X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Wireless keyboard & mouse combo's

With my HTPC project well underway its time to look more seriously at the wireless keyboard & mouse combo's and it seems there's only one clear winner in the Logitech bluetooth combo that has both the range and the response to keep up with FPS games like Unreal etc. The problem is its $$$$ and given that I hope to use my pronto to do most of the controling of the HTPC I'm not willing to part with that much money. Microsoft has a bluetooth combo out that's $100 cheaper but the reviews aren't as strong esp for the mouse if you want to game with it. All the RF units suffer from range issues so that really only leaves me with the Gyration unit. Its interesting b/c it uses gyro's in the mouse so that you don't have to use it on a table..ie it works in the air with gestures if you set that up in the software. This isn't "cheap" either but its cheaper then the Logitech and available locally at Future Shop so I'll likely give it a try this weekend. Its very popular in the HTPC circles but they're had some QC issues with the receiver that made a few people upset...those seem to be fixed now though and given the return policy FS has I'm willing to give it a try. I'll update this thread when I've given it a go and let you know what I think

Gyration Ultra

• aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

FYI, my brother uses the gyration unit and loves it. Let us know how it goes, can't wait to here your comments when everything's done too

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
    Jason

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Jason well that might not be so easy :evil: I called my local FS this afternoon and even though their web site says that they have them in stock they're actually out...no problem I'll call the other store that's not too far away....well they didn't even answer the phone so screw them I'm going to order online. This is the second time recently that I've tried to buy locally only to find they don't stock the item I want or its sold out or its just twice the price of all the online sites. I don't mind paying a little more but in the case of the MX Duo its significantly more locally :roll: and forget about Bluetooth no one carries them :M

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

Andrew, I'm going to follow this thread. I'll be needing a wireless combo for a future HTPC of some sort, whether it's a PC or laptop, but I had just assumed that any decent set would work. I'll look into the Gyration unit. Now do you have any details on the Logitech set? When you say $$$$, how much are you talking?

CHRIS
        Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
        - Pleasantville

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

chris here's the MS bluetooth unit
          Microsoft bluetooth

and here's the Logitech one

Logitech bluetooth

As an addendum to my rant above I just finished calling Staples, Office Depot, Future Shop, CBit and Compusmart and none of them stock bluetooth equipement. Most said they could order it in but if I have to wait for them why wouldn't I just order it online myself and pay far less too boot? :roll:

Comment

Working...
          😀
          😂
          🥰
          😘
          🤢
          😎
          😞
          😡
          👍
          👎
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"