X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • june
    • Feb 2005

Info transferring?

hello all,

how long would it take to tranfer info from a 1tb hard driver to another using a laptop computer?
    June
    "IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL"
  • chrispy35
    • Feb 2004

Many hours via USB connection. It takes a few hours for me to backup about ~400G of music/photos to external drives.

Comment

• numberoneoppa
      • Sep 2009

It depends on the method of file transfer, USB being the slowest. Firewire or Gigabit Ethernet would be far superior. Another factor is: how much data are we talking about? Just because your drive is 1TB doesn't mean you're filling the whole thing. Lastly, is this one or a few larges files, or is it many small files? Many transfer protocols give you far faster speeds when it's fewer, larger files; not many, smaller files.

According to my calculations, on USB 2.0, you'd get from 5MB/s to 25MB/s, so if we pick a number, let's say 15MB/s, transferring 1TB of data would take 18 hours. You can compare this to about 5 hours for firewire or gigabit ethernet (on a good day, depending on other factors, too).

:/
      -Josh

That feeling when things are finally going right. Yeah, that one.

Comment

• PewterTA
        • Nov 2004

unfortunately USB to USB will be slow...if the laptop is decent you should get close to 20MB/s or 25MB/s.

If you laptop has an esata connection, if you plug one in with that and the other into USB that's your best bet.

Ideally a computer with two Sata connections you could use would be the quickest.
        Digital Audio makes me Happy.
        -Dan

Comment

• june
          • Feb 2005

thanks all,

approx. 9mins per mkv file :M
          June
          "IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL"

Comment

• PewterTA
            • Nov 2004

Yep no fun at all.

But at least that will go quicker than millions and millions of little < 500K files.

Big files transfer more quickly.
            Digital Audio makes me Happy.
            -Dan

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"