X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bobhowell
    • Jul 2008

DIY Speakers for a Panisonic CD/Radio SYS

I gave my wife a CD and Radio SYS, Panisonic- SA-PM53, several years ago. It has two speakers rated 6ohms each, but they are connected in a strange way. A set of connections go to the woofer, and a separate set to the tweeter. So are they customed to the system, with the crossover in the receiver side? If so DIY speakers are a challenge.

Any experience? Suggestions?

Thanks

Bob Howell
  • seattle_ice
    • Jun 2006

If you are saying that there are four terminals instead of just two on the back of each speaker, they are probably just designed to be bi-amped. That is a fairly common practice among audiophiles. Usually the crossovers are still in the speakers, they are just seperated to have an input for the low and high pass, to allow for individual amps to run each.

I don't know about that system, so I couldn't say for sure it was done this way. For all I know, it might have the electronics handling the EQ and just passing the signal to the speakers. You could always pull a driver out and look inside to see if there are crossovers.
    If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy!
    How to build a theater in 1,110,993 easy steps

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Click image for larger version

Name:	Panasonic.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	851892

Originally posted by bobhowell
      So are they customed to the system, with the crossover in the receiver side?
      Probably

If so DIY speakers are a challenge.
      Correct

Any experience? Suggestions?
      Find something else to do.....
      Last edited by theSven; 18 August 2023, 09:30 Friday. Reason: Update image location

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• ruseriousclark
        • Feb 2007

I own the system you are referring to and dabbled with the notion you've hit on. Thomas is right. Move on. The crossover network is internal. Cheap and unless you want to chance destroying the receiver best left alone.

I instead built a set of Zaph's bargain mini's and paired them with an 8" sub in a ported enclosure. Bought a cheap stereo receiver and use a old DVD player and iPod for inputs.

I donated the former to a coworker and adopted my new set up as the new office stereo. Vast improvement and money well spent. Probably have $160.00 in the whole thing.
        <-- Beware of Fluffy...He is the destroyer of Worlds!

Comment

• bobhowell
          • Jul 2008

Thanks for the info. I drop this idea.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"