X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 as Universal Remote

I'll be getting the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 in about 1 month and I'm hoping to use it as a universal, touchscreen remote utilizing it's built in infrared.

It comes pre-installed with Peel ( https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...nBlZWwuYXBwIl0. ) which seems to be a fairly decent app particularly for TV watching but the limited information I've found online looks like it may be a touch limited in it's ability to be customized, perform macros etc. As I said, the information online is limited so it's hard to get a handle on well, or not, it will perform.

I also checked to see if say Logitech had a Harmony based Android app as an alternative and found this:

But it appears to be poorly supported and what little support it has, appears to be more geared to phones rather than tablets. I was disappointed in this as Logitech/Harmony is noted for it's customization/macro capablities...the thing I'm not sure Peel does so well.

Any input or other options would be appreciated, thanks guys
    Jason
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Looks like this might be an option (albeit pay)...

Doesn't look quite as "slick" as the Peel GUI but appears to be more powerful and customize-able for device control. I'd certainly be willing to sacrifice some slickness for better overall usability...

I may try Peel to see what it can/can't do and then look in to this more if I find Peel lacking.

FWIW Touchsquid also has a free demo version to download and try:

It also appears to be able to control my WDTV media streamer which Peel does not and would require switching to the secondary WDTV remote app to be able to control it as well.

Jason

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

Also just noticed Touchsquid is based right here in North Vancouver :lol:

Jason

Comment

• Hdale85
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

Well I've mentioned iRule several times. But I'm not sure if you can get that to work with the included IR. If your devices are all networked though you can use it all over the network functions. I really like the software I just haven't spent the time to really design a functioning remote yet lol. Also the Harmony solution requires Harmony Link, I think it's sort of an IR repeater.

Comment

• JeremyG
          • Sep 2008

I'd be happy with a WiFi remote app to my gen 1 AppleTV. I have an iPod Touch with an app installed to do it, but I hate having 3 touch screen devices out. I think you should get the tablet, and if one remote program doesn't work well, try them all, including one that uses a hidden IR blaster that connects via WiFi.

Comment

• Chris D
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Dec 2000

Wish I could tell you more about Android stuff. I sell and install URC products, including the iOS app to turn any iOS device into a remote control. Very popular.
            CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
            - Pleasantville

Comment

• aud19
              Twin Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2003

Yeah there seems to be a lot of IOS and/or IR repeater systems out there... I don't attend the church of Jobs though so I'm SOL on IOS :lol: And I'd prefer to utilize the existing IR capabilities just for a simpler setup and less cost on unnecessary equipment.

Touchsquid (TS) seems to be the only REAL solution utilizing the existing IR blaster that's really a fully functioning universal remote it seems. On a positive note, they appear to also support my WDTV streamer and I've got an email in to them on it's lighting control capabilities. I'm hoping that TS can utilize the existing wireless and control say wireless IP based lighting control as well and not be limited to just IR in that regard.

Speaking of, you guys have any information and advice on lighting control brands/product lines? At first glance, it's a bit daunting as there's any number of control types (RF, IR, Wireless etc) and then there seems to be an endless line of companies that make assorted products for all of them until you start going :wtf: :stupid2: trying to make snse of it all and keep them straight.

Otherwise, it looks like I might be the HTG TS guinea pig in a month or so :T
              Jason

Comment

• Hdale85
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2006

I'm not sure, iRule seems to support most of the wireless brands for lighting control. I was originally waiting to get an 8.9" tablet to build a UI for it but I'll probably end up just building one for my Nexus 7 now. I would imagine most would support any sort of wireless based one, lighting that's networkable.

Comment

• aud19
                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2003

Yeah, just wondering who the "big dogs" are in the wireless/IP lighting control game? It's literally completely new and foreign to me. I have no idea where to even start or who would be considered the quality companies to deal with.

Is something like Lutron HomeWorks the right direction to head?

Discover Lutron HomeWorks for the most uncompromising home automation projects - offering the ultimate design freedom throughout the entire home.
                  Last edited by aud19; 28 February 2013, 20:54 Thursday.
                  Jason

Comment

• JeremyG
                    • Sep 2008

I would think one of the big dogs is Control4. Although, the Lutron stuff looks nice.

Comment

• Hdale85
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2006

Control4 is just an interface really. They don't actually make any light switches as far as I know. Lutron is the big money brand that's out there. I think the other big one that's more affordable is Insteon.

