help.

If you're really looking only at user-programmed stuff, I think you'll be disappointed at their power and reliability.

As for smart device controllers (i.e. iphone) they're great as secondary control devices, but after just the first few days of use, you'll quickly find that they do not make good primary devices.
                Does any of the URC line have quality mouse control? Like is on the Gyration gyr4101. I'm looking for a replacement to the Gyration controller as it's getting quite old and the problems with most of them are, there is no mouse control, the mouse control is inaccurate, or it's very slow movement.
                Last edited by driver7; 02 March 2014, 02:16 Sunday.

Comment

• aud19
                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2003

I'm gonna head a bit to left field but if you have any tablets, smart phones etc I can highly recommend the Touchsquid app:

If you don't have a device with built in IR, you'd need to also get their recommended wifi-IR adapter:

It's SUPER easy to set up, their tech support is great and respond fast and it works well. We've been using it for months now on our IR capable Samsung tablet.

I haven't had any time to tinker with it and customize it more but for basic turning things off/on, switching sources, adjusting volume etc it's worked great :T
                  Jason

Comment

• Chris D
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Dec 2000

Originally posted by driver7
                    Does any of the URC line have quality mouse control? Like is on the Gyration gyr4101. I'm looking for a replacement to the Gyration controller as it's getting quite old and the problems with most of them are, there is no mouse control, the mouse control is inaccurate, or it's very slow movement.
                    Hey, Driver, it looks like you're searching for something that's specifically a computer input device. AFAIK, there are no consumer electronics "universal remotes" that are also designed to supply mouse control inputs to a computer. URC doesn't have any.

They are releasing a base station that has a video overlay with a gyro motion controller remote, so that for example you could wave the remote to select a different source or choose a song, but that's not for computer control.
                    CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Chris D
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Dec 2000

I'm interested in hearing experience reports from people using smart devices (smartphones, tablets) also as remote controls. Are you using them as the ONLY control device?

What I hear consistently from users that try to use them as the sole control device is immediate frustration. You want to change the TV channel, but are in the middle of an "Angry Birds" game you don't want to lose, so you have to wait until the game is over to switch to the control app and change the channel.

Or you're watching an intense action movie, and the phone rings. You want to pause or mute the movie, but... dang it... who's playing with the iPad right now, and where are they?

Or a suddenly really loud/obnoxious/whatever commercial comes on. ARRGH, turn that thing down now! Okay, get the device, load up the control app, switch to the volume page... annoying.

Consistently, users find that having a control app is great for supplemental use, but they HAVE to have a primary dedicated remote.
                      CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• aud19
                        Twin Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2003

Other than our IPTV (I've always used the cable/IPTV set top box remote plus a universal), yup, it's our primary remote and no problems. And like I said, if I had more time to tweak Touch Squid I might even be able to minimize it's use (though I have always preferred using the actual STB remote as they tend to have a lot of specific/dedicated functions...especially PVR's)

The nice thing with the Touch Squid interface is that everything you could want is right there on the one "page". It takes less than a second to open the app and you can pause, reduce volume etc pretty much as fast as with a traditional hard button remote.

If you go the Wifi to IR route you could even have multiple devices with basically the exact same remote interface on all of them. Kids using your tablet, well then you use your phone
                        Jason

Comment

• Chris D
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Dec 2000

Cool, jason. :T
                          CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Hdale85
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Jan 2006

I still haven't gotten around to setting up my iRule remote system, I've played with it a bit but just haven't had a lot of extra time to try and work it all out. But evens so I mainly use a tablet or smartphone for control of my system completely. I have a Chromecast and HTPC which are pretty much my main sources. Complaining about being in the middle of angry birds sounds a bit silly to me lol.

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            😂
                            🥰
                            😘
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😞
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"