power requirements for DIY speakers (matching a receiver)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bd1000
    • Nov 2009

power requirements for DIY speakers (matching a receiver)

I want to get into HT and plan on buying a receiver and trying to build a pair of front speakers to get started. I read over the DIY thread and decided to try the Natalie P's to start out with. Later I will try build a sub and then surround speakers (or upgrade and swap out the fronts).

I was wondering about the power needed for the various DIY speakers. I have read that unless you crank up the volume most aren't going to draw too much power. I don't plan on raising the volume up too much, and I'm mostly focusing on sound quality.

I was considering the Onkyo TX-SR607 because it seems to be well liked and in my price range.

I want to build a decent set of front speakers right now, but plan on expanding my system later. Will the 607 (listed as 90W @ 8 ohms per channel), be a good match for my current plans? What kind of DIY speakers will be in the upper range for this receiver's ratings (for example, would the statements be far "better" and not a practical match)?

I know there are a lot of variables to consider, but I just wanted to try and get some advice. I'm new to all of this and there is a ton of info to get familiar with. Any help would be appreciated!
    thanks
  • cjd
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Dec 2004

All but the lowest model Onkyo stuff is 4ohm stable, and very much so. I've run my big 3-ways quite loud on an Onkyo and they're really 3ohm and a tad difficult to drive. So that's a solid choice. Most DIY stuff is 4ohm, and a lot of more cost effective gear is definitely NOT.

Nat P is a great option, but budget and available space are the biggest factors in what makes sense to build.
    diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• bd1000
      • Nov 2009

thanks for the quick reply, cjd.

From what I have gathered I think that receiver should suit me well for any speaker I might want to build. Perhaps the more top-end DIY ones could use a more powerful amp but as long as I keep the volume reasonable I think it should be ok.

I just wasn't sure what approximate wattage levels these speaker builds should get, but I guess that is mostly a concern if you want to get the most SPL.

Comment

• technodanvan
        • Nov 2009

Keeping the volume reasonable for a 4-ohm load on most any receiver is a great idea. Like cjd and his Onkyo, I have run my Harman Kardon on speakers presenting a 4 ohm load for some time now with no issues. But i can get away with that because I live in an apartment and resist most temptations to crank it up...most of the time.

As for power they require, it's basically all about their sensitivity. The more sensitive the speakers are, the louder they will play with less power.
        - Danny

Comment

• Paul W
          • Oct 2004

Many new receivers are "value engineered" with relatively soft power supplies...they won't deliver the current needed for truly linear operation. One thing to look for is the power delivered with all channels driven. If 2-7 channel max power stays within a 10-15% window, the amp and power supply are probably at least decent quality. (I've seen 140 watt per channel receivers sag to 35 watts with seven channels driven...terrible dynamic compression.)
          Paul

Comment

• schnottus
            • Oct 2009

I use my Zaph ZA5 4ohm speakers with an onkyo tx-sr606 and it works great. I plan to upgrade to seperate amps eventually so I am safe for more demanding speakers but I have absolutely no complaints about my current setup..

Comment

• Face
              • Mar 2007

If you move up to the 707, you can add an external amp later on.
              SEOS 12/AE TD10M Front Stage in Progress

Comment

• ClosetSciFiGeek
                • Oct 2009

Buy a Receiver with Preamp Outputs for all channels

Make sure you buy a receiver with preamp outputs for all seven channels and the sub. Some lower line models only have preamp outs for the front right and left and even more only have a sub preamp out. This will allow you to run an external amp from your receiver. Emotiva has a few ideas about this. You can eventually run an XPA-3(3x200watts@8ohms/3x300watts@4ohms) into your left/center/right channels(where most of the sound comes from anyway) and have your receiver power only the rear four speakers(which will allow its weaker power supply to do a much better job). I think that would free up some of the other channels so you could still run 7.1 channel and drive those new Dolby height front channels for 9.2 if you wanted(I think the Onkyo-TXSR607 supports this, but if it is used with the receiver only you can only run 5.1 since the other two channels are used for the front height channels) There are other choices like buying a two channel amplifier like the UPA-2(125wattsx2@8ohms/185wattsx2@4ohms) to drive your two initial diy speakers and buy a five channel amp later. I saved up and went with the one box solution and bought the Emotiva UPA-7(125wattsx7@8ohms/185wattsx7@4ohms) I paired this with a used preamp the Outlaw 970 that I got for $250. I couldn't be happier and this is about the cheapest way to get into separates vice a receiver. The difference between my separates and my old Yamaha receiver is marked. Good luck shopping. By the way all the Emotiva stuff is on sale for the holidays($50-100 off). Here's some links:

