X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dmantis
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jun 2004

Mx950 from the Mx850 Universal Remotes.

Today I decided to pick one up. I have been programming them for a few weeks now and find a couple things I like better then my mx850 remote.I also conidered the Mx3000 but I didn't want to go back to a touchscreen( I have owned Philips Pronto TSU100,2000,3000).

First off it's rechargable. I like that. No more batteries to buy. Well the mx850 doesn't use up batteries often but if you don't keep tripple A in the house, you can't control your system untill you get new ones. Then again going to the basement and digging into all the factory remotes is another option.

Then theres the cool color back ground you can change to your liking Not huge but a nice little touch.You can change it per device.

Ok it makes sounds, you can program in personal sounds when you want them to go off. Maybe a bit corny but it's a good way to let someone know the remote is now ready for use(after a macro).

One thing I really like is the speed it downloads at. It's USB so it's much faster then Serial.Unlike the slow Pronto in USB which didn't seem to make any difference.

It also has a pick up sensor. This is useful. I like the fact when I pick it up , it turns on for me. I don't have to press the light button.

I'm not sure if I like this but it has seperate Main buttons. One for Listen and one for Watch. For my customers this seems to be huge. For me I'm still in the air If I like it for myself. On the Mx850 it just has a Main button which you access all your macros . I like that as well.

It also has a clock on it. Nice little touch over the Mx850.

Between the Mx850 and 950, thats about all the differences I noticed. There both RF control and I own a MRF300. With the MRF300 you can control your system or many systems all over the house. Rf is great as you can go outside and change tracks on your cd player for your outdoor speakers. Change sources or whatever you want to do.

Nothing wrong with the Mx850 at all. The very little things I felt could be Improved seem to be done on the mx950. Universal remote is a great company.

You you want a truely full function remote, this is the one for you. MX850 or mx950. They both offer such value at there price points.

Dmantis
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Cool, I'll check them out. I've got an MX-700 with my Parasound Halo equipment, and love it.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• Dmantis
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jun 2004

The mX700 was the one that started it all. The mx850 improved on that design by adding a center button on the 4 way nav control. On yours you have to click the whole thing to use enter or ok. Then the mx850 also improved the back lighting and changed it to a background light instead of a lighted source words in the screen.

The mx950 takes it to the next level. Check it out, it's worth the upgrade.

O I fogot the Mx700 isn't Rf the Mx850 and Mx950 are.

Comment

• Azeke
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2003

I certainly enjoy my MX-850, very easy to program :T . The MX-950 definitely looks like it's worth the extra $200.00 MSRP based on the improvements.

I also previously owned a touch screen, which I no longer prefer.

Just my quick thoughts,

Azeke

Comment

• Chris D
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Dec 2000

Yeah, the features of the 950 that I've read of do look interesting. I don't know if it's worth spending the entire cost of the MX-700 PLUS the extra just for the upgrades between the two. If I was doing a fresh purchase... maybe.
          CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• mitch57
            • Nov 2004

One disadvantage going from the 700/800 remote to the 850/950 is you have to give up those fantastic "Gem Stone" buttons! The 850/950 use the cheap standard laser etched buttons that you see on most of the cheaper remotes.

Just pick up a URC MX-500/700/800 and compare the feel of it to an MX-850 and you will see what I'm talking about. For those who don't know, the MX-800 is basically the same remote as the MX-700 but with RF capabilities. The layout is identical to the MX-700 but the case is silver in color and has a smooth finish compared to the matte finish of the MX-500/700 models.
            Mitch
            :stupidpc:

Comment

• Dmantis
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by mitch57
              One disadvantage going from the 700/800 remote to the 850/950 is you have to give up those fantastic "Gem Stone" buttons! The 850/950 use the cheap standard laser etched buttons that you see on most of the cheaper remotes.

Just pick up a URC MX-500/700/800 and compare the feel of it to an MX-850 and you will see what I'm talking about. For those who don't know, the MX-800 is basically the same remote as the MX-700 but with RF capabilities. The layout is identical to the MX-700 but the case is silver in color and has a smooth finish compared to the matte finish of the MX-500/700 models.
              I beleive this is a personal thing. I actually perfer the Mx850 over the mx800 due to the upgraded direction pad and added center button. Thats so much better then trying to click it on the mx800. So many times you try to push enter or ok and you go up or left. On the mx850 , this doesn't happen due to a actual button in the middle.

The mx800 was a great remote and I see why you perfer those buttons.

O the one thing I really like on the mx850 over the 800 is the back lighting. The mx800 lights up the words on the screen and the mx850 lights up the screen. Much better and easier to read.

mantis

Comment

• GregoriusM
                Super Senior Member
                • Oct 2000

One thing that really makes the 950 a great remote is the "variables" ability that the 3000 has.

If you take some time and learn how to use those variables, then you can really make the remote a "work of art".

Greg
                Gregor

Comment

• Chris D
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Dec 2000

Yup, I picked up a MX 850 and MX 950 in a local A/V store to judge the feel. Definitely a move down as far as the tactile "feel" of the gemstone buttons. I liike my 700 better. But I very much like the step UP with the independant center "select" button in the 4-way hat. This was one of my biggest concerns about the MX-700 from the first time I got it, and it's proved to be an occasional issue. The remotes didn't actually have batteries, so I didn't get to check out the screens or functionality.

Anyhoo, I'm sticking with my MX-700, if nothing else, than cost. For house uniformity, I even bought a 2nd Parasound MX-700 from another guy, to use in my bedroom.
                  CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Snap
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Feb 2005

:agree: I just sold my MX-700 for the MX-850. I did it for 2 reasons. I wanted to be able to take the remote out on the deck for better control of the 2nd zone. (All I have out there now is a volume control.) I also LOVE the center button on the 850 much better than the 700. And I like the back light better. I am not sure what the diff of the lights are with the 700 and the 850 but I can see the buttons better with the light on the 850. But both are awesome remotes for sure! It boils down to the cost per $$$ thing again. If you do not need RF, and the other features are not needed/worth the extra cost....stick with the 700. My thoughts on the matter.
                    The Bitterness of poor quality last longer than the joy of low prices.

Comment

• junior77blue
                      • Nov 2004

But is the 950 worth the increase over the 850?? ~$200

Comment

• H.Donald
                        • Aug 2004

That's my question....

Comment

• Snap
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Feb 2005

for me...no. If I was going to get anything higher than the 850 then I would go with the 3000 remote. The 950 has some additional stuff. Like the watch and listen buttons. That allows you to watch something different than you are listening to. (You can do that with the 850 it just takes a bunch of button pushing) The other things that come to mind, is rechargable batteries and base station for the 950, and a color screen. There is probably more, but that is all that I can think of off the top of my head.

So if all 3 of those things are worth 200 bucks then you have your answer.

Comment

• Snap
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Feb 2005

Oh I forgot something...I think that the 950 has a clock in it as well. I think it beeps or does something when the macro is finished.

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"