• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bing Fung
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Aug 2000

New Cordless PC Weapon!

I was finally able to get my much anticipated PC weapon :T

The Logitech MX 1000 Cordless Laser mouse.

This mouse replaces my much loved MX 700 MX cordless unit, that was looking a bit battle worn from use. I will probally paint up the old MX 700, however I have really been wanting this newer higher performace MX 1000.

The advantage of this cordless mouse is it packes a 800 DPI resolution with a 5.8 megapixels/per second image processing. This makes it the most accurate mouse available at this point wired or wireless. Quite frankly, I don't really notice any significant improvement over my trusty MX 700, however it's there in numbers with the slightly higher 5.8 MPs image processing. The old MX 700 has 4.8 MPs image processing, with the same 800 DPI resolution.

The Laser optical system in the MX 1000 is said to provide a better imaging system to the CCD camera over the standard LED system by allowing the cammera to image more precisely. Where this really comes into play is in rapid side to side movements, such as first person shooters, i.e. Spinning viewpoint perspective quickly ~180 degrees. Most optical mice tend to loose track of where they are, and where they have moved to when this command is requested. The cursor just sits there in the same place, not knowing that you had moved so rapidly. Kind of like snatching a table cloth out from under a table set with dishes. I know both my Microsoft Optical mice suffer from this fate. The Logitech MX system introduced a while back, really made advances in this department, and became one of the first optical and wireless mouse that was usable for hardcore gaming, indeed, the MX wireless mouse was even more accurate than any wired mouse, much less wireless.

I find I tend to get a bit spoiled by wireless mice, and I must admit, I have a soft spot for them. When I first went to the ultra fast mousing surfaces (Everglide mouse pads), I found you could really feel the cord drag on the mouse. Although this generally isn't a concern for most normal people, it was bother some to me... The MX 700 was my slavation, and I find it hard to go back to wired mice from this point on. Before I purchased the MX 1000, I purchased a MX 510 wired. While it was nice, I just found I did not like the restrictions posed by the wired system. I found I always had to work the mouse in it's set place on my keyboard tray. I could not just pick up the mouse and place it where ever I liked for a change of position. Many times I'll just place my wireless mouse on my lap (leg) and surf from there. With the multitude of buttons available, it was an easy task, I was always having to pick up the cord, and place it around my desk, which was driving me nuts. Anyway, enough about my virtues of wireless vs wired, we like what we like in the end.

This MX 1000 is a powerful weapon indeed, as it sports a much improved Thumb command and Cruise Control buttons. Rather than 4 induvidual buttons, the thumb command and Curise control are on rocker like switches. I find this much more ergonomic to use over the induvidual buttons of the older MX 700 design. The biggest improvements is to the Cruise control and the Task Switch buttons. Previously, the Cruise control buttons required cricking your fingers, or stretching them out to depress them. I found this to be uncomfortable, and as such never used them much. However now with the rocker switch, I find it a lot easier to use on a continued basis. The Cruise control allows a continuious smooth scroll with out having to roll the scroll wheel continuiously, all you do is press down.

Additionally the Task Switch is in a much more logical position. It is now placed on the Thumb command area, rather than a button on the very top of the mouse. The Task control button would be the same as pressing ALT+ Tab on your keyboard, allowing you to quickly switch between running applications, much improved! :T

Logitech has also added a side to side scroll on the mouse. By pressing the the mouse wheel to the left or the right, enables the window to scroll side to side. In execution I find it much more solid to use than the Microsoft system on my mouse at work. It just seems less bulky, and much more responses in side to side scrolling. The Scroll wheel has a very light detent, which I also prefer to the no detented MS mouse I have.

Another new feature is the battery status LEDs that indicates charge level of the mouse. During movement, the LED will illuminate showing the level of charge in the mouse. If the mouse is left inactive (~7sec) the LED will extingish. This is a nice addition, as many times with my old MX 700, the RED low charge LED would just start flashing, indicating it was low on charge, and I was once again a bone head for not placing the mouse in the charging cradle to charge. Additionally, the MX 1000 has a on/off switch on the underside of the mouse. This is a nice feature, for I know with my MX 700 (no on/off switch) it would lose power in about 3 days (if i forgot to place it on the charge cradle), due to the constant communications 4.8MPs transfer updates required, it really sucked the juice. So Now I have 2 excuses to be a bone head, forget to place the mouse on the charging cradle, or forget to turn it off :B Of note, the Li Ion cells are not user replaceable on the MX 1000. The MX 700 Had 2xAA Li Ion cells.

Operation wise the mouse is very smooth and precise. It has no lag what so ever, and the cursor tracks like nothing else. I quickly ran it through AUTOCad, and a quick game of Desert Combat and UT2002. It was flawless and had great precision. Now if only I could something like this to replace my Microsoft Bluetooth mouse for my Laptop :twisted:

All, in all, This is a great new Weapon for the PC, and I was happy to finally get it.

Cosco $89 :T
    Attached Files
    Bing
  • Bing Fung
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Aug 2000

Here is a screen capture of the Logitech Set Point Drivers

Attached Files
    Bing

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Very nice Bing. I have the MX510 and for me its a big step up from what I had before. The cord is a bit of a drag but frankly I hardly ever game and I've got a big desk so its not really that much of a factor...still the MX1000 looks to be a very nice mouse indeed

Comment

• Trevor Schell
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

I find I tend to get a bit spoiled by wireless mice, and I must admit, I have a soft spot for them.
        Bing!,
        Does that mean it is squishy??
        I have a squishy and I squeeze it all the time.:B

BTW,,Great review,,I may have to get one for the Silver Stealth.
        Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• Bing Fung
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Aug 2000

Trev, I think you have a "Double Barreled" Squishy that you squeeze all the time :rofl:

I think many of us do.. :boobies:
          Bing

Comment

• Chris D
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Dec 2000

Wow, cool beans. I think I hear the Hallelujah chorus somewhere. I might have to get me one of those!
            CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
            - Pleasantville

Comment

• Trevor Schell
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Still recommend the Mouse Bing!?
              Staples has it for $99.95 from regular $119
              Your $89 at Costco was a real good deal..:T
              Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• Bing Fung
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Aug 2000

I still recommend this mouse :T

The only thing better than 1 MX1000, is 2 MX1000's :B

:T :T :T :T :T

This came in the mail today. Logitech sent me this as a replacement for my MX700 I sent in for warranty work. You should have seen that MX700, it was beat and worn. I had used it for 2 years or more, and they replaced it with this. Thats a great warranty!

This one is slightly different as it does not have the gloss finish and is matt. Also the bezel surrounding the scroll wheel is all silver versus the black of the one I bought, very minor stuff. It also feels slightly lighter (very slight). The one Logitech sent has a larger serial number so I suspect it to be a newer one. I actually preferr the older model, as the smooth high gloss feels better in hand, and the scroll wheel feels slightly tighter in side to side movement (I'm just nitpicking).

I'm going to install this one into Katherine's room.
                Attached Files
                Bing

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"