X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Geof
    • May 2001

PMDT Progressive Card News

The Proceed Video Processor (PVP) manual is now online and available here.

This is a two card upgrade – an input card and an output card. You must remove the existing 480i component output card to use the PVP. The output card uses the DVDO chip to produce the 480p output. The input card selects an external 480i Component, S-Video, Composite, (or SCART) signal and transforms it into a digital component signal before it routes it to the progressive card to be output as a 480p signal. Proceed has really simplified the operation of the card if you have an AVP in addition to the PMDT but it also works without the AVP.

Perhaps the neatest thing is the card has a unique way to deal with the progressive lock issue of some TV’s. There is circuitry to "preshrink" a 4x3 signal so that when the TV expands it it looks normal. The solution sounds quite clever. It works seamlessly with DVD’s and can be switched in or out when using the input card. I wonder how long it will be before other DVD mfgr’s follow suit with the clever Proceed solution to this problem.

The Software to use the PVP is apparently available for both the PMDT and the AVP. In fact the AVP software finally includes the 96/24 code.

Todd told me the price of the PVP will be $1500 and it is starting to ship. I hope Stacey and the rest of the Secrets crew get to look at this setup….

Geof
    Geof
  • greynolds
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Geof,

Thanks for the news. Have you confirmed that the new AVP software is available? The update isn't on their website yet (which always seems to lag behind reality). Looks like it's time to take a trip to the dealer for the new software.

Geoff

Geoffrey Reynolds
    Geoffrey Reynolds

Comment

• Geof
      • May 2001

I have the new SW (version 3.3) loaded on the AVP and it does do 96/24 now (with no surround modes). It also permits the AVP to lock onto the DD or DTS signal faster (I have not yet played with that to see if it's noticeable).

I have also found out that several other DVD players use the pre-squeeze trick similar to the PVP. The feature is built into the Silicon Image de-interlacer chip.

Geof
      Geof

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"