Welcome to Emotiva Audio Corporation. Home Audio Systems, Speakers & Accessories and more. We use science to evoke the true emotion behind every note.

Welcome to Emotiva Audio Corporation. Home Audio Systems, Speakers & Accessories and more. We use science to evoke the true emotion behind every note.

Both Emotiva and Outlaw are some great online only companies that you should consider.

Good Hunting.
                "You get what you Inspect, not what you Expect"
                -Hyman G. Rickover

Comment

• ClosetSciFiGeek
                  • Oct 2009

Onkyo TXSR-607 Doesn't have Preamp Outs

Just looked at the Onkyo TXSR607 and it doesn't have all the preamp outs. You would need to go with a higher level Onkyo or consider buying a Yamaha RX-V665 that you can get cheaper and has preamp outs for all channels. I found the 665 for like $378 online here's the link:

This won't have the 4ohm stability of the Onkyo TXSR707, but it is half the money and you can expand with external amplifiers in future. After the bug has really bitten you then buy a preamp and move the receiver to your garage or bedroom.
                  -Hyman G. Rickover

Comment

• Carl V
                    • Apr 2005

I'm not familiar with that Yammy Model
                    However, Yamaha Rec'vrs i.e, A1000, A1, Z1 etc.,
                    have always driven my various DIY speakers quite
                    well. They also have Pre-out & Main in's...dual sub
                    out. Doing some side by side listening has proven their mettle.

Comment

• ClosetSciFiGeek
                      • Oct 2009

Spendy Receivers

Carl my problem with those Yamaha receivers is price. The Z1 is like four grand or something. I think this guy said he wants to get into home theater/music and those top end and wonderful Yamaha receivers are a little over the top. Almost bought a Z1 myself though. Nice receiver!!
                      -Hyman G. Rickover

Comment

• bd1000
                        • Nov 2009

Originally posted by ClosetSciFiGeek
                        Make sure you buy a receiver with preamp outputs for all seven channels and the sub. Some lower line models only have preamp outs for the front right and left and even more only have a sub preamp out. This will allow you to run an external amp from your receiver. Emotiva has a few ideas about this. You can eventually run an XPA-3(3x200watts@8ohms/3x300watts@4ohms) into your left/center/right channels(where most of the sound comes from anyway) and have your receiver power only the rear four speakers(which will allow its weaker power supply to do a much better job). I think that would free up some of the other channels so you could still run 7.1 channel and drive those new Dolby height front channels for 9.2 if you wanted(I think the Onkyo-TXSR607 supports this, but if it is used with the receiver only you can only run 5.1 since the other two channels are used for the front height channels) There are other choices like buying a two channel amplifier like the UPA-2(125wattsx2@8ohms/185wattsx2@4ohms) to drive your two initial diy speakers and buy a five channel amp later. I saved up and went with the one box solution and bought the Emotiva UPA-7(125wattsx7@8ohms/185wattsx7@4ohms) I paired this with a used preamp the Outlaw 970 that I got for $250. I couldn't be happier and this is about the cheapest way to get into separates vice a receiver. The difference between my separates and my old Yamaha receiver is marked. Good luck shopping. By the way all the Emotiva stuff is on sale for the holidays($50-100 off). Here's some links:

Both Emotiva and Outlaw are some great online only companies that you should consider.

Good Hunting.
                        thanks a lot for the info! It makes sense to spend a little bit more now and have the room to upgrade a lot in the future if I wanted to. Ill just have to think about it some more now.

thanks for the info everybody!

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"