• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jed
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Apr 2005

Excel W15CY vs. W15CH 300hz-1900hz

Hello,

Driver selection, as I have discussed at length with members at this board, is critical. Right now I am working with Roman to design a 3-way with RS28a, W22EX001, and either a W15CH excel or W15CY excel. He has simulated a fabulous design that uses the W15CY, but my attention has resently been drawn to the W15CH which seems to have a better magnet system and similar frequency response. Which driver would work best in a 3-way from 300HZ (2nd order) to 1900HZ (4th order)? We are looking at distortion characteristics, peaks in response differences, and the path for best pure midrange in an optimized closed box design.

Also, do the size of the inductors on the midrange affect sound quality? For example in one design for X-over the 15CY midrange system of inductors are composed of mostly 20 gauge. This seems a bit small for a midrange, but the system response is optimized for the smaller gauge wire, and larger gauge would just mean a bit too much sensitivity in the middle range. Since the W15CH seems to be slightly less sensitive, perhaps it would be a better match than the W15CY and I could use lower DCR coils? What do you all think. Just trying to make sure the W15CY or CH is the "best" choice etc......
  • Dennis H
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Aug 2002

The H appears to have higher distortion than the Y going by the Seas data sheets.

Comment

• Jed
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Apr 2005

It appears there are 2 sets of data charts for the CH driver- Madisound vs Seas website. Which ones are correct? For example the Madisound info shows a peak at 6K and the seas website one shows it at 8Kish. If used from 300-1.9K, how might one compare their distortion measurements as a system? Do the Neo magnets make a difference?

Comment

• Dennis H
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Aug 2002

Hmmmm, I was looking at the old data sheet. The new one (dated 6/05) on the Seas site doesn't include the distortion measurements so there's no way to know. It's disappointing that they've stopped including the distortion curves for all the new drivers released this year. I always found them helpful and was wishing they'd include them for the standard line as well. I guess they want to sell a lot of the new paper Excels.

Comment

• JonMarsh
          Mad Max Moderator
          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Dennis H
          Hmmmm, I was looking at the old data sheet. The new one (dated 6/05) on the Seas site doesn't include the distortion measurements so there's no way to know. It's disappointing that they've stopped including the distortion curves for all the new drivers released this year. I always found them helpful and was wishing they'd include them for the standard line as well. I guess they want to sell a lot of the new paper Excels.
          Yeah, whenever manufacturers start supplying LESS information than they have in the past, my natural cynicism starts to bubble to the surface...
          the AudioWorx
          Natalie P
          M8ta
          Modula Neo DCC
          Modula MT XE
          Modula Xtreme
          Isiris
          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
          Minerva Monitor
          Calliope
          Ardent D

In Development...
          Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
          Obi-Wan
          Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
          Modula PWB
          Calliope CC Supreme
          Natalie P Ultra
          Natalie P Supreme
          Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
          Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• capslock
            • Dec 2004

It would seem that the new data sheet is more correct, after all, cone and surround seemed to be identical in the CH and CY, so it was hard for me to understand why the CH would have a lower breakup node.

As for distortion, I've been wanting to do comparative tests myself, but this won't happen before late this summer. The CH uses iron rods to interface the top plate to the Nd magnets, so there is more unshielded iron in the system. This might result in higher distortion.

Comment

• Jed
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Apr 2005

I found out the data sheets at madisound for the W15CH were from a prototype. The actual correct data for this driver can be found at the seas website. The first resonance is identical to the CY. I think they will be nearly identical in performance with a slight edge going to the CH. We have worked some modeling with CH vs CY and it was easier to get a flat response with the CH for this system I mentioned. So I went ahead and bought some CH drivers.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"