• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KennyG
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Sep 2000

New htpc up and running!

Finally the new HTPC is up and running!
    This new build features the AMD 1.4ghz cpu with a Micro-Star MS6380 mobo (KT266 chipset) Radeon VE video card (ordered LE version, but got VE at no extra charge) my previous htpc's M-audio card (still not a better sounding card on the market) and a Zoltrix video capture card that was modified by someone else, then modified by me again.(with his instruction)
    It's been widely rumoured that the AMD platform will not work well with the M-audio cards...I can tell you this is wrong, with over a week of use I haven't had one hiccup with anything in this system! The M-audio card has it's own IRQ so perhaps this is why things are so smooth for me and not others...I really don't know.
    Using the ATI player this picture is noticably better than the old Elsa Gladiac/ winDVD solution.
    Video capture is something that still needs work, but signals from my directv reciever look better than I thought they would, and I think they can get better once I learn more about this card and the de-interlacing program I'm using.
  • Bing Fung
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Aug 2000

Good Job Kenny!

I suspect the sound card issues arrise from the VIA south bridge chip more than the Athlon. I have the notorious VIA Soundblaster live problems, studdering, clicks pops... etc. I have it to a point where it is bearable, but it's not 100%. It's driven me to think "INTEL" But then reality set in....

Good deal on the VE.

Bing
    Bing

Comment

• Trevor Schell
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Hey Kenny,

Sounds like you have a great system.
      Enjoy it

So are you going to go with the new case front when it is available?

Trevor
      My HomeTheater S.E.
      Sonically Enhanced
      C5
      Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• KennyG
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Sep 2000

Bing, I'm not sure how or why they screwed the order up, and I don't play games, so I don't think the VE is of any help to me...but I'll take it!
        Trevor, that is exactly why I bought the Antec 780b...that new face is a beauty!

Comment

• Bing Fung
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Aug 2000

Any time you get more for than what you paid, is good, whether you use it or not.

Be sure to include your system in the Member's Rigs thread. I think it will be a good tool to help trouble shoot or see how other's have configuered their PC's for their specific purpose.

Bing
          Bing

Comment

• JonMarsh
            Mad Max Moderator
            • Aug 2000

Congratulations on getting the new system going.

I've heard a lot also about problems with SB Live and Via, but none of my systems have given me any problems. The MSI MB has worked fine for me in the new gaming rig I bought; there it's runnning a Platinum SB Live.
            I like the 24/96 card for the HT also, but I'm getting a second one soon for my main workstation, because of some goofy audio things I've been trying for music on the PC- SACD records and plays back fairly well (analog input)(better than CD) at 24/96; it may not sound quite as good as the original, but I'm just playing with having a large disk respository for favorite music cuts, and also playing wave files from CD's. Maybe the double capacity Sony drives and CD would work well; I don't think DVD-R makes sense, yet, given the cost.

Enjoy the new system!

-Jon

Earth First!
            M8ta
            Modula Neo DCC
            Modula MT XE
            Modula Xtreme
            Isiris
            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
            Minerva Monitor
            Calliope
            Ardent D

In Development...
            Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
            Obi-Wan
            Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
            Modula PWB
            Calliope CC Supreme
            Natalie P Ultra
            Natalie P Supreme
            Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
            Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Burke Strickland
              • Sep 2001

How quiet is it?

I've just about had it with the PC currently in my HT making so much noise... it is not an HTPC, so I can turn it off when I get too distracted by it, but it sure does make me wary of having to depend on one to actually do HT stuff besides cataloging my LDs and DVDs, and giving me access to the HT-related Forums...

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍
              👎
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"