X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ShaunD
    • Jan 2006

Using cabinets from retail speakers for diy speakers

A few years ago, I built a set of Modula MTs. They were amazing. Much has happened since then, and I no longer have them.

Since I do not have any tools to build cabinets, I was planning on just buying some cheap speakers and making do. It seemed building another set of Modulas would cost too much, and no other design I could find used pre-built cabinets.

But, one of the speaker sets I was planning on purchasing (http://www.thespeakercompany.com/LCR...ers-P41C6.aspx) is only $50 dollars a speaker, cheaper than the cabinets at PE. So I thought about using these to make some DIY speakers. They are somewhat small, 6 1/8"H x 14 3/4"W x 7"D

Would it be possible to use these to build something like the Bose Busters? Or any other design?

Another possibility is http://www.deepsurplus.com/Speaker-P...lack-Rackmount although the thread they are mentioned in someone says that they wouldn't make good normal speakers.
  • Dave Bullet
    • Jul 2007

At a minimum enclosure volume and baffle dimensions and driver placement on baffle would need to be the same. You have the issue of getting driver flanges to flush mount (common with most DIY designs but not all) and any gaps you need to fill or diffraction ripple will affect the response.

Anything commercial is built to a profit margin... so with cabinets that cheap you'll definitely need to brace / add damping.

Comment

• deewan
      • Feb 2009

Another option would be to order a kit which other DIY'ers offer to make cabinets for. One example on the PE forum is the TriTrix kit. I know of at least one guy on that forum who has offered to CNC cabinets for the kit and the price was very reasonable.
      The Old Woods Theater
      My Various Speaker Builds
      Statement II Remix build

"Aren't you a little short for a Stormtrooper?"

Comment

• acacia987
        • Apr 2009

parts express now offers them in a kit.

they even have the woofer/crossover kit.

$220 for everything (give or take), not to shabby.

Comment

• ---k---
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Nov 2005

I was also going to suggest the Tritrix kit from PE. I think it will work great for you. With the new knockdown enclosure kit, it is a great way to do DIY for those without the tools. You'll just need some clamps and glue.

Also, Nik Brewer who hangs out on the PE forum also does CNC boxes for very reasonable prices. He can do all the cuts and ship it to you in a flat pack for you to glue together. You can pick any DIY design you want and have him cut the peices for you.
          - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
          CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
          CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"