Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

Nascent...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Nascent-Definition.png
Views:	4154
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	870130

While music is clearly the primary inspiration for these efforts we discuss on the forum, there is another element driving activities- usually the availability of a driver or drivers that pique the curiosity and interest because of performance or value, or regrettably, like some women, just how they look.

No one is likely to claim that the ZA14W08 is just another pretty face around this part of the galaxy, though we hear few complaints about the appearance.

So, while there are many existing designs from others as well as the driver creator, one more may yet be useful also.

Image no longer available

Name:	D2608 Curves.png
Views:	6817
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	870131

Perhaps an unconventional baffle arrangement in an MTM designed for a large vertical window in the crossover region seems a good starting point....

Name:	NascentPnl2.jpg
Views:	5408
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	870133

Name:	Nascent11-23-Schem.png
Views:	4119
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	870132
    Last edited by theSven; 10 March 2023, 16:49 Friday. Reason: Update image location
    DFAL
    Dark Force Acoustic Labs

A wholly owned subsidiary of Palpatine Heavy Industries
  • Evil Twin
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

Reserved

Reserved for additional material
    DFAL
    Dark Force Acoustic Labs

Comment

• Evil Twin
      Super Senior Member
      • Nov 2004

Reserved for Bothan spies

who will be prosecuted to the full extent of Imperial law.
      DFAL
      Dark Force Acoustic Labs

Comment

• Evil Twin
        Super Senior Member
        • Nov 2004

Reserved for the Chancellor

Name:	Palpatine2.jpg
Views:	3621
Size:	12.3 KB
ID:	853886
        Last edited by theSven; 10 March 2023, 16:50 Friday. Reason: Update image location
        DFAL
        Dark Force Acoustic Labs

Comment

• Hank
          Super Senior Member
          • Jul 2002

Uh-oh, he's baaaaack! It's a good thing Jon is so saddled with work - if he were here with E.T., they'd be doing another over-the-top extravaganza.
          Look who's talking - I'm in my office and everyone else is gone... :cry:

Comment

• Evil Twin
            Super Senior Member
            • Nov 2004

I'm certain the Moff you report to is most pleased with your dedication to duty... but there are times when fulfilling the Dark side requires a more independent course of behavior on your part.

Consider this a warning... I do not wish to be having this conversation with you again this time next year...
            DFAL
            Dark Force Acoustic Labs

Comment

• augerpro
              Super Senior Member
              • Aug 2006

Awesome driver combo! This will be a popular project. Any plans for TM?
              ~Brandon 8O
              Please donate to my Waveguides for CNC and 3D Printing Project!!
              Please donate to my Monster Box Construction Methods Project!!
              DriverVault
              Soma Sonus

Comment

• 69Stingray
                • Feb 2007

love the wood work. Looking forward to more info. - I would love to see a detail explanation (and reasoning behind) the woofer circuit.

Comment

• Paul Ebert
                  • May 2004

Sure wish that John would come out with an 8 or 10 inch woofer with commensurate performance and appearance.

Comment

• 69Stingray
                    • Feb 2007

Sure wish that John would come out with an 8 or 10 inch woofer with commensurate performance and appearance.
                    I would love to see John either take over production or re-engineer the Vifa D26NC55. Add a tuned rear chamber to lover the Fs below 1 kHz. Add a circle waveguide faceplate (similar to the Vifa BC25SC06-04). It would be great of he could set the depth of the waveguide such that the tweeter would be time aligned with his ZA14W08. If the price stayed under $50, I think it would be very popular tweeter.

Also, Evil Twin, I am curious if you feel that the Scan Speak tweeter is the best value to mate with ZA14W08?

Comment

• Evil Twin
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Nov 2004

Adjucator

Originally posted by augerpro
                      Awesome driver combo! This will be a popular project. Any plans for TM?

The usual arguments I hear for a TM relate to the issues with narrow dispersion vertically for a typical MTM- which impacts the listening window and the power response- good arguments all. But based on the assumption that an LR4 is THE target transfer function to use for an MTM- an a priori limitation that should be examined and discarded by a thoughtful designer.

The main argument against a TM is the drop in output level and votlage sensitivity for small drivers, and the relatively small savings in cost and effort. So while I would not rule that possibility out, this must be framed against the larger considerations of the system design of which the Nascent is but a component.

