X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Danbry39
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Sep 2002

Computer speakers

Have had a new computer for a couple of months, but the speakers truly suck!!!

I don't expect high-end speakers, but could anyone steer me toward a decent sounding 2.1 speaker system in the $100-200 range.

Not really a gamer, but I'd like to listen to music whilst puttering around on the computer.
    Keith
  • Kevin P
    • Aug 2000

I've always used Altec Lansing speakers, they're decent but not hi-fi by any stretch. Some guy on here built a set of speakers for his computer, check out the DIY section.

Comment

• Danbry39
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Sep 2002

Hey, thanks Kevin.

DIY kind of intimidates me. There have been times though when I tried something and was successful.

I'll check out the offerings by Altec Lansing and look up what was done in the DIY forum.
      Keith

Comment

• RH Customs
        • May 2006

Altec, I don't think so. Go for the Klipsch Pro Media 2.1, I bought the 4.1's about four years ago. I use the 2.1's on my laptop and 4.1's on the my desktops. Check out this link for the 2.1's,http://www.klipsch.com/product/produ...id=924&s=specs, and these are the 4.1's http://www.klipsch.com/product/produ...id=102&s=specs

I hope this helps, and you will not be disappointed.
        "Yes, but these go up to aleven" Spinal Tap

RH
        :-y

Comment

• Danbry39
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Sep 2002

I have a friend who swears by his Klipsh Pro Media speakers. I do have Klipsch speakers in our home theater #2. I see they're horn based as well, which would lead me to believe they will play the volumes I like to play at effortlessly, especially as I'll be sitting right next to them.

I suppose, dread of dreads, that I'll have to go do some side-by-side testing at a computer store. Don't know what I'll be able to tell because of the way they have them set up (usually in a long row down some aisle), but it should at least give me an idea.

I did a search and they can be had for $149 for the 2.1, with shipping tossed in and no tax. Sounds pretty tempting.
          Keith

Comment

• RH Customs
            • May 2006

Once you have a pair of Pro Media's you will never go back.
            "Yes, but these go up to aleven" Spinal Tap

RH
            :-y

Comment

• Vinny
              • Mar 2006

Try Klipsch iFi or Promedia 2.1. Someone listed Costco had iFi for 179, dunno whether they still have it but the speaker is their RSX series speakers as I could remember. Should be decent for the price
              Pioneer KRP-500M
              Emotiva UMC-1
              Parasound 5125
              Oppo BDP-83
              Klipsch RF-3II, RC-3II, RB-5II
              SVS PB-10NSD

Comment

• Danbry39
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Sep 2002

Woohoo,

Klipsch are getting a lot of votes. I'll stop by tomorrow and give a listen. If all goes well, I might even have a new pair shortly. My new computer cooks, but the speakers suck. Even when I upgraded on my last Dell, the speakers weren't the bee's knees. I know the sound card probably has something to do with it, but the speakers that come stock aren't exactly something to get aflutter about.
                Keith

Comment

• dyazdani
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Oct 2005

I have Altec's 2.1 system on my computer - I got it for free and I simply don't care about computer speakers ATM.

If I was going to get something in your range I would either build a DIY offering and get an inexpensive receiver or if you wanted to stick with a commercial model, go with the Klipsch.
                  Danish

Comment

• Danbry39
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Sep 2002

Well, I did some in-store listening and a great deal more googling on the internet and went ahead and ordered the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1's.

All I want is decent sound for a good price and the Klipsch sound even better than I thought they would. Didn't do an exhaustive listening session, but just a sampling.

Thanks for all the input. I'll let you know how I like them when they get here.

By the way, I've always liked the looks of the Swans. My only reservation there was that they don't have a sub and I was concerned as to how much they might lack in bass. They do look stunning though and Swan is a very reputable company.

I'll post a picture of those beauts in a minute or two.
                    Keith

Comment

• Danbry39
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Sep 2002

Here's a pic of those Swans.
                      Keith

Comment

• aud19
                        Twin Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2003

The Klipsch are likely your best "mainstream" choice. Otherwise you can get in to some pretty nice units like those Swans or other powered speakers like Genelecs etc
                        Jason

Comment

• Danbry39
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Sep 2002

Hey, hey, hey!

Well, I went and bought the ProMedia 2.1 today. After playing with the bass level and the positioning of the sub a bit (old audio habits die hard), I have to say they're (easily) the best computer speakers I've ever owned. I'm not looking for audiophile here, just nice, solid sound that won't make me grit my teeth while listening and these go way beyond that. So, thanks. :amen:

By the way, Aud, those Genelecs look killer...another league entirely.

Oh, and before I forget, it looks like the Swans will have a 2.1 system coming out shortly, but that's only internet rumor I heard.
                          Keith

Comment

• Danbry39
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Sep 2002

If the Swans do come out with the 2.1, I will be tempted down the line. Still, I'll be plenty happy with these for at least a couple of years.
                            Keith

Comment

• Danbry39
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Sep 2002

Then again, if my wife really loved me...
                              Keith

Comment

• junior77blue
                                • Nov 2004

so, what computer speakers are out there for $400-600 price range? Amplifed is nice, but not necessary.

2.0 is preferred.

Any brands that I should audition?

