X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Atrophy
    • Sep 2004

Decisions, decisions

I moved across the country recently, and have finally got a home out in Virginia. I've decided to look into setting up a decent room for TV and movie watching out there. Next month I'll be buying the setup.

My wife and I are all over the map for viewing habits. We're setting this up in our family room, which isn't exactly flooded with light, but it's not a basement room either. We watch a lot of TV (TiVo or satellite), we watch a TON of DVDs, and I game all the time. Of course, I don't want to make compromises, so I want the TV I pick to handle all of these well.

I plan to pick up a Dennon DVD-2900 for DVD playing, so the source should be good quality.

The many technologies available today make picking a TV a bit difficult though, especially with the CRT technologies so heavily discounted.

The room is 20x14, though the fireplace is situated where I'd like to put the TV. This means that I'll be setting the TV against the 20 foot wall most likely, and viewing it from 14 feet away.

Here are the TVs I'm considering. If you've been in a similar situation and picked one from the list, or if you have feedback on any of the TVs, I'd greatly appreciate your advice:

Panasonic TH-42PA20U 42" plasma
    Sony KD-34XBR960
    Sony KDP 57WS550
    Sony KDP 57WS655
    Mitsubishi WS 55615
    Mitsubishi WS 55515

Thanks for any help or direction!
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Well for CRT based RPTV's I like Mitsubishi and Hitachi and that's what I'd normally recommend. However you mentioned that you "game all the time". As such I'd think one of the DLP based RPTV's might be better for you. Any posphor based displays (CRT's/Plasma's) run the risk of image burn in on stationary images and gaming "all the time" could do that. I assume that because you have the Panasonic plasma in your list, that you have a big enough budget for DLP set. If you can try to get one of the newer sets with the HD2+ TI chip.

Another option might be to get one of the smaller "tabletop" CRT RPTV's for daytime/casual viewing and one of the low-mid priced LCD front projectors for movies and night viewing. Nothing like a big screen! :yesnod: This would give you the best of both worlds and would likely run you about the same or a little more than a low-mid priced plasma.

Jason
    Jason

Comment

• Atrophy
      • Sep 2004

Thanks!

I'm looking at spending 2-3k for the TV.

I suspected that a standard CRT, like the 34" Sony Wega, wouldn't have the issue with burn-in. Am I incorrect in that? I'd say on a bad week the TV would see about 20-30 hours of gaming use.

I'm fond of the Mitsubishi and Sony lines. I actually found the Panasonic plasma and Sony 34" here in Utah (on vacation currently). I liked the looks of both, but I think I'd pick the Sony between the two.

Of the rear projection DLP TVs in the 48" to 57" range, which are the favorites around here?

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

Any CRT display can have issues with burn in, RPTV or direct view.

As for DLP...

Samsung's been doing it the longest so they're generally a good place to start and they have new Texas Instruments HD2+ sets coming out next month which should offer the best black levels yet. RCA, Panasonic, LG/Zenith and Toshiba all have sets out or coming out utilizing DLP technology. Check out this link for DLP info:
        digiupdate.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, digiupdate.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

I still say something like a HD 30" 16:9 or even a 4:3 set for $600 - $1000, and a $1500-$2000 LCD front projector with an inexpensive or DIY screen would kick some serioss @$$ for you :yesnod:

Jason
        Jason

Comment

Working...
        😀
        😂
        🥰
        😘
        🤢
        😎
        😞
        😡
        👍
        👎
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"