The name for the Nascent was chosen because while in it’s base form, it yields very good performance, it has not realized it’s full potential.
                      This potential is realized by the additional of the Hyper-Drive module, woofer and crossover assembly, which upgrades the Nascent to the three way Adjucator system, a speaker with substantial extensions in SPL capability and low frequency weight and definition- of reference quality to the extent that you may find it well suited to judging the quality and performance of other components- and may find them lacking. This addition also opens up the midrange performance, particularly for music at more life like listening levels.

Think of the Nascent as the command saucer from a Terran Federation Enterprise class ship- capable of carrying the heart of the crew, full command and control, and with local maneuvering via impulse engines.

The ability to interface the crossover of the Nascent with the complete Adjucator system requires some additional complexities, and precludes the use of a quasi-series network as employed in the NatalieP.

The Adjucator is a complete system akin to the Star Destroyer after which it is named, with capabilities raised by an order of magnitude.

Development targets include very linear frequency response on and off axis, uniform power response, and low distortion, including low cabinet radiated artifacts. To this end, special materials have been used in the front panel fabrication, using a three layer panel that provides a very stiff and low noise “launch pad” for improved definition of inner detail. Linear frequency response on axis by itself is a pre-requisite, but not nearly sufficient for sublime reproduction of complex musical works.

===================================

Chancellor’s note: My enthusiastic apprentice maybe getting carried away overmuch in his prose, (if not outright indulging in satire of well known industry figures), but keep in mind that while the prose may be satire, the project, methodology, and results most assuredly are not...
                      Last edited by theSven; 10 March 2023, 16:51 Friday. Reason: update image location
                      DFAL
                      Dark Force Acoustic Labs

Comment

• Evil Twin
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Nov 2004

Originally posted by 69Stingray
                        love the wood work. Looking forward to more info. - I would love to see a detail explanation (and reasoning behind) the woofer circuit.
                        I could as well use the explanation for the unorthodox NatilieP crossover- it's what works- but the simple basis is that it is a 3rd order network with trap filter for the driver upper range resonance, and some additional frequency shaping besides the baffle step compensation. R3 is merely a representation of the capacitor ESR.
                        DFAL
                        Dark Force Acoustic Labs

Comment

• ---k---
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Nov 2005

ET,
                          Is the tweeter measurement on that baffle? I'm wondering what kind of diffraction your going to get off of the woofers. With that pretty wood, there isn't going to be any felt, right?
                          - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                          CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                          CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Evil Twin
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Nov 2004

Originally posted by ---k---
                            ET,
                            Is the tweeter measurement on that baffle? I'm wondering what kind of diffraction your going to get off of the woofers. With that pretty wood, there isn't going to be any felt, right?
                            Regrettably from the viewpoint of cosmetics, a felt based diffraction assembly is used, located between the parallel edges of the woofer plates, but the cosmetic impact is fairly minimal, the final configuration in development but delayed by a failed microphone preamplifier.

You know how well I handle failure by subordinates or equipment...

Some people say I have anger management issues....

I see it as just having management issues.

Regardless, it's always an option to omit such felt or acoustical foam, for those for whom cosmetics rule. The farfield power response will still be pretty similar, though the on axis response not as smooth.

The panels have been finish sanded, detailed and lacquered, the results are very satisfactory with a simple finishing process.

As the workshop is undergoing a complete re-organization this weekend, and next weekend I'm installing a system for the Princess's cousin with the cervical disability, further updates will be delayed a week or so. We are also looking at a lower cost driver alternative from the Ohio Sector for the Adjucator module, though the main construction and tests will be completed with components on hand from the primary vendor from the Danish Quadrant.

Image no longer available

The measured performance of these 22W/8857 is MOST satisfactory...
                            Last edited by theSven; 10 March 2023, 16:51 Friday. Reason: Update image location
                            DFAL
                            Dark Force Acoustic Labs

Comment

• chasw98
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Evil Twin
                              As the workshop is undergoing a complete re-organization this weekend, and next weekend I'm installing a system for the Princess's cousin with the cervical disability, further updates will be delayed a week or so.
                              I guess there won't be much sawdust to pick up will there? :B :B :T

Comment

• TacoD
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Feb 2004

We are also looking at a lower cost driver alternative from the Ohio Sector for the Adjucator module, though the main construction and tests will be completed with components on hand from the primary vendor from the Danish Quadrant.
                                Ohio sector? Is this Aurasound? (Sorry but I am never been in your sector)

Comment

• Evil Twin
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Nov 2004

Originally posted by TacoD
                                  Ohio sector? Is this Aurasound? (Sorry but I am never been in your sector)

Dayton, Ohio, is the home base for the "house vendor" of this forum- they're the ones running the annoying Flash ads up above that I block in my normal browser. :twisted:
                                  DFAL
                                  Dark Force Acoustic Labs

Comment

• Evil Twin
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Nov 2004

[QUOTE=chasw98][QUOTE=Evil Twin]As the workshop is undergoing a complete re-organization this weekend, and next weekend I'm installing a system for the Princess's cousin with the cervical disability, further updates will be delayed a week or so.

