• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bam!
    Super Senior Member
    • Jan 2004

RPTV Bulb Life?

Hey guys!

I was at an audio shop this weekend and the salesman told me that when you buy a Hi Def RPTV there is a bulb life like a FP..so I shouldn' t start watching any type of shows with it cause I will be changing the bulb quickly... 8O 8O 8O

I am almost embarassed to ask this...

From my uderstanding if you buy a CRT Cathode Ray Tube you have three guns that fire on a mirror....it last forever or just about...

Lcd Liquid crystal display..for RPTV what happens?

Mostly for me the question is on CRT tv's that are Hi DEF...

Thanks!

Bam!
    Got a nice rack to show me ?
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Well he's not entirely wrong... but he's not entirely right either... (salesmen...eesh :? )

First of all RPTV means a whole lot of things. There are LCD, DLP, LCOS and CRT based RPTV's. Of them you can have SD, ED and HD versions of some/all of them.

Chip based sets (LCD, DLP & LCOS) use a lamp as a light sources and the chips to creat the image. CRT based sets have CRT guns that "shoot" the image on to a mirror and then the screen. All of them have slowly decreasing light output one way or another as does plasma and anything else out there.

I'm not sure about LCD and LCOS but I assume they're the same or similar to DLP which if I remember correctly has bulbs that are expected to last approximately 3 years with "normal" viewing. When you do need to replace them they're currently about $200-$300 if I remember correctly. That price is more likley than not to go down as more people buy the sets and hence more replacement bulbs.

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
    Jason

Comment

• Bam!
      Super Senior Member
      • Jan 2004

Hey there Jason!

So what you are saying is for Cathode ray tube tv`s there is NO bulb since it is three independant guns right?

When you go into an lcd or dlp display there is a bulb to replace right?

Thanks so much... I am blown away by this actually....

Bam!

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

yup

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
        Jason

Comment

• Brandon B
          Super Senior Member
          • Jun 2001

There's a little exaggeration going on in the new LCD/ RPTV industry too. Sony's units are essentially the same as the HS20 FP repackaged into a box, but they are quoting 8000 hour lamp life for the things. This is the same type and technology as the lamp in the FP, which is rated at 2000-3000 hours.

Turns out you CAN leave it in the RPTV for 8000 hours, but your picture will be down to like 15% brightness.

Upshot is, you will get far longer life out of a CRT type, that would be one of it's advantages.

I would realistically not expect over 4000 hours out of any projector in a box type RPTVs (LCD/DLP/LCOS).

My dad has had one of the 60" LCD XBRs for a few months now. We'll see how his does.

BB

Comment

• Brandon B
            Super Senior Member
            • Jun 2001

Well, at around 600 hours of use, my dad's 60" XBR LCD RPTV (2003) is noticeably, but not substantially dimmer. Checked it out last weekend. Will update again in a few months.

BB

Comment

• Bam!
              Super Senior Member
              • Jan 2004

8O

600 hours! 8O

Bam!

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍
              👎
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"