Comment

• Chris D
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Dec 2000

Yeah, I use Lutron. They interface nicely with URC as well.
                        CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• aud19
                          Twin Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Hdale85
                          Control4 is just an interface really. They don't actually make any light switches as far as I know. Lutron is the big money brand that's out there. I think the other big one that's more affordable is Insteon.
                          Been doing a LOT of Googling :lol: and yes Insteon seems to be coming up a LOT as the more DIY friendly and more affordable option. That looks like the direction I might be heading :T

Pretty cool stuff too. They use dual-band allowing for both wireless RF and wired via the homes electrical wiring to communicate as well as act as a mesh network (all the components are repeaters/extenders) meaning the more components you add, the more robust the network :T

Insteon is the most reliable and simplest way to turn your home into a smart home. Control, monitor, and automate lights from anywhere

INSTEON is the most reliable and best-selling wireless home-control networking technology. INSTEON offers more scalability and flexibility than any other home management system on the market. INSTEON is the only technology that simultaneously utilizes both wireless RF and the powerlines (electrical wires) in a building. This produces unsurpassed reliability.

Reliable

Dual-band – INSTEON signals travel through the air and over electrical wires at the same time. Since issues with each physical medium seldom co-exist at any particular location, each helps to work around issues on the other. Data indicates that error rates are approximately 100 times less likely given this dual-band advantage. INSTEON is the only technology that has this dual-band advantage.

Scalable

There is no practical limit to the size of an INSTEON network (the theoretical limit is currently 16.7 million). Installations over 400 nodes are fairly common. One installation is approaching 2,000 nodes. Another installation automates the building systems in a 600,000 SF industrial building. Most other networking technologies cannot scale beyond 256 nodes.

Fast

Utilizing a unique Statelink technology, a single INSTEON signal can simultaneously activate hundreds or even thousands of devices simultaneously. Other technologies need to send much more data. None can compare with the actual throughput of INSTEON.

Affordable

INSTEON is the most price competitive technology on the market.

Guaranteed Forwards and Backwards Compatibility

INSTEON’s Statelink technology guarantees both forward and backwards compatibility amongst products. No other networking technology enjoys this advantage.

- See more at: http://www.insteon.net/about-benefit....cRpiJXNq.dpuf
                          Some other good news regarding TS that I got while corresponding with them is that as they work towards implementing IP control (for things like Insteon) they have a temporary work around as well:

This is not the complete rewrite version we are working on but it has a GREAT NEW feature.

You can now launch any other Android App from within the TS app, and when you close it with the back button, you will be right back where you left off.

This is great if you have a favorite TV guide, or maybe you use XBMC or Dune and want to control it with IP.

You access it like this:
                          To start an app from a button in the activity screen:
                          Squid Eye/Advanced/customize buttons as usual.

Select the first device on the list. In the command list you will find a new commands "RUN APP". select this, and a list of installed apps will come up. It is always a long list and some of the names are not obvious.

Name the button and save changes. Try it out!

On the PRO version a similar procedure can be done on a favorites button so you could make a page of favorite apps.

Don't launch the Touchsquid remote app this way! Small apps are probably best.

We have had quite a few people ask us about controlling Media PCs and specifically Windows Media Center over wifi, and now you can do this. Just buy our Media PC app (it is inexpensive) and use RUN APP.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai...touchsquid
                          As Insteon has it's own app, I could (as a temporary work around) simply have the lighting program load as part of a TS activity At least until they get the WIFI IP thing working.

Really liking their software more and more and the friendly, quick and knowledgeable responses are making me feel MUCH more comfortable shelling out $50 for their app :yesnod:
                          Jason

Comment

• Kevin D
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Oct 2002

They make lights, thermostats, and a crap-ton of other devices, and if they don't make it they seem to have partners everywhere that have native support (dead-bolts, security, etc). Their phone/tablet app, while it looks like their standard GUI's, is still limited in some areas.

Of course the fact that you need a dealer to program it and the cost for the smallest controller, I think it's out.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Kevin D
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Oct 2002

Originally posted by aud19
                              Been doing a LOT of Googling :lol: and yes Insteon seems to be coming up a LOT as the more DIY friendly and more affordable option. That looks like the direction I might be heading :T

As Insteon has it's own app, I could (as a temporary work around) simply have the lighting program load as part of a TS activity At least until they get the WIFI IP thing working.

Really liking their software more and more and the friendly, quick and knowledgeable responses are making me feel MUCH more comfortable shelling out $50 for their app :yesnod:
                              If you could swing the cost ($500 controller, $150 a dimmer), I highly recommend Lutron's Radio Ra2. They can be controlled over ethernet and have their own app as well.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Hdale85
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Jan 2006

Yeah, there are a ton of interfaces that support all that stuff natively now. iRule you can pretty much make it control anything that can take IR, RS232, or IP. Of course there are apps for the hardware from the company as well. The control 4 stuff is more for people that have the money and don't want to mess with it all imo. It can do some neat things but most of it can be done for cheaper other ways.

