• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Compact Flash card for Trevor!

1GB 2.4MB/s CompactFlash Card From Lexar

Now that so many people have moved from cameras that use traditional film to those that capture images digitally, quite a few vendors of solid state storage cards have taken to referring to the little gadgets as “digital film.” Lexar Media is one of those companies and just told us that it will be shipping a 1GB capacity CompactFlash Type II card the end of this month. Lexar says the 16X-speed 1GB Professional Series card clocks a sustained write speed of 2.4MB per second and has a suggested list price $1,199. Lexar Media's 16X-speed 1GB CompactFlash card will be demonstrated at the Photo Marketing Association International Conference and Trade Show (PMA) in Orlando, Florida, February 24-27. Lexar Media CompactFlash has upgradeable firmware, which allows the card to be optimized for specific camera models. They're also guaranteed compatible with CompactFlash digital cameras, and are USB-enabled. The 16X Professional Series and 12X High-Speed Series cards are covered by a lifetime warranty

• Bing Fung
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Aug 2000

That Lexar is really leading the way!

They say it's good practice to use many smaller cards rather than just one big card. By doing so you reduce the risk of losing everything if you happen to push the wrong button...etc.

Bing
    Bing

Comment

• JonMarsh
      Mad Max Moderator
      • Aug 2000

Bing is probably right, but I guess I violate that rule. But then, I'm only using "puny" little 128MB cards.

Another point, because they have a finite number of write/erase cycles on cells, you should fill it up complete before erasing, so that you aren't constantly writing and erasing the first quarter or so of the card- which might easily happen, if you're shooting locally, and not on vacation.

I think I'd have to upgrade to a higher res camera than my Sony DSC 770 before I'd need 1 GB, though! And what I use is full size PCMCIA flash format, though you can get adapters for compact flash.

-Jon

Earth First!
      M8ta
      Modula Neo DCC
      Modula MT XE
      Modula Xtreme
      Isiris
      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
      Minerva Monitor
      Calliope
      Ardent D

In Development...
      Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
      Obi-Wan
      Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
      Modula PWB
      Calliope CC Supreme
      Natalie P Ultra
      Natalie P Supreme
      Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
      Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Bing Fung
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Aug 2000

Heheh, that's perspective Jon.

A 128mb would be "p-un-nee" if you had a bunch of 512's as well, or the 512's would be "p-un-ee" if you had some 1 Gb's

Bing
        Bing

Comment

• Bing Fung
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Aug 2000

Mind you, 512 mb of data would be a lot of pictures to lose. That would equate to around:

320 pictures at 2048x1536
          608 pictures at 1024x768
          1204 pictures at 640x480

That could be a life time of pictures, well not really... but that's a lot anyway you cut it.

Interesting point on the write/erase cycles Jon. So if a person is constantly using only the first 1/4 of his card, that sector can actually go bad?

Good thing I generally fill my cards up, or use the smaller cards.

Bing
          Bing

Comment

• Trevor Schell
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Heh!Heh! Andrew.

Imagine the time to download the card also.

I have several cards right now, but find the 64 meg card to be the best for me and the 3.1 mega pixel camera resolution.

Not to big and not to small,,just right.

Trevor
            My HomeTheater S.E.
            Sonically Enhanced
            C5
            Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• Lex
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Apr 2001

Just right for what Trev, you got a bookshelf custom made for your cards now? how many you up to, 350?

I would have a hard time justifying more for memory than I paid for my camera. That's what laptops are made for, download, shoot again, download, shoot again.

come to think of it, I know it's not as portable, but for that money you could buy a laptop with a 20 gig HD, and a 64 meg card.

Lex
              Doug
              "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"