Excel tip to get negative numbers in (brackets)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • P-Dub
    Office Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Excel tip to get negative numbers in (brackets)

Found out something in Excel/windows that has been bugging me for a while. Google is your friend!

I've hated how in Excel I could not get negative numbers to show in () when I click the "$" or "," button. I always ended up having to go into the formating section and to select it manually.

Where I'm working right now, I actually had to do a custom format. That was driving my batty! I knew there must be a way to either customize the button or worst case record some kind of macro. Well I found a simpler solution. It was in the Regional Settings.

Start>Settings>Control Panel>Regional and Language Settings>Regional
    Options>Customize>Currency>Negative Currency Format. Click on drop-down arrow and select the ($1.1)

Note: this is under the "Currency" tab in Regional Options. Changing under the "Numbers" tab only does not do the trick.

Apply and OK>Apply your way out.

I tested this and it works like a charm.

Oh the little things in life that make me happy.
    Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.
Working...
Searching...Please wait.
An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
There are no results that meet this criteria.
Search Result for "|||"