I would really like a good pair of monitors...hmmm

Comment

• Inu_Yasha
                                  • May 2006

400-600 I would definately recommend checking out the DIY section and looking at the Nat-P speakers if you have a reciever. Otherwise, check av123.com as they have some good speakers:

Comment

• ac81017
                                    • Aug 2006

Originally posted by Danbry39
                                    Have had a new computer for a couple of months, but the speakers truly suck!!!

I don't expect high-end speakers, but could anyone steer me toward a decent sounding 2.1 speaker system in the $100-200 range.

Not really a gamer, but I'd like to listen to music whilst puttering around on the computer.
                                    I know this sounds mad!! but I was given a bose am5 sub system, I got it runnning on an old sony amp from the 70´s! What a sound!! I know that bose is not a nice word to use, but it really does work well, and it´s a good size! I´m sure you can get one for next to nothing from Ebay!! :T

Comment

• Danbry39
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Sep 2002

Originally posted by ac81017
                                      I know this sounds mad!! but I was given a bose am5 sub system, I got it runnning on an old sony amp from the 70´s! What a sound!! I know that bose is not a nice word to use, but it really does work well, and it´s a good size! I´m sure you can get one for next to nothing from Ebay!! :T
                                      Well you never really know. I really have hated both Bose home and car audio equipment, but recently, when I took a test drive in a vehicle (Infinity) with an upgraded Bose package, I was surprised. The sound was full and not at all harsh, even from the radio. I had told the salesman that Bose was the main knock against the vehicle in my eyes, but had to admit to him that it sounded pretty darn good.

But, I'm still happy with my new Klipsch speakers for my PC. I wouldn't describe them as great, but they're better than any computer speakers I've previously owned...by a long shot. Then again, I've always stayed with the speakers that came with the computer until now.
                                      Keith

Comment

• comeup
                                        • Jul 2005

How do you guys feel about M-Audio. They're sold at Guitar Center. I'm thinking of getting the BX5a studio monitors. I heard a pair set up with a Mac G5 sounded great.
                                        Blake

Comment

• Chris D
                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Dec 2000

M-audio makes speakers? Didn't know that. There's a couple guys here on the forum that RAVE about M-audio computer devices though.
                                          CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                                          - Pleasantville

Comment

• aud19
                                            Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Aug 2003

Didn't know that either....they make great soundcards but I'd recommend you give the speakers a good listening to
                                            Jason

Comment

• comeup
                                              • Jul 2005

I first heard a pair a couple of years in a studio, expensive I assume they were very small with a big sound, of course they were in a studio. They were two-way powered monitors maybe with 5 or 6 inch drivers with one inch tweeters the sound was amazing. check this site out.
                                              Acclaimed audio interfaces, studio monitors, and keyboard controllers
                                              Blake

Comment

• sonicbaer
                                                • Jul 2006

I've got some Meridians M33's on my computer..they are hard to find now but I would think you could get them for not much more than 600 (I did..maybe I got lucky)

At first they weren't that impressive connected to my computer but I changed to high quality interconnects and isolated the speaker power from the computer power source ...now they sound pretty damn good...

It's all I have to listen to for now..til I get my stereo set up again..

Comment

• sonicbaer
                                                  • Jul 2006

Gee wizz

I feel like a thread killer...no new posts in a week

sorry :roll:

Comment

• comeup
                                                    • Jul 2005

Sonicbaer,

Don't feel like that, threads have to end sometime, I've ended a few myself I know how you feel. Sometimes it feels like a click going on. Anyways I bought a pair of M-Audio StudioPro 3 they sound O.K. I paid 99$ they look better than they sound no bottom end at all. The mids and highs are very clean and detailed and well balanced but had to add a small sub for the low end good thing I had one laying around. With the sub I give them a 5 star without a (3) I hate speakers without bass. These speakers do sound better than most computer speakers by far having such good midrange I understand why they are used in mini studios.
                                                    Blake

Comment

• sonicbaer
                                                      • Jul 2006

OK...I'm over it.... ...

Comment

• Brandon B
                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                        • Jun 2001

We have two pairs of the Klipsh iFi's in our house, but recently I hooked a pair of really old Infinity RS 2000's (little two way with their polycell tweeter and a 6" polypropylene mid) and an amp to mine.

I had been pretty pleased with the Klipsch until I did this, but at this point have decided computer speakers are just not for even semi-serious audio if they can be completely outdone by a pair of speakers that go for like $99 used on eBay.

And Sonic, now my post is the last, and therefore responsible for killing the thread. So if you post again, you're just asking for the blame.

BB

Comment

• sonicbaer
                                                          • Jul 2006

maybe not...maybe it just needed a little stoking...

you may think that a question about computer speakers is
                                                          pretty benign..not much to talk about..

Searching for computer speakers is what got me going again, after many years, in my quest for better audiophile equipment...

1 year ago I saw an add for some computer speakers at a local
                                                          HT shop...don't remember the name of the speakers..they sold out and they only had them for some Christmas special..

I had been searching for good computer speakers..but could find none that really satisfied me...so I thought ...why not see what the AudioFX has for my computer...one year, $12,000 + later I have my first real stereo system in 25 years... (lost my last one in a divorce)..I've learned more about audio equipment this last year than the last 25 years...all because I needed speakers for my computer..

good listening
                                                          Michael

Comment

Working...
                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                          Search Result for "|||"