X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mazeroth
    • Nov 2004

Will the Excel W17EX002 do the job?

I posted a WTB thread on a few sites for some Seas Excel 6-7" mids. I got a hit for a new pair of Excel W17EX002s, which are no longer a current model. Can anyone tell me anything about these? I found some links on the net with more information about this driver. I could be wrong, but it looks to be more of a midrange than a woofer. This will be used as the mid in my new dipoles, which it will need to cross between 200-250hz:

He wants $175 for the pair, so I'm not sure if I should jump on it or not, seeing how it's a pretty old driver (was built in 1996).

Thanks!
  • Jed
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Mazeroth
    I posted a WTB thread on a few sites for some Seas Excel 6-7" mids. I got a hit for a new pair of Excel W17EX002s, which are no longer a current model. Can anyone tell me anything about these? I found some links on the net with more information about this driver. I could be wrong, but it looks to be more of a midrange than a woofer. This will be used as the mid in my new dipoles, which it will need to cross between 200-250hz:

He wants $175 for the pair, so I'm not sure if I should jump on it or not, seeing how it's a pretty old driver (was built in 1996).

Thanks!
    For that price I'd wait for some W18ex woofers.

Comment

• Mazeroth
      • Nov 2004

The problem is a pair of the W18s sell for $320 new. I bet a new pair would fetch $225+ on ebay or a message board, easy.

If these are as good as the W18s then I'll probably snag them.

Comment

• capslock
        • Dec 2004

Well, the basket openings are not as big as in the W18, and there is no venting underneath the spider, so rear radiation will be more obstructed, a slight minus for a dipole.

Also, I had a pair of W11 manufactured in 97 that had too thin a paint coating on the rear of the cone, so the magnesium had started to oxidize, with one particularly nasty bubble in one place. Fortunately, the seller took them back.

Comment

• Mazeroth
          • Nov 2004

Hmmm, now you have me worried :|

I guess I'll wait a bit and see if any W18s come up for sale. I have about a month before I'd need them in my project so if none come up by then I'll have to find another mid to use, because there's no way I can afford to spend over $300 on a pair of mids :cry:

Comment

• Jed
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Mazeroth
            Hmmm, now you have me worried :|

I guess I'll wait a bit and see if any W18s come up for sale. I have about a month before I'd need them in my project so if none come up by then I'll have to find another mid to use, because there's no way I can afford to spend over $300 on a pair of mids :cry:

Or offer him less than the asking price... much less for drivers that old and not current design.

Jed

Comment

• tf1216
              • Apr 2006

Comment

• Mazeroth
                • Nov 2004

Thanks for providing that link, however, I don't think I want a used pair for $72 off that have been in a truck for a year.

Comment

• tf1216
                  • Apr 2006

You are welcome Mazeroth!

I am in agreement with you not wanting the drivers after they have been installed in a truck for so long but I do suggest asking for pics. Some of these car audio guys baby their rides and do precision installs. There is a chance the drivers look brand new and still perform like it.

Also, keep your eye peeled to the ebay auctions. You may be able to get lucky over there.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"