I guess there won't be much sawdust to pick up will there? :B :B :T
                                    I have stored an adequate quantity of sawdust to "doctor" photographs as needed. However, most of the saw dust generation for this technological terror is complete. Once I was the student, now I am the janitor.
                                    DFAL
                                    Dark Force Acoustic Labs

Comment

• Paul K.
                                      • Jul 2008

I used this SS woofer in my canTiLenas (which came in first in the Unlimited Class at Iowa 2007 DIY) and it's an absolutely super woofer with a spectacular dynamic range. The 3-way canTiLenas are my personal reference speaker and will likely remain as such for a long, long time.
                                      Paul

hand from the primary vendor from the Danish Quadrant.

Image not available

Name:	CanTiLena, no grille.JPG
Views:	3234
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	853898
                                      Last edited by theSven; 10 March 2023, 16:52 Friday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• 69Stingray
                                        • Feb 2007

I could as well use the explanation for the unorthodox NatilieP crossover- it's what works- but the simple basis is that it is a 3rd order network with trap filter for the driver upper range resonance, and some additional frequency shaping besides the baffle step compensation. R3 is merely a representation of the capacitor ESR.
                                        ET- thanks.

I see the traditional Zobel next to the drivers. I can also see the 3rd-order electrical filter topology, where the 2nd inductor is also a contour network. I was surprised to see the capacitor split into two. What is the reasoning behind that? Also, what does R7 do? Is that part of the trap filter you mention? I don't think I have seen a resistor in that position in a circuit before.

Comment

• Evil Twin
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Nov 2004

Originally posted by 69Stingray
                                          ET- thanks.

I see the traditional Zobel next to the drivers. I can also see the 3rd-order electrical filter topology, where the 2nd inductor is also a contour network. I was surprised to see the capacitor split into two. What is the reasoning behind that? Also, what does R7 do? Is that part of the trap filter you mention? I don't think I have seen a resistor in that position in a circuit before.
                                          Have you worked on control circuit compensation? The usage is similar. The use of R7 in series with C8 introduces a lead zero in the roll off pole established by C8. At lower frequencies, the value of C8 adds to C3 to determine the natural resonance and response of the combination of L2 and C8+C3. At about the frequency where the Xc of C8 is equal to the value of R7, the zero compensating the pole is introduced. This combination is subtly employed here, but allows more detailed shaping of the response curve.

It is a very similar trick to the modifications we used to make on the analog stick control boards of the first generation Seinar Tie Fighters- the control loop response could be speeded up, with faster yaw and roll rates, if the pilot has the reflexes and speed to match. Otherwise, the most likely result is to spin out of control.

The trap filter is created from the combination of L3 which is part of the LF crossover network, and the addition of C4 in parallel. This introduces a resonant notch in the output which in this case is tuned to the driver peak.

If you like puzzling over networks, try the NatlieP design which I did years ago - it is a combined series/parallel network with interesting characteristics.

Name:	NataliePSchm.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	929395

Name:	NataliePSPL.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	149.3 KB
ID:	929396
                                          Last edited by theSven; 10 March 2023, 16:53 Friday. Reason: Update image location
                                          DFAL
                                          Dark Force Acoustic Labs

Comment

• jkrutke
                                            • Dec 2005

Threads with odd names don't normally catch my attention, but I'm glad I clicked on this one. Looks great, and nice tweeter choice and awesome baffle design. Maybe it's just me, but I get a little comfort by having the Scan Speak name on the tweeter. Peerless consistency has not always lived up to the name.

Looking forward to more design information and more pictures.

Originally posted by Paul Ebert
                                            I already had one prototype made from one build house, and I was not happy with it. Or I should say, it was OK, but in several areas it did not blow me away. It's hard to get a build house to give me exactly what I want, at least without having the price jacked up with custom tooling. An 8" is something that I am considering, but a lot has to fall into place just right for me to be willing to put my name on something and bring it to market. There may never be an 8 or 10 from Zaph Audio, so don't hold your breath.

I bet it is. The 8851 I tested was best 8" in the driver group, and I bet ( or should say hope) the metal cone gives a smoother response on the top end. Looking forward to your measurements.
                                            Zaph|Audio

Comment

• Jonasz
                                              • Nov 2004

Troels used the 8857 in his Jazzman design.

