X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ovation
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

Vintage gear coming to the house

Well, seeing as I'm an historian AND I have to spend way more time than I used to in my home office AND I have a spare amp but no pre-amp lying around AND I want to improve my home office audio options...I decided to pick up a used pre-amp. Found an inexpensive Yamaha C-45 pre-amp (circa 1985) in fine condition. No remote (not because it was lost, but because it never had one--old school. :T ).

I didn't strictly "need" it. But then, who in this hobby "needs" most of the gear they buy? Will check back in when I've had time to move stuff around and set up my new 2-channel rig.

Here's a link to a photo of my pre-amp (it arrives tomorrow).
    Last edited by Ovation; 14 April 2020, 21:21 Tuesday. Reason: Add link to photo
  • kmak
    Super Senior Member
    • Dec 2002

Nice!

Comment

• Ovation
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2004

It arrived today (a bit late, but I'll blame COVID-19 for the mail delay). Everything works great. Super clean (not quite new but certainly doesn't look or sound 35 years old). Have only given it a brief go-around to confirm all things work. Biggest unexpected (and positive) surprise is the quite powerful and super clean sounding built-in headphone amp. All in all, well worth what I paid (240$ CDN--would have been worth the same in US$ for its condition).

Comment

• Ovation
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2004

My 80s era Yamaha C-45 pre-amp (bought it used nearly a year ago) has mysteriously developed a problem that I hope would not be too expensive or complex to fix.

The input selector switches are a push-button design (the buttons are angled and are mechanical--in normal use, they click when you push one--the photo in the link in the first post of the thread shows it). As of about a week ago, almost all of them are only sporadically responsive. I have to push them several times to get them to actually select the input. Two of them appear worse than the others. If I press down from the top of the square button to the bottom (drag my finger, really, more than push), it makes a "sproing" sound very much like those springs on floorboards behind doors that kids like to fiddle with. What I don't understand is that this problem was non-existent when I received it. The pre-amp otherwise works perfectly (no static or other issues with knobs, etc.) and it has sat, undisturbed (apart from normal--and rather infrequent, sadly--usage). Nothing has been dropped on it, no one has used unnecessary force on the buttons, or anything else. I am puzzled both about how this problem arose and what I could do about it.

Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions? I will likely seek out a local repair shop that specializes in older gear, but I thought I'd reach out to see if anyone else has had a similar issue.

Comment

• Alaric
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Jan 2006

I have a Yamaha service manual for the C-45. It's a whole 1.55 MB .pdf file. You're welcome to it if you'd like. Even if you aren't going to open it up a repair shop might find it handy for fixing it for you. If you're interested PM me your email address and I'll send it to you, or I can post it as an attachment-I think. I'll try that first in a separate post.
          Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
          Marantz PM-KI Pearl
          Schiit Modi 3
          Marantz CD5005
          Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Alaric
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Jan 2006

yamaha_c-45.pdf

And I do believe it worked. Here you go, one Yamaha C-45 Service Manual.
            Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
            Marantz PM-KI Pearl
            Schiit Modi 3
            Marantz CD5005
            Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Ovation
              Super Senior Member
              • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Alaric
              [ATTACH]31006[/ATTACH]

And I do believe it worked. Here you go, one Yamaha C-45 Service Manual.
              Much appreciated. :T

Comment

• Alaric
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Jan 2006

Glad I could help. After losing my favorite (and main) pieces of gear to basic failures I hate to see someone else go through it. If memory serves (Hit or miss as age descends on me) wkhanna has a guy in his town who, by all accounts, is a wizard with gear of that vintage. It's funny how we can get attached and emotionally invested in a box of wires relative to another box of wires but we do, and it's part of what makes us...special. And not special like my mom said! :rofl:

This is the community stuff I've missed in my life. I'm glad I lived long enough to appreciate it with time to do something about it.
                Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                Schiit Modi 3
                Marantz CD5005
                Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"