X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • maseline_98
    • Apr 2005

Anybody as hyped about this as I am?

Every month, I get my comcast bill and ask myself..."Why the h3ll am I paying $14/month to be able to do something that we've been able to do since the early 80's?" Well...I think I'm finally ready for a HTPC and this card will be the answer. I just hope it isn't $300+ like the ATI card out there(which I'm sure it will be).

Sony kds-60a2000\Panasonic BD-55k\XBOX 360 Premium(20gig)Slingbox\Xbox(flashed) running XBMC
    Emotiva UMC-1\Emotiva XPA-5\Klipsch (2)RF-7s with DeanG xover upgrade, RC-7 with DeanG xover upgrade, (2)RS-7s\SVS 20-39PC+

• Apr 2005

I guess nobody is...lol

Sony kds-60a2000\Panasonic BD-55k\XBOX 360 Premium(20gig)Slingbox\Xbox(flashed) running XBMC
    Emotiva UMC-1\Emotiva XPA-5\Klipsch (2)RF-7s with DeanG xover upgrade, RC-7 with DeanG xover upgrade, (2)RS-7s\SVS 20-39PC+

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

I would be but Canada = no cable card unfortunately. Hard to get excited about something you'd dearly love to have but just can't. Much easier to be disappointed and a bit furious :lol:
      Jason

Comment

• Hdale85
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

Yeah our cable company doesn't offer cable cards either Was talking to the guy today about it...

Comment

• maseline_98
          • Apr 2005

Originally posted by aud19
          I would be but Canada = no cable card unfortunately. Hard to get excited about something you'd dearly love to have but just can't. Much easier to be disappointed and a bit furious :lol:
          I disagree...Have you ever seen Scarlett Johansson... :T

Comment

• maseline_98
            • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Dougie085
            Yeah our cable company doesn't offer cable cards either Was talking to the guy today about it...
            I believe that every cable company is entitled to due to the 1996 Telecommunications Act, but I could be wrong. Technically they cannot make a subscriber pay for a cablebox 'rental' and such.

Comment

• aud19
              Twin Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2003

Originally posted by maseline_98
              I disagree...Have you ever seen Scarlett Johansson... :T
              Touche :
              Jason

Comment

• Hdale85
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2006

Hmmm yeah I see they are supposed to offer it. Maybe the person I was talking to didn't know what I was talking about. If I can actually get a cable card then I may be interested in this device. Although I don't really watch TV much but we do have cable here due to internet and what not.

I'm guessing that cable card adapter ain't gonna be cheap though. Seems there will be a 4 and 6 tuner model. Honestly 4 tuners would be plenty for me. Hmm...unfortunately I don't know how quick linux support will be. And then there's the fact that I'm currently using XBMC and it does not support TV stuff quite yet Which means I'd have to switch to MythTV which is more complicated and not as pretty lol.

Comment

• maseline_98
                  • Apr 2005

Hmmm yeah I see they are supposed to offer it. Maybe the person I was talking to didn't know what I was talking about. If I can actually get a cable card then I may be interested in this device. Although I don't really watch TV much but we do have cable here due to internet and what not.

I'm guessing that cable card adapter ain't gonna be cheap though. Seems there will be a 4 and 6 tuner model. Honestly 4 tuners would be plenty for me. Hmm...unfortunately I don't know how quick linux support will be. And then there's the fact that I'm currently using XBMC and it does not support TV stuff quite yet Which means I'd have to switch to MythTV which is more complicated and not as pretty lol.
                  If I were you, I would probably just goto the your cable company local office. Most times that’s where the equipment is. If they don’t have them there, they should definitely be able to order you one.

Linux support might be awhile down the road, but you could always run a ‘dual-boot’ on your machine so you can run windows and linux. Are you using XBMC on your computer or on your xbox itself?

Comment

• Hdale85
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2006

Using XBMC on my custom HTPC. I have a media server and all my movies are ripped to h.264 mkv files there (1080p). I use XBMC in linux with VDPAU, looks fantastic. I'll have to see how linux support works out on that card. Maybe the tuners it uses are already supported.

Any idea of what the 4 tuner card will cost? I'm going to guess something like 300 bucks....maybe more.

Edit: Well I found this quote somewhere "The Ceto PC CableCard tuner is expected in Q1 2010 at a cost of between "more than $300" and "less than $600."" Sooo I don't know we'll have to see. Don't really want to spend 400 bucks on a card. Although if it works better then these crap DVR's then I may be willing to!

Comment

• maseline_98
                      • Apr 2005

Don't really want to spend 400 bucks on a card. Although if it works better then these crap DVR's then I may be willing to!
                      I can't say that I want to spend anything, but it just sucks that comcast charges $14.99/mo for dvr service and another $6/mo. to rent the stupid box and I can't even watch it throughout the house. Even if it's $400, it would only take about 20 months to recoup that much. Not to mention that if 2 things are recording at the same time, I can't change the channel...reminds me of the days when my dad used to record movies/shows via vhs in '88....lol....and that pain in the @$$ option of having to delete recording every single week to get new shows....i swear comcast's dvr only holds about 20-25 hours of hd programming in it...I'm not saying that I watch that much tv, but for a while there, I had the star wars triligy saved on it and would watch it periodically. Then 1 day...they were just gone!!!

I highly doubt that I will get it when it first comes out, but there will be other 'cheaper' options shortly after. Other companies will get with it and release their own name brands, but who knows...maybe comcast will even buy rights to it and start sticking them in their dvrs...

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      😂
                      🥰
                      😘
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😞
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"