Comment

• Paul K.
                                                • Jul 2008

Jonas: Did you get the email I sent you containing the attachment about the canTiLenas?
                                                Paul

Originally posted by Jonasz
                                                Troels used the 8857 in his Jazzman design.

http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/jazzman.htm

Comment

• LING GOWA
                                                  • Dec 2007

I'm surprised that nobody has snagged John's driver for midrange duty in a 3-way.
                                                  Website

Comment

• Arc00
                                                    • Mar 2008

Originally posted by LING GOWA
                                                    I'm surprised that nobody has snagged John's driver for midrange duty in a 3-way.

My current project is the ZA14 with a RS225 and XT25/SS6600.

Comment

• benchtester
                                                      • Sep 2007

Originally posted by Arc00
                                                      My current project is the ZA14 with a RS225 and XT25/SS6600.
                                                      Go for the SS6600, you won't regret it.

Or the SS D2004/6020-00 (if one ZA14)

Free support for loudspeaker projects, sourcing OEM speaker building supplies, and passive crossover design. We sell raw speaker drivers (tweeters, woofers, subwoofer, midrange drivers, full range drivers), speaker kits, amplifiers, capacitors, resistors, and inductors.

Comment

• Arc00
                                                        • Mar 2008

Originally posted by benchtester
                                                        Go for the SS6600, you won't regret it.

Or the SS D2004/6020-00 (if one ZA14)

http://www.madisound.com/catalog/pro...oducts_id=8512
                                                        I have the 6600, I just took it out of my car. I just can't decide if I want to keep it out of there.

Comment

• Jonasz
                                                          • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Paul K.
                                                          Jonas: Did you get the email I sent you containing the attachment about the canTiLenas?
                                                          Paul
                                                          Yes I did, thanks a lot Paul! :T

Comment

• augerpro
                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                            • Aug 2006

Just realized I have all the drivers and could use my PE cabinets after making up a new baffle! Next time I get into the garage I'll have to whip up a pair of these

Jon, question on the resonance trap on the tweeter being before the rest of the network: is this to keep the resonance more manageable by trapping it before the reactance with the first cap causes it the impedance to spike? Only downside I could see is maybe an increase inthe amount of power that must be sunk?
                                                            ~Brandon 8O
                                                            Please donate to my Waveguides for CNC and 3D Printing Project!!
                                                            Please donate to my Monster Box Construction Methods Project!!
                                                            DriverVault
                                                            Soma Sonus

Comment

• savage25xtreme
                                                              • Dec 2008

CAD drawing

I am a little confused by what the 2 lines on the side are indicating. 8 inches long and 6 inches down from the top?

Also where could I find harmonic distortion plots on the D2608? EDIT: found it on Zaph's page under the old peerless number.

Zaph's driver looks amazing 300hz to 2500hz, to my novice eye.
                                                              Gavin

BAMTM Build

Comment

• ---k---
                                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                                • Nov 2005

I'm guessing that the 8" long line is to indicate the roundover on the edge. Jon should confirm.
                                                                - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                                                                CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                                                                CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Evil Twin
                                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                                  • Nov 2004

Ryan's surmise is correct. This cut with a router must be completed on the lower panel prior to gluing the woofer plates to the main front panel.

With regards to Brandon's question, the LCR network is not a tweeter trap, but a zobel for the total crossover impedance, intended to reduce interaction with tube amplifiers or zero feedback solid state amplifiers. The Q and level of the tweeter FS impedance peak is such that a network was found to be unnecessary.

The harmonic distortion numbers I recorded for the D2608 from SS were so low they strained credulity- so I will remeasure later, as well as measure within the system context.
                                                                  DFAL
                                                                  Dark Force Acoustic Labs

Comment

• evilskillit
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Oct 2008

This is an interesting project, coming up on two months later, any new developments?

Comment

• Evil Twin
                                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                                      • Nov 2004

A new hope for SACD playback

Originally posted by evilskillit
                                                                      This is an interesting project, coming up on two months later, any new developments?
                                                                      The Chancellor "re-prioritized" my activities over the holidays, putting an Imperial priority class 1 effort behind an electronics project, just recently completed.

Name:	DV79AVi-800.jpg
Views:	21025
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	854191

This Sith sponsored project modified a terran Pioneer DV79AVi disk player, enabling it to output 24bit/176.4 kHz PCM on a custom SPDIF output when playing SACD disks (high resolution PCM down converted from DSD, using a custom processor with 37 bit math and 48 bit accumulators), with Imperial Sector decryption technology originally developed by the electronics division of Seinar Industries to intercept encrypted rebel communications.

