X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • june
    • Feb 2005

Wireless Router???

hello all,

i'm looking to replace the comcast's WR with something recommended. moving for philly to collegeville pa and comcast is charging $150 to install a new WR. i'll also save $7 a month from leasing thier equipment.
    June
    "IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL"
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

I used to be all for Linksys but they have really gone down hill lately. I've been using Dlink for a while and they are excellent! I have the speedbooster 108g gaming router of theirs and its fantastic. It has a nice antenna so it is usable all over. Might be harder to find now though. You can get 802.11N but you really don't need it.

Comment

• dyazdani
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Oct 2005

I've got a Linksys 802.11N and it works well. I've got a D-Link router, but it isn't wireless, it also worked fine.
      Danish

Comment

• impala454
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2007

I've got a D-Link wired only gigabit router, as well as a D-Link wireless AP and both have worked great. Not sure if it's a requirement for you, but for me I want to make sure the wireless device (whether it's a router or separate AP) uses the standard antenna connector, so I can put my own antenna on it.
        -Chuck

Comment

• Hdale85
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

Yeah I believe all D-Links have a standard connector. I just mentioned the gaming routers antenna as its a quite good one factory. Better then their other standard routers. You really won't ever use more speed then 108g simply because of hard drive write speeds and what not are a big limit when it comes to wireless N. If you want the latest and greatest sure go for it but you may not see much of a difference between N and 108G. Also if your not transfering files between computers and what not then the network speed isn't so important at all as long as it can support your broadband speed.

Comment

• littlesaint
            • Jul 2007

You will still need to lease or purchase a cable modem. Did they lease you a router as well?
            Santino

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Comment

• PewterTA
              • Nov 2004

And if you have your phone through Comcast, then you can't just go buy any normal modem as the phone and internet go through the same modem.

I've not had problems with Linksys at all since cisco bought them out. Infact it's only gotten better, just make sure to buy any wireless router on line as retail stores prices are awful.
              Digital Audio makes me Happy.
              -Dan

Comment

• Hdale85
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2006

I've had some bad problems with Linksys since cisco bought them. Seems like their R&D department has gone to crap or something. Lots of other people I know have had issues. The last good router I liked from them was the WRT54G.

Comment

• Alloroc
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Dec 2005

I have the WRT54G and that was a really decent unit. I recently gpt a swanky Belkin N1 Vision with integrated DSL modem and honestly, it's junk. My one of my techie buddies swears by the Netgear Rangemax and I'm sorry I didn't get one of those or a new Linksys.
                  Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.

Comment

• Hdale85
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2006

Netgear is pretty good to for sure. Certainly avoid Belkin.

Comment

• PewterTA
                      • Nov 2004

I've gotten 5 Linksys (since Cisco) and set up for people and not one has had an issue... All were 2 WRT160N, WRT310N, WRT350N, and WRT600N. I also have a Wireless WRT54G and WRT610N at home for myself and never had a problem. Also nice (610) 1TB external drive attached for extra file storage.

Not saying Linksys is "the end all be all," but I just don't think they are bad. I also have installed many Dlink and agree they are quality. Belkin... UGH. lol

Anyone you go with will be a hit or miss on quality and reliability. Some all depend on where the router is placed as to how good it is. Which is nice to have a Airmagnet Spectrum Analyzer and Wi-Fi Analyzer to see how "conjested" the airwaves are.
                      Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                      -Dan

Comment

• Hdale85
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Jan 2006

Maybe the new Linksys stuff is coming around then. I used to be all about Linksys I promise lol.

Comment

• bigburner
                          Super Senior Member
                          • May 2005

I have the Linksys WRT54GS and it's a great piece of equipment.

Comment

• june
                            • Feb 2005

thanks all,

this is our choice
                            June
                            "IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL"

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            😂
                            🥰
                            😘
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😞
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"