X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Drewbert
    • Aug 2005

Need some advice guys- HTPC....

I have been searching around but I havent really found what Im looking for.
    I hate when people preface posts with posts like this, but I do not know about pcs..... Im trying to learn and it takes a lot of time that I dont have right now.... so the questions....

I would like to use my PC like a DVR and massive movie storage. I hear windows media center can control it, is this true? And if I have Direct TV or an external cable box is there away to bring that in via DVI or component?
    Also any video cards that have component or DVI inputs?
    Sound cards with optical inputs I have seen.... so thats the only easy part.
    I want the inputs on the PC so I can record certain things.... HDTV, moviebeam... Hey I got it for free so I thought Id try it....
    So what do I need to get this done?
    Thanks for the help!

Drew
    -Drew
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

This is a BIG topic with no quick answers but I'll see if I can help out a bit Otherwise though a HTPC is so extensive/multifunctional/diverse etc that it really requires a lot of googling, reading and research dependant on exactly what YOU want it to accomplish and how well (ie: $$$).

What you're looking for is called a "capture card" you can also get "tuner" (with built in NTSC/ATSC tuners) cards that allow you to tune in SD/HD from an OTA signal (or analog cable). As for STB's, currently there's no "easy " solution for connecting to a PC, at least for HD. What you will require is a STB with an active firewire port and a firewire card for your PC. There's a LONG thread on AVS describing how to get that to work. I've heard rumours of future capture/tuner cards that will allow you to plug in a "cable card" for HD but as far as I know that's not coming until the new version of Windows appears.
    Jason

Comment

• Drewbert
      • Aug 2005

Wow thanks for the info, I have been reading over there and I guess I will have to a lot. lol
      This is a good reference for what I need to look into, so again thanks
      -Drew

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

No worries, let us know what you end up with :T
        Jason

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"