X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Cleaning computer fans, etc

The fella that used to clean my computer twice a year has left the area. I've watched him doing it once and think I know what to clean, using one of those compressed air cans. Any suggestion on what I should or shouldn't aim that can at ?

Thanks from a computer challenged member.
    My Homepage!
  • Kevin P
    • Aug 2000

Just keep the can upright so the stuff doesn't come out in liquid form.

Be careful around the motherboard and chips, due to static electricity.

Concentrate on places where there's a lot of dust--fans, CPU heatsink, power supply vents.

Make sure not to over-rev the fans by blowing air on the blades. Hold the hub of the fan with your fingers if necessary to keep it from spinning.

When you're finished, power up the machine with the covers off and check for failed or noisy fans. Replace any that are dying.

I tend to use the vacuum cleaner on my systems, as I don't let them get too caked with dust. When I work on other people's PCs that are really gunked up, I'll take it outside and sick my air compressor on it.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

That's very helpful. Thanks, Kevin. Once I clean it good with compressed air, I'll do what you do and clean it frequently using my hand vac.
      My Homepage!

Comment

• 1oldguy
        • Dec 2008

All this talk of Clean pc's made me realize mine needed some attention.Just put the hair dryer to mine.They sure do get dusty.
        A Man should never Gamble more than he can stand to loose.

Comment

• Chris D
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Dec 2000

Another Newfie here! Wow, they're suddenly popping up all over the place! :T
          CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
          - Pleasantville

Comment

• 1oldguy
            • Dec 2008

LOl ...Well now And I thought I was the only one......:}

Comment

• PewterTA
              • Nov 2004

If you can, taking a pair of panty-hose and cut them out. Stretch and cover the fans or where it sucks in air then secure it with a little hot glue, makes a huge difference. I put it on all my fans and I only have to clean out the PC about once every 2 years and there's not much on it, just keep the "screens" clean.

I prefer black hose if you're going to do it so you don't really see it as much.

It came out lighter in the picture, but it's almost as black as the case itself and you can see where I didn't glue it and it's pulling back from moving to the new house. All I have to do is loosen the fan and stretch it back out.
              Attached Files
              Digital Audio makes me Happy.
              -Dan

Comment

• audioqueso
                Super Senior Member
                • Nov 2004

I use to put a sheet of fabric softener on the intake fans. That helped a lot back when I had a tower pc. All you had to do was replace the fabric softener sheet.

My place collects a lot of dust. And my HTPC has no intake fan. I seem to have to clean my HTPC once a week. I barely get so much dust on the exhaust fans, but instead on the intake holes. I don't even have an intake fan. Just 3 120mm exhaust fans. Yet the intake holes suck up all that dust.
                B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• 1oldguy
                  • Dec 2008

Originally posted by PewterTA
                  If you can, taking a pair of panty-hose and cut them out. Stretch and cover the fans or where it sucks in air then secure it with a little hot glue, makes a huge difference. I put it on all my fans and I only have to clean out the PC about once every 2 years and there's not much on it, just keep the "screens" clean.

I prefer black hose if you're going to do it so you don't really see it as much.

It came out lighter in the picture, but it's almost as black as the case itself and you can see where I didn't glue it and it's pulling back from moving to the new house. All I have to do is loosen the fan and stretch it back out.

I see you have a leg up on the competition :T
                  Now that really is a kinky idea. ;x( :B

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2001

Well I just finished cleaning the little bugger and all is well. Running quiet as a church mouse.
                    My Homepage!

Comment

• 1oldguy
                      • Dec 2008

Hi George, the strangest thing happened to mine after I dusted it.My USB for my mouse was failing and had to unplug and plug it back in often.It has become ever more stable since.Which is great since I need a boat load of gear as it is.

Comment

• Kevin P
                        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by 1oldguy
                        Hi George, the strangest thing happened to mine after I dusted it.My USB for my mouse was failing and had to unplug and plug it back in often.It has become ever more stable since.Which is great since I need a boat load of gear as it is.
                        Dust in the USB ports can cause this. Or, for front panel USBs, the connection to the motherboard needed to be jiggled to get better contact.

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"