Comment

• Kevin D
                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                  • Oct 2002

The control 4 stuff is more for people that have the money and don't want to mess with it all imo. It can do some neat things but most of it can be done for cheaper other ways.
                                  Oh, most definitely. The biggest problem I have with it is that it can do ANYTHING you think of, as long as they thought of it too.

Kevin D.

Comment

• aud19
                                    Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Kevin D
                                    If you could swing the cost ($500 controller, $150 a dimmer), I highly recommend Lutron's Radio Ra2. They can be controlled over ethernet and have their own app as well.

Kevin D.
                                    I looked long and hard at it but given that their RF stuff uses a proprietary protocol it doesn't look like it would easily integrate in to the TS software I want to use. Insteon just seems more DIY friendly for both hardware and software where as Lutron seems very dealer/installer oriented. There's nothing wrong with that, heck it's probably better for most people but doesn't necessarily suit what I want to do and how I want to do it.

That and their equipment being roughly 2-3 times the cost over Insteon and the fact that Insteon seems just as functional (if not more so with some neat features)...just seems like a no-brainer for me.

FWIW, while I was researching stuff I also came across this that I thought was pretty neat (though not really what I want to do):

Jason

Comment

• Hdale85
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Jan 2006

Jason, that's pretty awesome. Wonder what the cost of that system is. Kind of neat it's all built into the bulbs.

Comment

• aud19
                                        Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Aug 2003

Jason, that's pretty awesome. Wonder what the cost of that system is. Kind of neat it's all built into the bulbs.
                                        Looks like ~$200 for a "starter pack" with Three Hue light bulbs, One Hue bridge, Power supply for Hue bridge and a LAN cable to connect the Hue bridge to your router. Additional bulbs are ~$60 each.

Insteon also sells an IP bulb for ~$30 but it doesn't do the pretty colours/hues, just on, off and dim as far as I know.

Insteon is the most reliable and simplest way to turn your home into a smart home. Control, monitor, and automate lights from anywhere

Jason

Comment

• Hdale85
                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Jan 2006

Hmm, that's not HORRIBLE. I'm guessing they are some kind of LED bulb so should last a long time.

Comment

• aud19
                                            Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Aug 2003

Come Monday, Here's what I'll be ordering:

One of - http://www.insteon.com/2412N-smartli...ontroller.html

We'll be using this to control the lighting from our smart phones and tablet.

Two of - http://www.insteon.com/2477D-switchlinc-dual-band.html

These will control the two 3-way switches of the main light above the seating in the TV room.

One of - http://www.insteon.com/2477s-switchlinc-dual-band.html

This will control our front exterior light with a sunset/sunrise on/off schedule.

One of - http://www.insteon.com/2456s3-appliancelinc.html

This will control a small 6500K fluorescent TV backlight eventually to be programmed via macro to turn on/off with the TV.
                                            Jason

Comment

• Chris D
                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                              • Dec 2000

Very cool, Jason. I'm fascinated to know how it turns out for you!
                                              CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• JeremyG
                                                • Sep 2008

Yes, very cool, Jason. I'm interested as well.

Comment

• aud19
                                                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                                  • Aug 2003

Just placed the order! I'll let you know how it goes when I get them delivered and installed
                                                  Jason

Comment

• aud19
                                                    Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                                    • Aug 2003

Well I got my outdoor front light switch wired up, the ApplianceLinc running the TV backlight and the SmartLinc controller all connected and setup on my phone/computer to control on the weekend. All went fairly easy and straightforward and the outdoor light is now running sunset to sunrise automatically and I no longer need to crawl behind my front right speaker to unplug the backlight!

Just need to get the tablet next and setup the universal remote/macro stuff and finish installing the two dimmer units for the light above our TV room seating. Works great so far though :T
                                                    Jason

Comment

• aud19
                                                      Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                                      • Aug 2003

Finally got the tablet! Installed the demo version of TouchSquid last night but only had about 15 minutes to fiddle with it. Got all my equipment in to the software but I'll have to tweak it to get it seamlessly switching between sources etc. Once I get a better understanding of the software I'll likely spring for the Pro Samsung version to allow for more equipment, macros etc.

So far it seems pretty user friendly and intuitive though :T
                                                      Jason

Comment

Working...
                                                      😀
                                                      😂
                                                      🥰
                                                      😘
                                                      🤢
                                                      😎
                                                      😞
                                                      😡
                                                      👍
                                                      👎
                                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                      Search Result for "|||"