• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • audioqueso
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

PS3 Blu-ray Function dead?

Is anyone else having this problem?

After the last update 2.76, my PS3 stopped playing blu-ray movies. I've tried about 10 movies, and it doesn't work. I tried DVDs, it doesn't work. So it looks like it's the lens. But I try a game, and it works. However, in mid-game, I can NOT press the PS button. If I do, it freezes my system.

Then I do a search on the internet to find that there are tons and tons of people getting similar results after 2.76 update.

I found a 2.80 update, updated via USB stick, but no difference.

Anyone else having this problem?
    B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Huh... no, I just did an update about 5 days ago, and have been playing several BD's since. No problems. I've been wondering what the updates have been doing.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• audioqueso
      Super Senior Member
      • Nov 2004

The last one is suppose to speed things up. I know the XML menu did get faster... unfortunately, it didn't fix this blu-ray issue.

Comment

• audioqueso
        Super Senior Member
        • Nov 2004

Actually, it was working just fine (I was testing out a few BDs) after the update. I stopped, went out, and the next time that day that I tried to play a movie.
        I've been playing Ninja Gaiden Sigma just fine today... except I can't press the PS button. If I do, it freezes every time. The same with downloaded games that are stored purely on the harddrive.

Comment

• Alloroc
          Super Senior Member
          • Dec 2005

Yeah, this happened me late last year, I thing it was. It was a real pita. I had no idea what caused it only that it stopped reading all disks including games. I too thought the lens was fried. So after reading the various fora, the concensus was to do a full hard reset of the machine - it was not the lense but a software corruption. Hard reset as in kill it and loose everything - saved games and all. They said there was no point in backing up and restoring as it would re-introduce the corruption I did it anyway though.

I killed it (from the system menu (factory default, I think it was called)), and hey-presto normal service resumed. So, I restored the backup and corruption was back. So, killed it again and had to like with everything lost. To say I was pi$$ed off was an understatement. I had nearly finished GTA and LBP. I've not been able to even look at these - to start from scratch is soul destrying(why I let this get to me so much I'll never know!!!) On the bright side, all my playstation store purchased were there for re-download so that was not a problem.

Can't be certain that this is gonna work for you of course, but at this stage what have you got to loose?
          Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.

Comment

• audioqueso
            Super Senior Member
            • Nov 2004

Well, I think I'll try that right now. Luckily, I don't have many PS3 games. The only saves that matter are from Ninja Gaiden Sigma. I'm gonna try saving it anyway. I don't think it's the lens cause it reads Ninja Gaiden perfectly. It does sound like a software problem as even playing downloaded games freeze up if I press the PS button. Well, I'm crossing my fingers.

Comment

• audioqueso
              Super Senior Member
              • Nov 2004

Alloroc, it worked! You're my hero. :B

Comment

• Alloroc
                Super Senior Member
                • Dec 2005

Glad to be of assistance! :B
                Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.

Comment

• audioqueso
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Nov 2004

FYI,
                  I didn't do the BACKUP that you mentioned. I figured that would import ALL settings, and thus bring back the problem. I saved my individual game saves to a USB stick. Loaded them on the new image, and it worked.

Comment

• PewterTA
                    • Nov 2004

I had to do that a few weeks ago. I lost about 40GB of music that I had stored on there, not a big deal as I had put it on there before I served it all out.

Still a pain as I wasted a day or two working on it, I almost bought the new lense/transport for it to put in, luckily though I didn't waste the money. Course now I got a 500GB 7200RPM in it an I definitely like it better. Seems to run better now, though I'm sure that's just my imagination, I've seen the reports that a 7200rpm drive only adds a second or two to times.
                    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                    -Dan

Comment

• JustinGN
                      • May 2009

Just a lesson - always do regular backups of your PS3 Hard Disk. Corruption can strike anytime, anywhere, and it's best to lose a week or two of work instead of the whole frakking thing. The only thing that usually isn't backed up is purchased video content - something about DRM or some nonsense.

Comment

• PewterTA
                        • Nov 2004

yeah if only my symantec backup exec could backup the PS3!

Now that I have the fat32format 1.03 to allow for fat32 beyond 32GB, I'm all set for backing up my 500GB PS3 drive. :T

Can be found here if any of you want to use it...
                        Download FAT32format - Easily get your hard disk drive formatted in the FAT32 system with the help of this lightweight but powerful software application
                        Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                        -Dan

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"