X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • masman71
    • Aug 2004

Advice

My friend is looking for a new HDTV and his wife has put his budget at $2400 dollars. He will be using it in a smaller room mostly for TV with some dvd. He doesn't want to buy a CRT because of the size. Under these circumstances does anyone have any recomendations?
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

A smaller DLP RPTV would be a good option or if he has light control a projector. LCD is another option but likely out of his budget.

It's a shame, he could get a really nice CRT RPTV for that

Jason
    Jason

Comment

• Kevin P
      • Aug 2000

What size screen is your friend looking for? How big is the room? How far away will he be sitting from the TV?

Comment

• masman71
        • Aug 2004

I am not sure of the size of his room but I know that he lives in a smaller sized apartment. He told me that he found these two TVs in his price range:
        Both Panasonic
        1.)
        PT-43LC14
        43" Diagonal LCD Projection HDTV Monitor with Photo Viewer SD / PCMCIA Card Slots

2.)
        TH-37PD25U/P
        37" Diagonal Plasma TV with Built-In ATSC/QAM/NTSC Tuners and CableCARD Slot

Has anyone had any experience with these. Are these worth his money?

Comment

• aud19
          Twin Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2003

Shane and Brandon both seem to like the Panasonic's. Check out this thread:

Plasma's do tend to be more $$ for a given size and decent PQ compared to other technologies though.

Jason
          Jason

Comment

• Shane Martin
            Super Senior Member
            • Apr 2001

The Pansonic 42" Plasma would probably fit the bill. I don't think you can get a 42" Rear Projection LCDTV for that yet nor can you get a DLP for that.

Plasmas aren't for everyone though.
            Plasma's do tend to be more $$ for a given size and decent PQ compared to other technologies though.
            It is a shame because he could get a 65" RPTV for that.. Granted that is too big, but a 48" Mits would be nice(and IMHO not soo big). Those run around $1600.

Comment

• Kevin P
              • Aug 2000

Note that the 37" Plasma mentioned above only has a resolution of 854 x 480. Adequate for DVD and cable but not HDTV. This is typical of cheaper plasmas.

At that size and price range, you're better off with a LCD, whether direct view or rear-projection. Or a CRT, which will give you the best possible picture, at the expense of a bigger box and a little more tweaking.

Comment

• Shane Martin
                Super Senior Member
                • Apr 2001

Or a CRT, which will give you the best possible picture, at the expense of a bigger box and a little more tweaking
                True but he didn't want that apparantly.
                At that size and price range, you're better off with a LCD, whether direct view or rear-projection.
                Right but he's not going to get one for that price unless he goes with something below 35"(30" range to be honest).

The 42" Sony Wega is the cheapest LCD out there and it is above his budget by $500ish or so last I looked. I strongly considered their LCD until I kept getting scared away by the bulb issues they were having.

Comment

• aud19
                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2003

Yup at that price range he's either looking at a pretty small set (LCD or DLP RPTV's) or an inexpensive front projector and depending on how deep the room is and how much light control there is he may or may not be able to do FP. A "Table Top" 42+" CRT RPTV would be great for PQ and budget if he doesn't mind a slightly deeper box though at that size they're not all that big either. Still the best route for the $$ IMO if he can handle a few extra inches in depth. The biggest problem with getting any of the thinner displays at that budget is that they're the lowest quality versions of those technolgies and as such PQ and reliablilty suffer.

Jason

Jason
                  Jason

Comment

• willbrosk
                    • Sep 2004

Well not sure if this is an option but you can obtain the Sony’s KF-42WE610 for 2200 including taxes and shipping at several online retailors. I actually picked up a refurbished Sony KF-60we610 for 2400 shipped

Comment

• steffche
                      • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Kevin P
                      Note that the 37" Plasma mentioned above only has a resolution of 854 x 480. Adequate for DVD and cable but not HDTV. This is typical of cheaper plasmas.
                      I beg to differ.....only because I have seen two philips 42" plasmas side-by-side where one was HDTV and the other was EDTV. Both were hooked up to the same HD Set Top box, and I couldn't for the life of me tell the difference between picture quality........ 8O
                      Last edited by aud19; 16 September 2004, 11:43 Thursday.

Comment

• aud19
                        Twin Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2003

1- You're lucky.

2- Buy the cheaper one :lol:

Jason
                        Jason

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"