This effort proved to be more taxing and time consuming than anticipated, but the Chancellor appears to be most satisfied with the results- it is rumored he has a large collection of single layer SACDs imported from the Terran Federation at great cost, which he plans now to use in the Executor Star Destroyer and the Imperial shuttle audio system after conversion and storage in Sith Holocrons.
                                                                      Last edited by theSven; 10 March 2023, 16:54 Friday. Reason: Update image location
                                                                      DFAL
                                                                      Dark Force Acoustic Labs

Comment

• evilskillit
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Oct 2008

Most impressive. I will patiently await further updates to the Nascent when the Chancelor's primary task is complete.

Comment

• bbcmp1979
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • Dec 2009

subscribe for future ref

Comment

• A9X
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • Jan 2007
                                                                            • 107

I really like the laminated and shaped baffle.

Comment

• Chancellor
                                                                              Junior Member
                                                                              • Jan 2010
                                                                              • 13

#39
                                                                              A new direction...

The course of events and developments has necessitated that I take matters firmly in hand with my eager apprentice and provide some additional guidance. The original concept he has been working on has not proceeded in an acceptable manner or with results that are fully satisfactory.

For this reason he will be revisiting some key parameters of the Nascent design and adjusting matters accordingly- it is only in his best interest, as the alternative would be some one on one training in the more painful and esoteric uses of Force Lightning, a training for which I cannot provide assurances he would survive. The only reason we are not proceeding already with this Force Lightning exercise is the fairly acceptable performance rendered with regards to the SACD player modifications.

I'm sure we can find adequate means to motivate my apprentice towards significant progress, so that the forum members eagerly awaiting news of this project won't be kept in the Dark too much longer...

Comment

• cjd
                                                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                • Dec 2004
                                                                                • 5570

#40
                                                                                Originally posted by Chancellor
                                                                                I'm sure we can find adequate means to motivate my apprentice towards significant progress
                                                                                Maybe you can get him to stop creating alts on forums and applying himself toward these efforts instead...

:P
                                                                                diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• numberoneoppa
                                                                                  Senior Member
                                                                                  • Sep 2009
                                                                                  • 535

#41
                                                                                  Yeah, I'm baffled.

Get it? Baffled. Haha.`
                                                                                  -Josh

That feeling when things are finally going right. Yeah, that one.

Comment

• evilskillit
                                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                                    • Oct 2008
                                                                                    • 468

#42
                                                                                    Good thing 3rd post was reserved for The Chancellor, or we'd all be in trouble.

Comment

• Evil Twin
                                                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                                                      • Nov 2004
                                                                                      • 1532

#43
                                                                                      Ahhh, summertime and an old Sith Lord's thought turn toward building speakers... this project has languished too long, it is past time to correct that situation.

Not considering the influence of the grille cloth, or planned diffraction control, but planning for it, the last crossover update shows promise, but needs additional review...

Name:	Nascent-X-ZBL-PlotB3_zps95bedcd7.png
Views:	57
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	929397
                                                                                      Last edited by theSven; 10 March 2023, 16:54 Friday. Reason: Update image location
                                                                                      DFAL
                                                                                      Dark Force Acoustic Labs

Comment

• 5th element
                                                                                        Supreme Being Moderator
                                                                                        • Sep 2009
                                                                                        • 1671

#44
                                                                                        Well there's a blast from the past! I always wondered what happened to these. The ZA14s are pretty darned good drivers and the 9130 ain't no slouch either.

A nice low xover point for the MTM and making the 9130 worth the while. You've said the xover needs fine tuning, the rising top might be a bit much and that little dip/peak at 5k might cause a tad bit of sibilance but you'd need to listen to see. Well at least there are things you know you can do if areas do irritate.

Given the less expensive nature of the drivers it would make sense to keep the xover count down too. What's it looking like at the moment?
                                                                                        What you screamin' for, every five minutes there's a bomb or something. I'm leavin' Bzzzzzzz!
                                                                                        5th Element, otherwise known as Matt.
                                                                                        Now with website. www.5een.co.uk Still under construction.

Comment

• benchtester
                                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                                          • Sep 2007
                                                                                          • 213

#45
                                                                                          I designed a 2-way speaker with the ZA14 and the Seas DXT tweeter, and have tried the HDS with another woofer. But in the effort to make a very affordable speaker: what about mating it with the SB26STCN (which I have not heard)?

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"